frequent slepless for few days, what this symptom?

momtaz

Hello guys,

A friend of mine, he is in early of 50s, no drink alcohol, no smoke,

having a stable job and somehow a life,

He started to experience sleepless for 2,3 or 4 days (sometimes) and still performing his duty jobs,

As I heard he consulted with a psychologist, often taking some pills, but this still coming to him,

I really wondered what this health condition to be diagnosed? or to be a symptom of what?

anyone experienced? or heard about such? or recommended treatment?

Will appreciate your recommendation and shared comments.

Hi, do you mean he cannot sleep for up to 4 days at a time repeatedly or has it only happened once? If it's just once, I agree with tonray that it's quite common due to caffeine, stress and worry. If it's happened repeatedly then CharlieH is right that he should seek professional advice. You can't get people to diagnose on the internet, it could be anything, you need a professional to go through all the possibilities with the patient. Tell him good luck and I hope he gets better soon.

thanks for all replies,,

He is not a smoker, or coffee / tea drinker, away from all these narcotics,

to my knowledge, he consulted with a psychologist who described some medics for him for sleep,

but the case often repeated again and again,

my asking in this forum is just to have some ideas or some shared experiences that possible someone here experienced this issue or his/her family member,

However, appreciate all your comments and replies with lot of thanks.

Did he consult a psychiatrist or a psychologist?

Psychologists do not prescribe medications, though they may refer the patient to a doctor for a prescription if they think it necessary. they provide counselling/therapy, which takes multiple sessions and is probably what he needs.

Psychiatrists tend to spend only a very short time with the patient and reach pretty quickly for a prescription pad.

He is unable top sleep because his mind is not at ease, something is troubling him even though he may not be aware of what it is.

I suggest he get some sort-term therapy rather than relying in medications. See the Mental health Resource list pinned at the top of this forum for suggested places.

• 2 weeks later...

cut caffeine to zero, make your bedroom absolutely dark and quiet, count sheeps and don't think about problems...otherwise take some melatonine

Won't the sheep make that damned bleating noise all night while you are trying to sleep ?

Has he had a complete health check-up? Some conditions, like heart rhythm irregularities, can cause problems with sleeping.

If he's overweight, it's possible he has sleep apnea and the condition is making for sleep that isn't restful. One result of this condition is dangerously high blood pressure. Is your friend monitoring his?