Brexit: what can UK contribute to the world/EU?

sawadee1947

It is the EU lefties that are at fault for admitting Greece without doing due diligence.

Had anybody stated the fact that Greece is massively corrupt and that tax evasion is a national pastime the pc EU lefties would have prosecuted them for racism.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to know the truth about the EU,which has been blacked out for many,many years now then look no further than the utter destruction of Greece!

It's not the EU's fault that Greece decided to let people such as hairdressers retire at 50 on 95% of their final salary.

It's not the EU's fault that Greece doubled the salary of public sector workers.

It's not the EU's fault that the country is massively corrupt.

It's not the EU's fault that tax evasion is the country's national pastime.

This is something that the Greeks have solely brought upon themselves; don't blame the EU.

Thank goodness that the UK is outside the Eurozone, so doesn't have to contribute to propping up this fiscal basket case.

No,but its the EUs fault for letting them get away with it for so long

So are you saying that the much hated Brussel elite should have interfered more in the "internal affairs of the Greeks"?

I agree that Greece should never have been allowed to join the Euro zone in the first place and that it was a huge mistake by the other Euro zone members. But blaming Greece´s profligacy entirely on the EU, as I believe you are trying to do with your comment above, is, imho, ridiculous.... This is like an obese person who eats fatty fast food every day and then puts the blame for being fat on the government for allowing fatty food to be sold to him. Or the smoker who gets lung cancer and then blames the government for not banning these surprisingly unhealthy cigs and so on.....

"They will give it plenty of laughs at least, if they leave.

Aside from that, with generally badly educated kids (that still end up leaving education with debt they will be paying off for years), no natural resources and no particular strengths, practically it can contribute very little.

The UK's sole strong industry within this century has been finance and banking, and that failed spectacularly in 2008, hasn't really recovered and will get worse with an EU exit."

Yes we were quite bitter when the British Empire declined as well so we know how you feel,American aren't you?

So are you saying that the much hated Brussel elite should have interfered more in the "internal affairs of the Greeks"?

I agree that Greece should never have been allowed to join the Euro zone in the first place and that it was a huge mistake by the other Euro zone members. But blaming Greece´s profligacy entirely on the EU, as I believe you are trying to do with your comment above, is, imho, ridiculous.... This is like an obese person who eats fatty fast food every day and then puts the blame for being fat on the government for allowing fatty food to be sold to him. Or the smoker who gets lung cancer and then blames the government for not banning these surprisingly unhealthy cigs and so on.....

Agree 100% with the emboldened part.

Well they seem good at interfering in our internal affairs,so why not Greece's?

Oh, yes, it´s only us poor little Brits that are being unfairly targeted by the hostile EU. Ooooohh....... ;-))

Oh, yes, it´s only us poor little Brits that are being unfairly targeted by the hostile EU. Ooooohh....... ;-))

Not saying that ,but if they say jump our govt says how high,? Other country's just take no notice it seems

If you want to know the truth about the EU,which has been blacked out for many,many years now then look no further than the utter destruction of Greece!

It's not the EU's fault that Greece decided to let people such as hairdressers retire at 50 on 95% of their final salary.

It's not the EU's fault that Greece doubled the salary of public sector workers.

This is something that the Greeks have solely brought upon themselves; don't blame the EU.

Thank goodness that the UK is outside the Eurozone, so doesn't have to contribute to propping up this fiscal basket case.

You really really ain't that bright are you.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You really really ain't that bright are you.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Judging by the way you write about posters that disagree with you,you sound a bit on the stupid side yourself ,

Pensioners literally blowing their brains out in the town square,here's a terrible article about it in today's Daily Mail :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3647600/We-told-EU-makes-stronger-haunting-dispatch-despairing-destitute-Greece-make-change-mind.html

"One result of this systemic poverty is that the social structure of Greece is changing. Three generations are moving into one house where there is one electricity bill to pay."

I was under the impression this was the traditional way Greeks lived!

It's the way people in Britain will be living soon.

It looks to me like the EU is the cause and not the cure.

Im sure Australia would like all the S.E. Asia nit wit Countries having a say in their Laws n Rules. Japan saying how big a Barby should be, yet Brits put up with it, just get out ENGLAND before they or the Dole Beggars n Islamic Nutters skin yer, your too soft.

""One result of this systemic poverty is that the social structure of Greece is changing. Three generations are moving into one house where there is one electricity bill to pay."

I was under the impression this was the traditional way Greeks lived!
It's the way people in Britain will be living soon.
It looks to me like the EU is the cause and not the cure."

Trying to explain economics,austerity measures,the straight transfer of wealth from the EU to French and German bankers via Greece's debt to the mentally challenged on here is a waste of time I'm afraid! facepalm.gif

Considering this what actually we would miss if UK will leave EU? Is there anything what UK could deliver in the past/or future?

I remember there was a time of car production, but now in German's hands (God sake, quality improved). Steel? Gone. What else beside some financial business? Cheddar? 5555, any food? Disgusting! Fish and chips? With vinegar? It's hard core! Maybe I forgot something, so you can help me...??

steak&kidney pie, haggis, coal from Newcastle, knighthoods for plagiary songs, bitter foamless drinks called ale, arse-itects who can design eggshaped bank buildings... unsure.png

"steak&kidney pie, haggis, coal from Newcastle, knighthoods for plagiary songs, bitter foamless drinks called ale, arse-itects who can design eggshaped bank buildings..."

British ale is truly a wonderful thing,the taste of the hops of a good Bitter,IPA or Porter/Stout makes life worth living! biggrin.png
Can you honestly say that you've tried a good one,like Old Peculier for instance?For a good Porter/Stout as everyone likes Guinness go to your local Tops market and buy a 500ml bottle of Fuller's London Porter,it's award winning beer and way better than Guinness.
Chill it in the fridge overnight then drink it and as it warms up in your hands you'll start to taste it more and more,what could possibly be better? laugh.png

As an outsider it doesn't concern me one way or the other which way the Brits vote. But should they vote to leave I've been reading about dire warnings of a major drop in the UK Pound on the international markets. As much as a 20% devaluation! Wouldn't this have a major impact on the living standards of British pensioners living here in Thailand? I'm just wondering if this would result in many being forced to return to the UK? Any thoughts?

"As an outsider it doesn't concern me one way or the other which way the Brits vote. But should they vote to leave I've been reading about dire warnings of a major drop in the UK Pound on the international markets. As much as a 20% devaluation! Wouldn't this have a major impact on the living standards of British pensioners living here in Thailand? I'm just wondering if this would result in many being forced to return to the UK? Any thoughts?"

Yes a significant drop in the GBP would be like turbocharging the UK export market,contrary to popular belief a weak currency is actually a very good thing for any country these days.No country in this climate really wants a strong currency although the USA are trying to pretend they do,as the USD capitulates across the board against all the majors!
Of course a Brexit will reverse this on Friday in a big,big way as the US Dollar is a safe haven currency,along with the JPY (best performing currency of 2016 so far) and CHF.

"As an outsider it doesn't concern me one way or the other which way the Brits vote. But should they vote to leave I've been reading about dire warnings of a major drop in the UK Pound on the international markets. As much as a 20% devaluation! Wouldn't this have a major impact on the living standards of British pensioners living here in Thailand? I'm just wondering if this would result in many being forced to return to the UK? Any thoughts?"

Sorry to answer your question it's unlikely apart from the very short term that Brexit will have any big effect on the cross rates with the Thai Baht,of course in the mid to long term the weakened currency will appreciate very quickly as the export markets are driven by the devaluation.Just look at how the German economy is booming on the back of the artificially weak Euro (and of course the destruction of the economies of the PIGS - Portugal,Italy,Greece and Spain!)
A German Euro is worth around USD $1.70-1.80 a long way from the USD $1.1250 it's trading at now,whereas a Greek Euro is worth around parity or USD $1.00 or probably even lower at $0.80-0.90 cents!
So,no there will not really be any huge change or upheaval regarding the Thai Baht,the devaluation will be against the major currencies and not even all of those,the exotics like THB are perfectly safe no need to panic! wai2.gif

"steak&kidney pie, haggis, coal from Newcastle, knighthoods for plagiary songs, bitter foamless drinks called ale, arse-itects who can design eggshaped bank buildings..."

British ale is truly a wonderful thing,the taste of the hops of a good Bitter,IPA or Porter/Stout makes life worth living! biggrin.png

Can you honestly say that you've tried a good one,like Old Peculier for instance?For a good Porter/Stout as everyone likes Guinness go to your local Tops market and buy a 500ml bottle of Fuller's London Porter,it's award winning beer and way better than Guinness.

Chill it in the fridge overnight then drink it and as it warms up in your hands you'll start to taste it more and more,what could possibly be better? laugh.png

what could possibly be better?

lukewarm horse piss coffee1.gif (no offence meant!)

Yes a significant drop in the GBP would be like turbocharging the UK export market,contrary to popular belief a weak currency is actually a very good thing for any country these days.

Export of what exactly, what does the UK manufacture that does not rely on source materials being imported? The countries that try to keep their currency low tend to have a lot of natural resources to work with.

And what about all the imports that people use on a daily basis, from coffee and petrol to smartphones, computers and cars?

In terms of Scotland, I was alluding to the possibility of another Scotland independence referendum that could lead to Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU independently - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-what-will-happen-if-uk-leaves-will-it-break-up-scottish-independence-a7071481.html

In terms of there being no effect on GBP/THB if the GBP moves against other currencies - of course there will! If there were no effect, one could simply change their GBP > THB, change the THB > USD, then change USD > GBP and make huge profits. If only life were that simple.

If the £ drops against the $, unless there happens to be negative news on the THB it will drop by a very similar %age against the THB.

Britain is on the brink of an extremely painful time, this vote could be something many will regret (though given the usual reaction in the UK, many will simply look for another whipping boy). Hopefully that brink is pulled back from.

Show us your fag packet.

If the £ crashes we will get less THB for a pound.

Whether it returns to current buying power, and if so, how long that would take is all guesstimates. The back of my fag packet says that if it crashes it could take 6 months - 2 years to recover in the best case scenario, and decades in the worst.

"Export of what exactly, what does the UK manufacture that does not rely on source materials being imported? The countries that try to keep their currency low tend to have a lot of natural resources to work with.

And what about all the imports that people use on a daily basis, from coffee and petrol to smartphones, computers and cars?

In terms of Scotland, I was alluding to the possibility of another Scotland independence referendum that could lead to Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU independently - http://www.independe...e-a7071481.html

In terms of there being no effect on GBP/THB if the GBP moves against other currencies - of course there will! If there were no effect, one could simply change their GBP > THB, change the THB > USD, then change USD > GBP and make huge profits. If only life were that simple.

If the £ drops against the $, unless there happens to be negative news on the THB it will drop by a very similar %age against the THB.

Britain is on the brink of an extremely painful time, this vote could be something many will regret (though given the usual reaction in the UK, many will simply look for another whipping boy). Hopefully that brink is pulled back from."

Ah the Thai Baht,the World's favourite safe haven currency!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You just couldn't make this stuff up...

Archived