10 % commission fee for police on traffic fines

If police would get a 10 % commission fee on traffic fines would that not make the roads safer ?

Police actually working and stopping violators for speeding , not wearing helmets, etc , etc.

It would also make them more motivated because their low salary would go up very quickly.

Its not very difficult also to implement because most fines are paid in cash at the police station anyway.

What do you think ?

I think each police station gets a periodic amount from the govt representing a percentage of the ticket fees issued and paid... and that money is used to supplement the BIB regular monthly salary.

A similar thing happens in a lot of U.S. small towns/counties where the local sheriff/police department get a portion of their yearly budget funded from tickets issued and paid...they don't get any more pay per month, but it's basically is a major source of their department's funding. Kinda like how in the U.S. property taxes usually funds the local school system...when school system costs go up like higher teacher salaries you can expect new and higher property tax rates/bills within a year or so even if property values stayed the same/went down.

The police have received an official commission on fines issued for years. So, your idea has been in operation for decades. The amount is capped monthly per police station so once they have issued their required amount of fines to max out the commission, they move on to bribes instead.

As with all income to the police in Thailand (and other criminal organisations), the split is pre-defined and heavily weighted to the top. e.g. Station Commander receives 70 %. Deputy Station Commander 15% ..... down to ordinary officer 0.1%.

Your point, although fine in theory, has omitted the fact that the police force in Thailand is deeply hierarchical. If your commanding officer says, "Jump," you jump. The average cop here is not paid to think, let alone use initiative. Who knows where that might lead?

Fear of their patron's wrath is the overriding motivating factor for most Thais, particularly in the public sector, where they have a position and income to lose.

Good idea but I'm afraid the incentive is on the wrong end: issuing tickets vs. actually penalizing dangerous driving on the road.

If you offer a commission on tickets, you'll end up with "ticket salesmen" who prey on the motorists who make the most common violations.

Imagine the used car salesman who won't take no for an answer except now he's a police officer giving you a ticket on which he makes 10% commission.

Perhaps police districts can be rewarded for reducing the # of accidents in their district instead.

Back to the question: No, it would not make Thailand the roads safer. Thailand has about 20% more Policemen per capita on duty than Germany. In Germany there are present almost everywhere, and here? If the Thai police would finally start to work, like everybody else, then there would be a chance, that there can write out more tickets and with the income generated buy cameras which catches red-light-violators, speeding cameras and so on. With the then extra money generated, violators can be send to psychological test and/or being educated, and so on. There is so much to do, but the Thai police is not willing to DO MORE.

If I would be a policemen and have a workmate, who is willing to work, I just would sit outside my favourite restaurant and stop traffic violators. Easily I could generate 20.000 extra Baht in a couple of hours.

Two consequences for relating crime to police commissions. 1. More focus on their jobs to catch criminals 2. If they can't find criminals, then frame more of them.

No! Thailand is trying to stop corruption! Why have to pay the cops to do their jobs?

This would be an "incentive pay" of course it would be open for fraud, unsubstantiated claims to broken laws...........but it works - even police stations in the US have a running tally sheet for he cops that catch the speeders in their precincts. but knowing Thailand, the BiB would look at 10% as a cut in pay.

I am not sure I understand. In many cases they now get 100% of the money and it does

not lower the accident rate. I cant see lowering it to 10% helping at all. blink.png

Have you ever been stopped at one of those police roadblocks where the cops collect thousands of baht in cash? Do you actually think all that cash is turned in and goes to government coffers? It is all divided up on a pro rata basis amongst the personnel of the particular station conducting the roadblock. A ten percent commission would be a huge pay cut.

In Pattaya I was told years ago that of any fines, the police officer gets 50% (which is why they used to accept that amount as a fee for not filling out the citation), the province gets 47%, and the Thai government got 3%.

I see the biggest issue is every cop would want that job. Who would wanted to be promoted and if you work traffic officer paid well. Work the desk etc. less pay... As mentioned they would probably have to share with the "Boss". So might not really see an increase...

No idea what percentage would motivate them but not a bad idea. A blanket commission would probably not accomplish much but focusing on certain violations would be great. Police officers seem to ignore automobile violations and focus on the quick dollars by fining cyclists.

Traffic is my biggest frustration and ticketing the automobiles that double park or block busy intersection would be refreshing. Maybe I would drive my car again! It's a pain in the arse and 10% is probably not enough considering the othe legal and ilegal cash opportunities.

The police have received an official commission on fines issued for years. So, your idea has been in operation for decades. The amount is capped monthly per police station so once they have issued their required amount of fines to max out the commission, they move on to bribes instead.

As with all income to the police in Thailand (and other criminal organisations), the split is pre-defined and heavily weighted to the top. e.g. Station Commander receives 70 %. Deputy Station Commander 15% ..... down to ordinary officer 0.1%.

Yes your correct Biggsy-----this was highlighted about 3 years ago in Chaing Mai........when they sent one of their trusted officers up to the bank to pick up their bonus from the government......(it was over 2 million for 3 months) he signed for the money --next stop Burma. Still seeking him.

Did you guys see the payments ledger found in that soap parlour they raided few days ago? I was astounded at the amounts 60k, 25k, 10k, 75k and that wasn't per month - that was one day! And there were multiple entries of these amounts every single day.

Yay, more police state ideas

Enforcement of laws protect the law abiding citizens from those who fail to follow the law. Laws are made to allow people to live together in harmony. What do you want anarchy?

You sound like my neighbor. Fed up with listening to his yappy dogs when they are inside he shoves them outside and closes the door so he can't hear them but everyone else can. Selfish.

Edited by Keesters