Interesting fine at gas stations

The Big Mango

In Thai , but it reads that you must switch off your engine and not use your mobile while the gas is being pumped.

Fine is 100,000.00thb and /or 1 year in jail.

Interstingly in this gas station the 7/11 is all but 10 / 15 meters away with a designated smoking area , go figure :-)

post-233254-14655399710396_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Big Mango

Not quite new except that they already have put up a sign.

They put it on the hood?

There was a news report recently about this new rule,

And almost nobody believes that it will be obeyed.

A Thai switching off his engine incl. AC in the heat whistling.gif

If only they would switch off the engine in the (underground!) parking while shopping as I experience again and again bah.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

They asked my GF to turn off her phone at the Shell gasoline station near the monument circle in Thalang. When I pointed out the their colleague who was sitting 2 meters away on a chair was playing on his phone the staff gave us a really confused look and just asked my GF again to turn off her phone. That it was the order from the boss. Of course she didn't ask her colleague to turn his phone off.

They spilled gasoline on the tank more than once and if that had reached the hot engine or exhaust, it could have easily ignited. No concern for that of course.

Some gasoline stations have actually cellphone towers in the large pillars that show the prices. And those cellphone towers emit vastly more radiation than a smartphone.

100k fine or 1 year jail of course is just hilarious.

Yeah read the news article and thought the same about enforcement and even with this i think itll be another fly by night non enforced law.

But yup was placed on the hood while they put the gas in , same as the sometimes promos for this or that , but there were quite alot of signs posted everywhere.

This was in the PTT next to boatlagoon today , anyone seen anymore at any other stations ?

I'm curious. What could be the reason to shut the engine and mobile phone off?

Fortunately, even on airplanes, it's not anymore really required to shut down the phone during the take-off and landing.

I'm curious. What could be the reason to shut the engine and mobile phone off?

Fortunately, even on airplanes, it's not anymore really required to shut down the phone during the take-off and landing.

???

Not sure what airlines your with Oil , but for dam sure all domestic flights they do not (want) alllow you to keep your phone on during take off and landing , they even have an issue with your phone in "plane" mode.

But hey what would I know , only do around trip 15 times a month.

Oh well , im gonna tell them next time...

Maybe you could try next time to simply to put your phone to your pocket, all on. Nobody knows, nobody cares. The phone doesn't have any effect to 'navigational systems', nor anything else. I'm pretty sure there are two working phones on the cockpit during the take off and landing.

There is even less effect to the gasoline station systems. I'm just curious where this nonsense of starting fires with mobile phones started. I can only assume it was one of the 'I can't understand how the phone works, therefore it must be evil' fear-ideology, which has become way too rampant.

^^ agreed , if you care to refer to my op.

15 / 20 m away is where everyone can light up and have a smoke.

My op was just a statement of facts.

But to be fair , I wonder what would happen if I switched off the phone and the ignition then sparked up and had a smoke in the car.

Edited by The Big Mango

I'm referring to the OP. As far as I know, here is no physical reason close the phone or the engine while filling the tank.

Anyway the phones keep on communicating with the basestations, regardless if someone is speaking to the phone. Previously the amount of transmits were less, when not talking, but today's phones do all kind of communications autonomously.

Traditionally police cars, ambulances etc. have had quite powerful radios for communication. Have those radios been banned while refuelling the cars?

Regarding using devices on airplanes - plenty of the more progressive airlines, BA, Cathay, Dragonair, allow you to use devices ALL the time. In airplane mode of course from engine start to shutdown. Just no laptops for take off and landing as they're bulky and would get in the way of an evacuation. But iPads and phones, fill your boots on the takeoff roll!

Then you fly with AirAsia or similar, and they're bloody nazis about it.

Even Air Asia is getting there. They are now offering in-flight Wifi. The price is from other world though. MYR 18 for 10MB of data.

This was couple of weeks ago flying from KL to Phuket.

post-58566-0-35369000-1465584427_thumb.p

5. Using your cell phone while pumping gas can trigger an explosion.

I was once scolded by an aunt who was convinced that my checking my email while she filled her gas tank would engulf us both in fire.

The Federal Communications Commission investigated "rumors" that a wireless signal can ignite fuel vapors, and concluded: "There is no documented incident where the use of a wireless phone was found to cause a fire or explosion at a gas station," and "scientific testing, however, has not established a dangerous link between wireless phones and fuel vapors."

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-car-myths-debunked-2013-9

Myth: Cell phones have touched off gas station explosions
Sample copy: "In case you do not know, there was an incident where a driver suffered burns and his car severely damaged when gasoline vapors ignited an explosion while he was talking on his mobile phone standing near the attendant who was pumping the gas. All the electronic devices in gas stations are protected with explosive containment devices, (intrinsically safe) while cell phones are not. READ YOUR HANDBOOK!"

Facts:

• The Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association has said, "There is no evidence whatsoever that a wireless phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a station anywhere in the world. Wireless phones don't cause gas stations to blow up."
  • The American Petroleum Institute notes, "We can find no evidence of someone using a cell phone causing any kind of accident, no matter how small, at a gas station anywhere in the world."
  • In fact, creating an fire from a cell has not been demonstrated experimentally that it's even possible - which a 2004 broadcast of The Discovery Channel's Mythbusters program confirmed.
  • It is unlikely that cell phone batteries could ignite gasoline fumes, given that they are the same voltage as automobile batteries (12V D.C.) but deliver far less current. Likewise, cellular phone "ringers" do not produce electricity -- they produce audio tones that simulate the sound of a ringing telephone.

http://www.nacsonline.com/Research/FactSheets/Motor%20Fuels/Pages/GasolineMythsFacts.aspx

5. Using your cell phone while pumping gas can trigger an explosion.

I was once scolded by an aunt who was convinced that my checking my email while she filled her gas tank would engulf us both in fire.

The Federal Communications Commission investigated "rumors" that a wireless signal can ignite fuel vapors, and concluded: "There is no documented incident where the use of a wireless phone was found to cause a fire or explosion at a gas station," and "scientific testing, however, has not established a dangerous link between wireless phones and fuel vapors."

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-car-myths-debunked-2013-9

Myth: Cell phones have touched off gas station explosions

Sample copy: "In case you do not know, there was an incident where a driver suffered burns and his car severely damaged when gasoline vapors ignited an explosion while he was talking on his mobile phone standing near the attendant who was pumping the gas. All the electronic devices in gas stations are protected with explosive containment devices, (intrinsically safe) while cell phones are not. READ YOUR HANDBOOK!"

Facts:

• The Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association has said, "There is no evidence whatsoever that a wireless phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a station anywhere in the world. Wireless phones don't cause gas stations to blow up."
  • The American Petroleum Institute notes, "We can find no evidence of someone using a cell phone causing any kind of accident, no matter how small, at a gas station anywhere in the world."
  • In fact, creating an fire from a cell has not been demonstrated experimentally that it's even possible - which a 2004 broadcast of The Discovery Channel's Mythbusters program confirmed.
  • It is unlikely that cell phone batteries could ignite gasoline fumes, given that they are the same voltage as automobile batteries (12V D.C.) but deliver far less current. Likewise, cellular phone "ringers" do not produce electricity -- they produce audio tones that simulate the sound of a ringing telephone.
http://www.nacsonline.com/Research/FactSheets/Motor%20Fuels/Pages/GasolineMythsFacts.aspx
Yes, and a few months ago there was an accident with I think a motorbike fire while filling. That was blamed on the phone, IMO out of pure ignorance.

Right up until some poor sclock gets arrested and has to post 100,000 baht in bail to make an example.

Which is hilarious for feeding fish, too. But nothing surprises me any more.

In all my years I have never seen a fire caused by the engine being left on while filling up. As for Mobile phones, Its got to be near impossible to cause a fire.

Yet they do insist in most parts of the world you switch both off when filling up.

When I pointed out the their colleague who was sitting 2 meters away on a chair was playing on his phone the staff gave us a really confused look and just asked my GF again to turn off her phone.

This is the kind of bullsh*t reaction here that really gets on my nerves. Bloody idiots.

They spilled gasoline on the tank more than once and if that had reached the hot engine or exhaust, it could have easily ignited. No concern for that of course.

That's why the exhaust pipe is on the opposite side of the vehicle from the fuel intake.

They asked my GF to turn off her phone at the Shell gasoline station near the monument circle in Thalang. When I pointed out the their colleague who was sitting 2 meters away on a chair was playing on his phone the staff gave us a really confused look and just asked my GF again to turn off her phone. That it was the order from the boss. Of course she didn't ask her colleague to turn his phone off.

Some gasoline stations have actually cellphone towers in the large pillars that show the prices. And those cellphone towers emit vastly more radiation than a smartphone.

Nothing to do with radiation. It's all about a spark that might be caused by static electricity. It's based on an urban myth that was proven wrong many times, but still... government regulation and they probably insist on the gas stations' enforcement of the rule.

As a rule of thumb - when a Thai employee (at any type of a business) is conveying to you rules or company policy - it is because the employee is instructed by the boss, and trying to argue the logic or lack of it is not going to help you or anyone involved. In the case of the phone at gas stations - simply put the phone down when the employee approach your car and pick it up again when he/she is not watching. They are just doing their job.

Whatever the wireless part of the phone can or cannot cause, anything with a battery in it has the potential to throw a spark. When filling up, that could be A Bad Thing.

There are risks, which should be taken seriously and there are risks which should not be taken too seriously.

The phone will have charged batter, wether it's in use or not. Dropping a phone to the gasoline fumes in such way that most likely the metallic cover on metal surface would make a spark, would naturally be a bad thing. The probability of this risk to other motor vehicle accident risks is so minuscule that it can be ignored.

As I recall, the origin of these rumours started when certain analogue mobile phones would confuse the monitoring system in a petrol pump and it would deliver more fuel than it had registered. The scare story was used to help deter people from trying it. I never saw this happen, although my NEC p3 would give me free credits on a jukebox, just by holding my phone at the side of it and pressing Send/ End repeatedly

It seems many cannot simply obey posted rules, but have to make an argument about them presumably because they think they know better.

Has there not been posted reports of fires caused in gas stations and it being attributed to a phone?