How come you never hear about consumer product recalls in Thailand?

Gecko123

You hear about product recalls all the time in the West, but I can't recall ever hearing about one over here.

Does anybody know why?

Are consumers ever warned if a pickup truck has a faulty airbag, or a TV has faulty wiring, or a toy is likely going to take a kid's eye out?

Should I be worried, or is the answer that I needn't worry because stuff here is just better made? smile.png

Years ago I read an article about a faulty motherboard being recalled. I went back to the shop where I bought mine, and they have replaced it (had to pay the difference for a newer model as they didn't have the same one...)

about 4 years ago I had a problem with my motorcycle. Called the dealer and described the problem. Within an hour 2 mechanics were at my place (couldn't start the bike) and replaced the fuel pump free of charge explaining that there is a factory recall....

Recalls work here just as anywhere else -- some are done voluntarily by the manufacturer, some at the demand of authorities like the Health Ministry. In fact the Thai FDA in particular issues them all the time.

As to why you don't hear about them, probably because relatively few of them are covered in the English-language press. Check Matichon, Manager etc.

Good question, I was wondering about this. I have a Nissan March and have seen that Nissan models are being recalled elsewhere regarding airbag problems. Suppose I will have to wait as trying to get my wife to ask about this at Nissan would be too much for her to handle.

Does Japan even have auto recalls? We hear about Toyotas being recalled in the US for various problems, but I don't remember hearing that they were ever recalled in Japan.

Asian consumers have few protections in general.

Yes, every year. So does in Thailand. Are you really keeping up with current events?

Edited by sitti

I guess Gecko123 nevers hears about product recalls in Thailand because he doesn't consult & understand Thai news.

It is funny the comments you read about on thaivisa from posters who don't have a clue of what is actually happening and assume they know everything.

A poster on the 11 killed on the motorway thread just claimed " that the Thais don't have any education" referring to road safety ads. I posted 3 for him to watch. I see them all the time.

It also astounds me many of the questions people ask other farangs on thaivisa when it would just be easier to ask a Thai and receive a much more accurate answer than some of the imagined myths that are posted here daily. TIT

I guess Gecko123 nevers hears about product recalls in Thailand because he doesn't consult & understand Thai news.

It is funny the comments you read about on thaivisa from posters who don't have a clue of what is actually happening and assume they know everything.

A poster on the 11 killed on the motorway thread just claimed " that the Thais don't have any education" referring to road safety ads. I posted 3 for him to watch. I see them all the time.

It also astounds me many of the questions people ask other farangs on thaivisa when it would just be easier to ask a Thai and receive a much more accurate answer than some of the imagined myths that are posted here daily. TIT

If you're as fluent as you suggest you are, and find you can easily obtain accurate answers from Thais to almost all of your questions, it does beg the question: why are you on here all the time? whistling.gif BTW, you sound like a pretty big know-it-all yourself, if it's OK with you to say so.

P.S. You probably already know this, but perhaps you would benefit from being reminded that there is a social component to these forums which goes beyond just getting answers to questions. Is it OK with you for me to think this way?

P.P.S. Just for the record, I've been spot reading Thai newspapers and watching Thai language news for years and I can't recall ever seeing a product recall being reported. I live in a small village and talk to my neighbors regularly. Product safety recalls isn't something I thought my neighbors would have much useful info on. Maybe I'll go talk to my neighbors after getting input from TVF. I hope that's OK with you.

Edited by Gecko123

I used to own a Chevrolet car and about six months after buying it in 2010, I received a letter saying I had to return it to the service center for a check. They made an adjustment to the child lock on the rear doors. It took about 10 minutes to complete. I'm not sure if that would count as a 'product recall' - it's certainly not as serious as an airbag failure or brake issues. It didn't come up in the press, it wasn't serious but I think it was a form of recall.

Vehicle recalls are probably not representative as Western countries have developed procedures for those. I'm not sure about used vehicle sales and if new owners are recorded anyplace, other than the govt office for vehicle registration.

But another part of the OP question deals with children toys, either breaking for a choking or eye puncture problems, or lead based paint. Since short cuts are commonplace in most of Thai society, and I've been told that most products come from China, and counterfeit products are very common. If you buy a toy from a street vender, who knows where he got it from, and if he moves locations, how is anyone 6 months later going to find him to refund that?

When a large western retailer refuses a toy shipment, do you really think the Chinese company is going to take a total lost on unshipped products, or will they just send it to countries that don't care about product safety, like Thailand and perhaps most Asian countries.

If you're as fluent as you imply you are and find Thais can easily give you accurate information to most all of your questions, it does beg the question: why are you on here all the time? whistling.gif BTW, you sound like a pretty big know-it-all yourself, if it's OK with you to say so.

P.S. You probably already know this, but perhaps you would benefit from being reminded that there is a social component to these forums which goes beyond just getting answers to questions. Is it OK with you to think this way?

P.P.S. Just for the record, I've been spot reading Thai newspapers and watching Thai language news for years and I can't recall ever seeing a product recall being reported. I live in a small village and talk to my neighbors regularly. Product safety recalls isn't something I thought my neighbors would have much useful info on. Maybe I'll go talk to my neighbors after getting input from TVF. I hope that's OK with you.

I am on here a lot because I like to bash the thaibashers. I ignored it for 6 years, but just couldn't stand listening to racists any longer without responding.

I won't be posting for much longer because I realize it is a waste of my time.

I totally agree with you regards me being a big know it all. That's why the Thais call me Roo muck.

Good that you can read Thai, but I think most of the posts here are saying that recalls are common, you stated the opposite. It was wrong. Another thaivisa myth.

Your neighbors know a hundred times more about Thailand than thaivisa posters.

But, you are probably a good bloke anyway, so sorry for upsetting you. Jing Jing.

I am on here a lot because I like to bash the thaibashers. I ignored it for 6 years, but just couldn't stand listening to racists any longer without responding.

I totally agree with you regards me being a big know it all. That's why the Thais call me Roo muck.

Good that you can read Thai, but I think most of the posts here are saying that recalls are common, you stated the opposite. It was wrong. Another thaivisa myth.

But, you are probably a good bloke anyway, so sorry for upsetting you. Jing Jing.

Hey! We're kindred spirits! I like to bash the Thai bashers too!

Please double check my OP. I wasn't pushing an agenda, just asking an honest question about why it seemed like I never hear about product recalls. It was very comforting to hear from so many people that there are product recalls, especially automotive ones which was a growing concern of mine.

Thanks for not turning our minor spat into WWIII.

Hey! We're kindred spirits! I like to bash the Thai bashers too!

Please double check my OP. I wasn't pushing an agenda, just asking an honest question about why it seemed like I never hear about product recalls. It was very comforting to hear from so many people that there are product recalls, especially automotive ones which was a growing concern of mine.

Thanks for not turning our minor spat into WWIII.

Keep bashing mate. I am retiring soon.

I have been posting heaps the last three days as I have had a serious case of diareah. It has probably affected my mood.

And I would think that some members would think that what comes out of my mouth is very similar to my current condition.

I also have to concede I was wrong as asking here you did get good answers.

I ate at a farang's restaurant the other day, I suspect the b...stard didn't wash his hands before touching my food, you know what they are like.

Cheers

Does Japan even have auto recalls? We hear about Toyotas being recalled in the US for various problems, but I don't remember hearing that they were ever recalled in Japan.

Asian consumers have few protections in general.

Yes they do! Recently got a certified mail noticed from my Toyota dealer in Thai of course and it was to recall my AirBag for my Yaris.

Just dont buy anything at all that will kill you when you switch it on....or anything that you remotley think has a chance of killing you......now or a week, month or year from now.

When it comes to consumer protection there is a actually agency. But like Traffic enforcement etc.. it basically falls under this phrase " The light is on but no one is home ".

What I have found when it comes to products here in Thailand for example. You can go into a store like HomePro, pay the extra money for a imported product with a popular name brand from the U.S. that is made in China. When the product is shipped from China to the U.S. that particular shipment has been tested over and over again just in case it does get tested. Then you have the rest of the shipment sent to Thailand or other SEA countries that has not been tested but sells for the same price in the States.

• 3 weeks later...

Vehicle recalls are probably not representative as Western countries have developed procedures for those. I'm not sure about used vehicle sales and if new owners are recorded anyplace, other than the govt office for vehicle registration.

But another part of the OP question deals with children toys, either breaking for a choking or eye puncture problems, or lead based paint. Since short cuts are commonplace in most of Thai society, and I've been told that most products come from China, and counterfeit products are very common. If you buy a toy from a street vender, who knows where he got it from, and if he moves locations, how is anyone 6 months later going to find him to refund that?

When a large western retailer refuses a toy shipment, do you really think the Chinese company is going to take a total lost on unshipped products, or will they just send it to countries that don't care about product safety, like Thailand and perhaps most Asian countries.

it's not the country that doesn't care about product safety, it's the parents that buy children's toys from street vendors. Are you suggesting that faulty products never get sold on the streets of London or New York?

Edited by Mark123456