Sam Kong Underpass to open both ways as ground lanes closed for resurfacing

rooster59

Sam Kong Underpass to open both ways as ground lanes closed for resurfacing

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1465614619_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: The ground-level lanes of the bypass road from Tesco Lotus to the Darasamut Intersection at Central Festival Phuket will be closed for 20 days from June 19 as road resurfacing works are carried out.

During this period, both the northbound and southbound lanes of the Sam Kong Underpass will be open to all traffic, meaning uninterrupted traffic in both directions through both the Sam Kong Underpass and the Darasamut Underpass at Central Festival Phuket.
Chalermpon Wongkietkun Project Engineer from the Highways Department told The Phuket News, “Motorists coming from Samkong wanting to turn north onto the bypass road will have to cross the Sam Kong Intersection and continue on Phra Phuket Kaew Rd, then make a U-turn and rejoin the bypass road.
“People coming from Samkong wanting to head south will have to do the same as above, but will have to make a second U-turn in front of Keehin on the bypass road and then come back and go through the Sam Kong Underpass.
tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-12

This could be ugly for the businesses on the southbound side of the bypass road between Samkong and Central. While most establishments on the northbound side have alternative access (Bangyai Rd), those on the southbound side seem to be landlocked. Businesses including SB Furniture, 8080 Cafe, Hafele, Homeworks and that condo building opposite the hospital don't appear to have any access other than the bypass road. I would think that some sort of limited access to the surface street will have to be provided in order to accommodate these businesses.

Same for the Bukis construction site on the northbound side, which has no alternate access. I doubt they'd be willing to suspend construction for 20 days.

Samkong traffic to be redirected for underpass work
Phuket Gazette

lo.jpeg
Traffic is to be redirected at the Samkong Underpass June 19 - July 15. Photo: Phuket City Police

PHUKET: -- PHUKET: Both northbound and southbound lanes of the new Samkong Underpass are to be opened to traffic this Sunday, Phuket City Traffic Police has confirmed.

"Motorists heading south for Central Festival should turn right at the Samkong Intersection, crossing over the underpass there, as they will not be able to turn right at the Darasamuth Intersection after entering the underpass,” Lt Col Teerawat Liamsuwan told the Phuket Gazette.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Samkong-traffic-be-redirected-underpass-work/64058?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-13

Phuket Gazette

lo.jpeg

Traffic is to be redirected at the Samkong Underpass June 19 - July 15. Photo: Phuket City Police

PHUKET: -- PHUKET: Both northbound and southbound lanes of the new Samkong Underpass are to be opened to traffic this Sunday, Phuket City Traffic Police has confirmed.

"Motorists heading south for Central Festival should turn right at the Samkong Intersection, crossing over the underpass there, as they will not be able to turn right at the Darasamuth Intersection after entering the underpass,” Lt Col Teerawat Liamsuwan told the Phuket Gazette.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Samkong-traffic-be-redirected-underpass-work/64058?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg

Why is south to the north on that map? Really confusing.

Phuket Gazette

lo.jpeg

pglogo.jpg

Why is south to the north on that map? Really confusing.

Who decided north has to always be on top?

post-18822-0-69008900-1465881050_thumb.j

The 4 main points of the compass are not something that Thai people seem to be good at figuring out.
So, a map with S @ the top is just as confusing to them as N on top I imagine.
I've been trying to teach my (Thai) wife to figure out which direction Bangkok, Laem Prom Thep, Phi Phi, and India are from different places on the island.
I swear she gets it wrong about 90% of the time!

The 4 main points of the compass are not something that Thai people seem to be good at figuring out.

I've been trying to teach my (Thai) wife to figure out which direction Bangkok, Laem Prom Thep, Phi Phi, and India are from different places on the island.

Same with mywife - zero sense of direction. If she thinks I should turn right, I just turn left - usually is the correct direction. Thai's just have no idea of nort, south, east,or west.

• 4 weeks later...

Same with mywife - zero sense of direction. If she thinks I should turn right, I just turn left - usually is the correct direction. Thai's just have no idea of nort, south, east,or west.

Must be a Thai thing.

My wife is already getting lost in our back garden. smile.png

Surprise, Surprise (insert Shot's avatar here) - its been 20 days, and the indicated work is nowhere near being complete.

The section of the Bypass road in front of Tesco Lotus is nothing but a deeply dug ditch awaiting construction of a sewer. I'd be surprised if they could finish that stretch in another month's time.

It seems that the majority of work in the past couple of weeks has been focused on laying pavers on the median areas, and not actual road construction. I do, however, occasionally see a handful of laborers fiddling around with stone-age tools in an attempt to do something constructive near the roadbeds north of Tesco.

My guess is that the work indicated in the OP (Bypass road from Tesco to Darasamuth) won't be finished until September at the earliest, which would be about triple the amount of time originally projected.

Surprise, Surprise (insert Shot's avatar here) - its been 20 days, and the indicated work is nowhere near being complete.

The section of the Bypass road in front of Tesco Lotus is nothing but a deeply dug ditch awaiting construction of a sewer. I'd be surprised if they could finish that stretch in another month's time.

It seems that the majority of work in the past couple of weeks has been focused on laying pavers on the median areas, and not actual road construction. I do, however, occasionally see a handful of laborers fiddling around with stone-age tools in an attempt to do something constructive near the roadbeds north of Tesco.

My guess is that the work indicated in the OP (Bypass road from Tesco to Darasamuth) won't be finished until September at the earliest, which would be about triple the amount of time originally projected.

earliest is feb next year, there is no way a bunch of 40kg unqualified guys used for tiling and a few women in large hats with broomstick can finish all the work that has to be done in less than 7months

All the company's tools and men were moved to chalong already

Edited by bearpolar