Coffee

nwsbkk

You all need to get out & about more

Thailand has become very coffee sophisticated

You can get everything here AA Kenyan, Colombian, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Guatemalan

you name it its here fresh roasted here & often light roasted to boot thumbsup.gif

Then the Thai beans themselves have come so far so fast

The farmers are learning & applying things like how they process which now included honey process,natural,dry & washed

I predict it will not be but a few years until we see Thai coffee being exported world wide

It is in fact starting already with many US & Euro roasters buying micro lots

Details would be much appreciated. Exactly where, what, how much, etc.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Details would be much appreciated. Exactly where, what, how much, etc.

It depends on where your at as far as walk ins

Here in Chiangmai we have many like, Asama, Cottontree, Ponganes, Fieow , Aka Ahma etc

Where in Thailand are you?

Bangkok has many too although I have not been I have seen their links on FB

This list of 10 also just came out

Places like Kaizen look great

Pacamara sells many beans their site shows blends but in store has single country beans too

As does Bluekoff

Espressoman has Thai

and Imported

But really so many more too....

Above is just a sample

Some smaller guys are great roasters & all of these coffee's of course you can get a day after roasting

so need to let them "rest" 3-5 days to out gas before use as they are that fresh

If you find good coffee in a shop be sure to check as some shops do keep it till sold

No need to buy coffee older than a couple weeks here as so many fresh roast

But really best bet is for you to search specialty coffee Thailand for instance on

google then find them on Face Book as they all have pages & like each other so mention link etc.

Price wise very good Thai beans from ChiangMai, ChiangRai, Nan etc goes for about 200 baht for 250 grams

Imports are of course more due to the tax so expect to pay various prices from 200 for 100gr

or 350-400 baht for 250 gr etc

But even that is quite reasonable & about the same prices as big roasters in the USA

Now Thailand has many good roasters..just try some & see.

For most days a good Thai bean is great..But of course nice to have a nice cup of Ethiopian, Kenyan etc

too wink.png

Good Luck

Edited by mania

Thanks Mania for the info, this is very helpful. I'm based in Bangkok.

That article is a good one but it looks like it is a few years old as a few of the cafes have closed. I've been meaning to check out Ceresia and Gallery Drip Coffee.

All I have to do now is find a good grinder. May end up importing one from Europe as the selection in-country is not too good.

That article is a good one but it looks like it is a few years old as a few of the cafes have closed. I've been meaning to check out Ceresia and Gallery Drip Coffee.

All I have to do now is find a good grinder. May end up importing one from Europe as the selection in-country is not too good.

Sorry I just saw that article & was not aware of the age.

I only know having watched Kaizen on FB their drinks always looked good wink.png I would like to try them someday

You know on grinders ....

Many here to choose from all the main brands & top of line too

Places like Bluekoff

I actually bought a very nice Lido 3 from them too Great hand grinder 48mm Swiss burrs& better than many electric ones ...I linked a US video in name there

But yes in Bangkok they have some very big espresso/coffee equipment dealers

Check for dealers in your area another big Dealer in Bangkok is K2

Good Luck

Edited by mania

Sorry I just saw that article & was not aware of the age.

I only know having watched Kaizen on FB their drinks always looked good wink.png I would like to try them someday

You know on grinders ....

Many here to choose from all the main brands & top of line too

Places like Bluekoff

I actually bought a very nice Lido 3 from them too Great hand grinder 48mm Swiss burrs& better than many electric ones ...I linked a US video in name there

But yes in Bangkok they have some very big espresso/coffee equipment dealers

Check for dealers in your area another big Dealer in Bangkok is K2

Good Luck

The grind is super important, at least in my french press. It will jam up on finely ground coffee or the coffee will be muddy.

Those electric choppers don't do a good job.

Lucky for me, we have Benjamit roaster nearby. They roast often and have a nice professional, precision grinder that will make it just right for your coffee machine.

I buy Sole Cafe at Makro that costs 160 baht for a 500 gram bag of ground coffee. They also have beans.

What Joe said. Forget Tesco. All they have is instant. Villa Market...to expensive.

Go to Makro. The one where I shop has a 2 pack of the Sole Arabica for 300 Bt. ground. They have the beans as well.

When I first came here finding a drip coffee maker was almost impossible, here in Issan. Now a days they are easy to find. ElectroLux has a nice one and it has a two year warranty. Save the manual and the receipt. If you live in deepest darkest Issan, you may have to send it to their office in Bangkok for service. I know from experience they will handle a warranty matter if it comes up.

Good to know.

The grind is super important, at least in my french press. It will jam up on finely ground coffee or the coffee will be muddy.

Those electric choppers don't do a good job.

Lucky for me, we have Benjamit roaster nearby. They roast often and have a nice professional, precision grinder that will make it just right for your coffee machine.

You are correct Buzzz

A good grinder is actually more important than the machine or brew apparatus

Also yes on French Press you need a coarse grind or coarser than say drip/pour over & much coarser than espresso

Yes blade or as you said chopper type grinders are useless...what you need is a burr grinder

The main thing with grinding is you want uniformity of what ever grind particle size you need

With poor grinders/blade grinders etc you get too many unwanted fines mixed in

It is nice you have someone to grind but if you get a decent little burr grinder it will be even better

As nothing beats grinding right before usage

BTW: Also a good hand grinder takes only 15-20 seconds to grind 15grams or so of coffee wink.png

Pretty sure i've seen Gaggia MDF grinder at Emporium, maybe the Rancilio also...

but you can get a very good Baratza Vario (Malkhonig) here:-

http://www.espressofriend.com/เครื่องบดกาแฟ?product_id=80

google baratza vario for reviews - note the new model now comes with a solid steel backplate/portafilter holder ( older models like mine is could be upgraded easily by buying the kit)

I'll repeat about Bluekoff beng a really good 'base' standard thai coffee to compare any other - just be sure to get the A5 roast rather than the lighter and worse roast which currently fashionable.

Thanks guys for the good info. Plenty of stores/coffee/equipment to check out.

Looks like there are some good equipment dealers in Bangkok though I'm a bit shocked at the markup...I should be used to it by now. I realize a good grinder is important but I'm probably not going to spend an iPhone's worth of money on a grinder. Wish I could get a lower end Baratza like a Baratza Preciso for a reasonable price here.

The hand grinder might be a good option if it can grind out a double-shot worth in 15-20 seconds - the Lido 3 looks nice. I know some people have also hacked their hand grinders so they can be driven by a power drill:

"Abstract 13" (https://www.abstract13.co.th/) is a high end coffee making products store, selling to the cafe and hotel trade located on Sukhumvit 71 in Phra Khanong, just past the corner of Soi (Pridi) 16.

They have on display a number of exclusive European brands of equipment and also sell their own house brand coffee blends which are excellent.

Nice store, nice people and beautiful stuff.

interestng dddave - may pop in for a looksee...

our Gaggia Baby twin ( not recommmended) is looking like it's on its way out...

the Profitec 700 gets extremely good reviews and is at espressofriend in bangkok.... oh, the price ;-). mind you, a quick google shows it costng the same in the US from whollattelove.com... so maybe i need to persuade/kid myself it's good value for thai prices... and check out the slayer and la marzoco's at espressofriend to make the profitec look cheap... mercy.

Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee (I prefer the brown box roast, not the orange-ish box variety). Available at TOPS in Chiang Mai so I presume elsewhere too. 109 THB for 250 grams.

Package looks like this:

attachicon.gifbravo_koo-img582x600-14413055285bsuk013440.jpg

+ 1

been my favourite for years . A lot of friends take some back home with them.

105 baht in Foodland Bangkok

interestng dddave - may pop in for a looksee...

our Gaggia Baby twin ( not recommmended) is looking like it's on its way out...

the Profitec 700 gets extremely good reviews and is at espressofriend in bangkok.... oh, the price ;-). mind you, a quick google shows it costng the same in the US from whollattelove.com... so maybe i need to persuade/kid myself it's good value for thai prices... and check out the slayer and la marzoco's at espressofriend to make the profitec look cheap... mercy.

How long have you had your Baby Twin? I've heard good things about Gaggias in general.

Another hand grinder option is a Porlex - japanese made, stainless steel body with ceramic burrs, extremely portable ( body fits in the Aeropress, which is my at work offshore coffee setup.. with the bluekoff a5 beans)

about 50 dollars and delivers to bangkok

https://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2

The price is certainly right on this one. Have you used it personally? Can it grind fine enough for an espresso machine?

EDIT: Bad reading comprehension on my part - looks like you have used it personally. And the Amazon reviews seem to indicate that it works fine for espresso.

Edited by fishbrando

I am not supporting or condoning Starbucks Coffee but I have noticed SBUX-Thailand has a very different espresso wuality than its US counterpart.

Its not as heavily roasted in Thailand and could actually be a different variety of beans (but I have no evidence of a different bean).

Stateside, I use a Nespresso machine and I am quite happy with the quality.

Ofcourse, SBUX is quite cost-prohibitive everywhere and I don't know the availability of Nespresso canisters here in Thailand.

Cheers

Coffee beans from Chiang Rai is the best quality you will find in this country . Mostly Arabica beans are grown up there. I pay 120 baht for 250 gram.

I am not supporting or condoning Starbucks Coffee but I have noticed SBUX-Thailand has a very different espresso wuality than its US counterpart.

Its not as heavily roasted in Thailand and could actually be a different variety of beans (but I have no evidence of a different bean).

Ofcourse, SBUX is quite cost-prohibitive everywhere and I don't know the availability of Nespresso canisters here in Thailand.

Cheers

The coffee in those convenient pods is over $50 a pound!

The capsule coffee machines took a clue from the color printer industry.

Sell the machines cheap but gouge on the supplies. Color ink in those cartridges sell for $800 a gallon.

Another hand grinder option is a Porlex - japanese made, stainless steel body with ceramic burrs, extremely portable ( body fits in the Aeropress, which is my at work offshore coffee setup.. with the bluekoff a5 beans)

about 50 dollars and delivers to bangkok

https://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2

The price is certainly right on this one. Have you used it personally? Can it grind fine enough for an espresso machine?

EDIT: Bad reading comprehension on my part - looks like you have used it personally. And the Amazon reviews seem to indicate that it works fine for espresso.

The Porlx grinds as fine as you want it - and the ceramic burrs will last more or less forever... you will have to stop every so often while grindng to reposition the handle, but it really is a great little thing.

The Gaggia needed repairs under warranty, so lives down to the worst of Italian build reputations - but the worse aspect is because its portafilter has a prssure insert and it is designed to take those pods. capsules, the pressure is set much. hgher than it 'should be' ie if you upgrade to a better portafilter and vst basket then the excessive pressure screws things up... there's been some hacks/mods to try to change the pressue setting...but it's all in order to fix a problem which has been built in to the machine.

Cheers

I agree - and thnk it's reasonable to assume it's due to saving money by using thai beans which are actually much better due to freshness for instance than the usual second rate stuff starbucks would use...

if you really want to experience the worst Starbucks, go to the UK. Abysmal.

Edited by coops

Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee (I prefer the brown box roast, not the orange-ish box variety). Available at TOPS in Chiang Mai so I presume elsewhere too. 109 THB for 250 grams.

Package looks like this:

attachicon.gifbravo_koo-img582x600-14413055285bsuk013440.jpg

Personal taste - my family like this brand but we prefer the orange box which has a small sticker 'Classic Blend'.

We use it in our small steam press MiniMex Picilo machine - great cup of coffee.

Edited by scorecard

Cheers

Sell the machines cheap but gouge on the supplies. Color ink in those cartridges sell for $800 a gallon.

The capsule alternative is a way to have a fresh espresso in the morning at a fraction of going to a shop. The cost is perhaps 1/5th the cost of a cafe.

There is also a wide variety of coffee types and blends available--several are superior in flavor to some cafe blends and a capsule allows for a unique blend with each new shot pulled compared to bulk buying and grinding. For instance, I like my first morning coffee to be bold and my later cups less so.

I also find the capsule quick & convenient & minimal clean-up compared to grinding my own.

I posted my own experience with this Nespresso brand in case anyone was considering the purchase of a canister type coffee machine. My experience has been positive.

Edited by ClutchClark

Cheers

The capsule alternative is a way to have a fresh espresso in the morning at a fraction of going to a shop. The cost is perhaps 1/5th the cost of a cafe.

There is also a wide variety of coffee types and blends available--several are superior in flavor to some cafe blends and a capsule allows for a unique blend with each new shot pulled compared to bulk buying and grinding. For instance, I like my first morning coffee to be bold and my later cups less so.

I also find the capsule quick & convenient & minimal clean-up compared to grinding my own.

I posted my own experience with this Nespresso brand in case anyone was considering the purchase of a canister type coffee machine. My experience has been positive.

Iv'e tried the convenient capsule coffee and it's OK.

I was just pointing out the coffee costs around $50 a pound when packaged like that.

If it's within the budget and you like it, no problem.

I kinda enjoy making it in a french press and tweaking it.

The freshness of the roasted beans, grind quality, amount, water temp, steeping time etc. will change the brew.

Not easy to get the same taste unless you are very consistent with your process.

It's a bit more work than capsules but I don't have allot on my daily to-do list except getting jacked up on coffee and winding up posters on TV.cheesy.gif

Edited by Buzzz

You all need to get out & about more

Thailand has become very coffee sophisticated

You can get everything here AA Kenyan, Colombian, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Guatemalan

you name it its here fresh roasted here & often light roasted to boot thumbsup.gif

Then the Thai beans themselves have come so far so fast

The farmers are learning & applying things like how they process which now included honey process,natural,dry & washed

I predict it will not be but a few years until we see Thai coffee being exported world wide

It is in fact starting already with many US & Euro roasters buying micro lots

While recently in Bangkok I saw a packaged northern Thai blend at Starbucks. My favorite coffee purveyor and roaster in the US tells me Thai beans are just now reaching a point of sufficient quality, quantity and consistency to catch the attention of buyers.