Dutch MP’s Campaign to Free Dutchman Jailed for 103 Years in Thailand

webfact

So have I. I'm convinced he has been laundering money. 103 Years is really OTP in my opinion, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back in the Netherlands quite soon.

You may be convinced he has but a court of law decides that.

The conviction in Thailand was for spending money earned from the legal sale of drugs in the Netherlands.

Since you like to point to the OP: "He was jailed for laundering money made from the coffee shops which were licenced in the Netherlands." Pretending he is an innocent victim is in my opinion total BS.

And that is my last word on this. We'll have to see how it develops.

From the OP

Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch “gedoogbeleid” policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.

The Thai court’s verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you see that the articles I linked to are about developments in the case AFTER that agreement was made, or is it just that you just parrot yourself, because you can't rebut my comments.

According to the Telegraaf, the police also raided the building of The Grass Company itself, which is situated on Spoorlaan.

These actions happened at the same time that the court in The Hague was handling a lawsuit against the companys founder Johan van Laarhoven. He has been in custody in Thailand, where he is suspected of money laundering, since last summer.

I guess he didn't report within 5 days then

And don't you see that at the time of his trial he had an agreement to return to face charges.

Instead of being given this opportunity he was arrested and tried and convicted for spending money that at the time was, from a legal standpoint, legitimately earned.

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands.''

He has committed no crime here and should not be in gaol.

This is my last reply to you, because you prefer to close your eyes to facts, rather than admit you're sprouting nothing but drivel.

The founder of this chain, Johan van Laarhoven, is currently imprisoned in Thailand, where he was recently sentenced to 103 years in prison for money laundering and earning money from selling soft drugs in the Netherlands.

Let the other posters know which part of the conviction you don't understand, and why there can be a conviction if it isn't illegal.

Bye bye

Read the link to the OP. That tells you exactly why he was gaoled.

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch gedoogbeleid policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.

The Thai courts verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

Quite. You seem to be confusing a policy with a law. Authorities may turn a blind eye to an illegal activity but that does not make it legal.

You also seem to be unable or unwilling to acknowledge that earnings may be illegal.

He is in jail for laundering his illegal earnings in Thailand, simple.

Bad news for USA citizens from Colorado, Washington, and Oregon. Probably many others that sell medical marijuwana in lots of other states. Heck, I'd think any government employee issuing license to sell marijuwana is liable to be jailed if they tour Thailand. I'd guess Ecuador may be in trouble too.

Bad news for USA citizens from Colorado, Washington, and Oregon. Probably many others that sell medical marijuwana in lots of other states. Heck, I'd think any government employee issuing license to sell marijuwana is liable to be jailed if they tour Thailand. I'd guess Ecuador may be in trouble too.

If it is legal in those states then it's a different situation. The article linked to the op makes it clear that the Dutch guy was acting illegally (despite the assertion that the Dutch authorities were turning a blind eye).

If it is legal in those states then it's a different situation. The article linked to the op makes it clear that the Dutch guy was acting illegally (despite the assertion that the Dutch authorities were turning a blind eye).

The article may hint at something illegal happened in the Netherlands, but since the Dutch legal system could not pun anything on him, we need to assume his innocence. A lawyer working for the public prosecutor didn't not like this and then decided to send a letter to Thailand asking them to investigate Van Laarhoven. This lawyer has since been fired form his job and a criminal investigation launched against this lawyer/prosecutor!

Imagine the scenario where the owner of a successful nightclub/bar in a western country is sentenced to 100+ years in a Muslim country where he invested some of his earnings after his retirement from selling alcohol.

The article may hint at something illegal happened in the Netherlands, but since the Dutch legal system could not pun anything on him, we need to assume his innocence. A lawyer working for the public prosecutor didn't not like this and then decided to send a letter to Thailand asking them to investigate Van Laarhoven. This lawyer has since been fired form his job and a criminal investigation launched against this lawyer/prosecutor!

Imagine the scenario where the owner of a successful nightclub/bar in a western country is sentenced to 100+ years in a Muslim country where he invested some of his earnings after his retirement from selling alcohol.

"Could not pin anything on him" and "turn a blind eye" are quite different.

Don't forget we've already had Brits prosecuted in London for calling somebody names in France, so anything's possible!

''During years of investigation, no evidence was found that could convict Van Laarhoven or his business partners in the Netherlands.

Van Laarhoven and the Openbaar Ministerie agreed that if they ever again wanted to interrogate him about the case, he would report to the Netherlands within five days of their request.

After a request from a Dutch lawyer working for Openbaar Ministerie, the Thai authorities launched their own investigation into Van Laarhoven. Several days later he and his wife were arrested at their Pattaya home.

Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch “gedoogbeleid” policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.'

The Thai court’s verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

This man should not be in gaol.

If everything was so legal in The Netherlands, then why was the Dutch government interrogating him so often, and was there even a need to make the five day to report agreement.

Maybe you should read up a bit more on the background of Mr Van Laarhoven.

Maybe you should read the first line of the news article I quoted. In fact why not read it all.

He broke no laws in Thailand.

I think there is a law in Thailand, in fact that law may exist in most countries in the world, against money laundering.

mon·ey laun·der·ing
noun
noun: money laundering; noun: moneylaundering
  1. the concealment of the origins of illegally obtained money, typically by means of transfers involving foreign banks or legitimate businesses.
    "he was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion"

nope, he was questioned, not even indicted...

No. I've followed this story from the start.

He did nothing wrong.

So have I. I'm convinced he has been laundering money. 103 Years is really OTP in my opinion, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back in the Netherlands quite soon.

The conviction in Thailand was for spending money earned from the legal sale of drugs in the Netherlands.

Since you like to point to the OP: "He was jailed for laundering money made from the coffee shops which were licenced in the Netherlands." Pretending he is an innocent victim is in my opinion total BS.

Stevenl, I know you are a Dutch man, please enlighten some stubborn people on this forum if in The Netherlands LEGAL goods usually are stored in a hidden room, and if so for what reason.

http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/05/22/hidden-room-filled-with-weed-forces-coffeeshops-closure/

A business premises on Kooikerstraat in Tilburg from where The Grass Company coffee shops are supplied, has been closed down for 6 months. Mayor Peter Noordanus made this decision on Thursday after large quantities of cannabis were discovered in a hidden room.

According to the mayor, the hidden room could only have been conceived by the architect and contractor working together. “I, together with the Public Prosecutor, will definitely also address the relevant contractor and architect on this matter. It can not be that in Tilburg business in construction cooperate in organized crime.”

No. I've followed this story from the start.

He did nothing wrong.

Stevenl, I know you are a Dutch man, please enlighten some stubborn people on this forum if in The Netherlands LEGAL goods usually are stored in a hidden room, and if so for what reason.

http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/05/22/hidden-room-filled-with-weed-forces-coffeeshops-closure/

A business premises on Kooikerstraat in Tilburg from where The Grass Company coffee shops are supplied, has been closed down for 6 months. Mayor Peter Noordanus made this decision on Thursday after large quantities of cannabis were discovered in a hidden room.

According to the mayor, the hidden room could only have been conceived by the architect and contractor working together. “I, together with the Public Prosecutor, will definitely also address the relevant contractor and architect on this matter. It can not be that in Tilburg business in construction cooperate in organized crime.”

That is a grey area in coffeeshops. But officially not allowed, and also not officially tolerated.

This is my last reply to you, because you prefer to close your eyes to facts, rather than admit you're sprouting nothing but drivel.

The founder of this chain, Johan van Laarhoven, is currently imprisoned in Thailand, where he was recently sentenced to 103 years in prison for money laundering and earning money from selling soft drugs in the Netherlands.

Let the other posters know which part of the conviction you don't understand, and why there can be a conviction if it isn't illegal.

Bye bye

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch gedoogbeleid policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.

The Thai courts verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

Quite. You seem to be confusing a policy with a law. Authorities may turn a blind eye to an illegal activity but that does not make it legal.

You also seem to be unable or unwilling to acknowledge that earnings may be illegal.

No. He's in gaol for spending money he earned legally in the Netherlands. At the time of his arrest, trial and conviction he was not facing charges in the Netherlands. He had an agreement to appear there within 5 days of charges being laid. No such charges were made at the time of his arrest in Thailand.

Bye bye

No. He's in gaol for spending money he earned legally in the Netherlands. At the time of his arrest, trial and conviction he was not facing charges in the Netherlands. He had an agreement to appear there within 5 days of charges being laid. No such charges were made at the time of his arrest in Thailand.

He is in jail for money laundering, your denials notwithstanding

no he's not.

''Not long after that, the Dutch prosecutor’s office (Openbaar Ministerie) launched an investigation into the Grass Company for money laundering. During years of investigation, no evidence was found that could convict Van Laarhoven or his business partners in the Netherlands.

Van Laarhoven and the Openbaar Ministerie agreed that if they ever again wanted to interrogate him about the case, he would report to the Netherlands within five days of their request.

After a request from a Dutch lawyer working for Openbaar Ministerie, the Thai authorities launched their own investigation into Van Laarhoven. Several days later he and his wife were arrested at their Pattaya home.

Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch “gedoogbeleid” policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.

The Thai court’s verdict, however, ignores that policy, concluding that money earned with the sale of drugs has to be illegal money. Therefore, spending that money is a crime. His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

Edited by Bluespunk

no he's not.

''Not long after that, the Dutch prosecutor’s office (Openbaar Ministerie) launched an investigation into the Grass Company for money laundering. During years of investigation, no evidence was found that could convict Van Laarhoven or his business partners in the Netherlands.

"In the Netherlands, the selling of cannabis is "illegal, but not punishable", so the law is not enforced in establishments following these nationwide rules:

• No advertising
  • No hard drug sales on the premises
  • No sales to anyone under the age of 18
  • No sale of quantities greater than five grams
  • No public disturbance"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeeshop_(Netherlands)

Bang! One argument shot down for relying on false information.

no he's not.

"In the Netherlands, the selling of cannabis is "illegal, but not punishable", so the law is not enforced in establishments following these nationwide rules:

• No advertising
  • No hard drug sales on the premises
  • No sales to anyone under the age of 18
  • No sale of quantities greater than five grams
  • No public disturbance"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeeshop_(Netherlands)

Bang! One argument shot down for relying on false information.

And what charges after years of investigation were laid against him...hmm, after checking the OP I find none.

He had done nothing that warranted prosecution.

His money therefore was legally earned.

Bang! Argument restored.

His assets in Thailand were siezed and his home and vehicles were auctioned off.''

They can and will do exactly the same thing in the UK, where the proceeds of crime are concerned.

Don't you see that the articles I linked to are about developments in the case AFTER that agreement was made, or is it just that you just parrot yourself, because you can't rebut my comments.

According to the Telegraaf, the police also raided the building of The Grass Company itself, which is situated on Spoorlaan.

These actions happened at the same time that the court in The Hague was handling a lawsuit against the company’s founder Johan van Laarhoven. He has been in custody in Thailand, where he is suspected of money laundering, since last summer.

I guess he didn't report within 5 days then

And don't you see that at the time of his trial he had an agreement to return to face charges.

Instead of being given this opportunity he was arrested and tried and convicted for spending money that at the time was, from a legal standpoint, legitimately earned.

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands.''

He has committed no crime here and should not be in gaol.

Bye bye

''Fifteen months later, Van Laarhoven was convicted for spending money in Thailand that he earned by selling cannabis in the Netherlands. It should be noted that the sale of cannabis in coffee shops is legal in the Netherlands and the Dutch “gedoogbeleid” policy ensures that authorities turn a blind eye when coffee shop owners buy stock from illegal dealers.

• Thailand saw a cash cow, arrested him and took his money.

Simple and Understandable Explanation

Except for the troll team who as usual spins it as this is "law Enforcement" hah. Its theft plain and simple. Not like anyone here doesn't know how they do business.

What crime?

Money laundering, also something that is illegal in Thailand but not in Holland.

Thailand isn't like ultra-liberal Holland where a "blind-eye" is turned to such things.

Also, remember, Thailand has a massive problem with illicit drugs

What crime?

Money laundering, also something that is illegal in Thailand but not in Holland.

Thailand isn't like ultra-liberal Holland where a "blind-eye" is turned to such things.

Also, remember, Thailand has a massive problem with illicit drugs

He was investigated for several years and no evidence of money laundering or any other offences was found.

The money he earned at the time of his arrest here was legally earned.

He committed no crime.

What don't you understand from the OP 'he was jailed for laundering money'.

The link from the OP to the source of the story makes clear why he was arrested.
Sure mate. He was totally innocent but the whole world is out to get him.

The link from the OP to the source of the story makes clear why he was arrested.

He's totally innocent? Never said that. He is again under investigation in the Netherlands so he could well yet be found guilty of something.

However he committed no crime in Thailand.

He was gaoled for spending money that was deemed legally earned in The Netherlands after several years of investigation.

Oh and by the way, I'm not your mate.

Edited by Bluespunk

Sending large amounts of money to Thailand without being able to explain where it came from can get you in all kinds of trouble.

Maybe the dutch tax department could not find any wrong doing but this money has to come from somewhere?

Again,not so much to do with softdrugs but evading tax.

He's totally innocent? Never said that. He is again under investigation in the Netherlands so he could well yet be found guilty of something.

However he committed no crime in Thailand.

He was gaoled for spending money that was deemed legally earned in The Netherlands after several years of investigation.

Oh and by the way, I'm not your mate.

You clearly don't want to know.