Am I liable, and what do I do?

anselpixel

I gave the truck to my ex-wife when we divorced over two months ago, and she still hasn't taken the title transfer paperwork to Land Transport. I gave her signed title transfer forms and copies of my passport.

For some reason, she's not inclined to follow through on this, so a truck I haven't seen for weeks is still driving around Chiang Mai with my name on it.

Am I liable if there's an accident and someone is hurt or killed? If so, what can I do to protect myself?

Thanks.

Edited by PoorSucker
Changed to stadard font

Is the title transfer paperwork signed with her name too? Did you keep an authenticated copy (manually signed by both parties) or even better an original?

Of course not.

I incorrectly assumed she'd want to own it so she could sell it.

Never dawned on me this would be the result.

Well, I'd go to the nearest police station and explain my case.

See what they're suggesting (maybe they'll suggest to declare it stolen! wouldn't surprise me)

Thanks. I could talk to the guys on Ratchdamnoen. They have an English speaking volunteer who maybe could help.

Report it stolen?

That's harsh, but it occurred to me.

I'd only do that if I find I'm fully liable.

If you done that that would be the dumbest ass action anyone could do. Filing a criminal report with the police, wasting police time and resources on a wild goose chase holds serious consequences, up to 3 years imprisonment and a hefty fine. You can only do that if the vehicle still belongs to you, you want it back and your ex refuses to return the truck to you, then I guess that would be civil not criminal.

You should visit the office where the vehicle was registered, explain the situation and ask them what to do. That`s what any person with even half a brain cell would do.

Aha... how funny. Do you really imagine that Thai cops chase cars declared stolen? in your dreams only...

However, you make a valid point. If the OP still talks to his ex, he might want to tell her "do the necessary paperwork or I want the car back". If she refuses, then you have grounds to declare it stolen.

Is the truck insured (that is more than the basic Por Ror Bor). If so go to the insurance company and ask them , they would probably know more about this, If not insured maybe worth trying an insurance company with a general enquiry.

Yes you can be held liable, it hapened to a Thai friend.

The easiest thing to do is contact your ex and tell her to register it in her name within a week and provide you with a copy of the completed document,

and if she does not do that, you will contact the police and take legal action.

Follow up that with a letter to her stating the same sent registered mail and keep a copy.

Reporting it stolen would be a bit off because you gave it to her. It was your mistake not to take it and her to the transport office and maike the transfer rather than just signing some papers.

Edited by Dante99

Is the truck insured (that is more than the basic Por Ror Bor). If so go to the insurance company and ask them , they would probably know more about this, If not insured maybe worth trying an insurance company with a general enquiry.

If the truck is insured I would not talk to the insurance company because they might find cause to cancel leaving a much larger potential liability for the registered owner. Legal games.

Try to find a good lawyer ASAP.

Forget about the cops.

What should this be good for? Go to the police, perhaps tourist cops, that speak english and explain the situation. They should be able to advise on what to do. You may also notify DLT and provide them with copies of the paperwork. Let them give you some proof of your report. If nothing else happens, you can show later that you are no longer in possession of the the car.

I would go to transfer office - write out a statement that you have transferred the vehicle. if someone has an accident that is their problem but if the vehicle is not notified as transferred and you do not renew the license than there can be a problem.

Is the title transfer paperwork signed with her name too? Did you keep an authenticated copy (manually signed by both parties) or even better an original?

Of course not.

If she will sell it, she probably wants to avoid putting it in her name (fees, and paperwork) and with the paper you signed sell it. That is a way things are often done with resellers but it leaves you hanging until it is out of your name which is not good.

going to the police is a waste of time they either don,t know what to do or they cant be bothered.

your ex wife probably does,nt know where to go or how to do the exchange, or to lazy.

if your still on speaking terms I suggest you speak with her and tell her you will go with her

to do the exchange.

going to the police is a waste of time

No, it is not. If you made a police report you're done with it.

you have experience of this ? yes if you go to the police you sure are done with it.

you will not hear from the police. as i said best sorted out with the wife.

going to the police is a waste of time

No, it is not. If you made a police report you're done with it.

you have experience of this ? yes if you go to the police you sure are done with it.

you will not hear from the police. as i said best sorted out with the wife.

What does it matter if you hear from police or not? The point is you made a report. Welcome to Thailand :)

Report it stolen?

If you done that that would be the dumbest ass action anyone could do. Filing a criminal report with the police, wasting police time and resources on a wild goose chase holds serious consequences, up to 3 years imprisonment and a hefty fine. You can only do that if the vehicle still belongs to you, you want it back and your ex refuses to return the truck to you, then I guess that would be civil not criminal.

You should visit the office where the vehicle was registered, explain the situation and ask them what to do. That`s what any person with even half a brain cell would do.

That last sentence illustrates why I never ask for advice from TVF members.

Of course not.

Does she have money to support the truck? vehicles are cash siphoners!

Of course not.

Does she have money to support the truck? vehicles are cash siphoners!

Only gas is required, the rest is unnecessary.

Report it stolen?

That last sentence illustrates why I never ask for advice from TVF members.

Never stop asking for advice from Thaivisa members just because of one not very nice person, about 95% are very decent and helpful

as I have found out so many times.