Thailand's beer: What are you drinking?

webfact

Thailand's beer: What are you drinking?
JAMES NEWMAN

thailand-beer-cheers.jpg
Featured image by Gemma Amor (Creative Commons)

BANGKOK: -- With Bangkok’s hot and sticky climate one can be excused for enjoying an ice cold beer at the end of a hot and hectic day at the office.

But which beer should we choose to consume?

Should we add ice, and what chemicals can we expect to be digesting with our next glass of liquid gold?

The problem is that the more I drink Thai beer the next day I feel that I am being punished for a crime worse than drinking Thai beer. The headaches acquired from a good session of Leo or Chang seem unfair. Of course the conspiracy theories abound, my favorite being the use of embalming fluids to sterilize our sacred brews.

A good session on European lager or London ales will not hammer you quite like Thai beer does. Why is this? Is there a way to escape these beer relentless headaches? Should I just quit the beer and nourish myself on sin tax-levied soda pop instead?

Below I walk you through the various beers brewed in Thailand and how they stack up against one another.

My first introduction to beer in Thailand came in the shape of Singha; I tried it a Thai restaurant back in my home town. Singha is a bitter lager and one that I’d reserve for emergencies. It isn’t really the type of beer you could drink every day. There is just something not quite right about it, but if you like your beer or lager with a bite to it, Singha may be the beer for you.

Heineken I drank for years in Thailand thinking that it was somehow better quality than the local brands owing to the European label.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/thailands-beer-what-are-you-drinking/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-06-17

http://www.lewbryson.com/formaldehyde.htm

the formaldehyde story seems to be an urban legend.

if it were true, the news would already have published lab results.

I will give a try to this riceberry described in the article.

I'm generally inconvenienced by non-German beers because I get headaches from them, the naturally brewed German beers (by law they can't contain anything else than water, barley and malt) cause me much less headaches.

Another question I have is which is the beer sold in Thailand that is the least bitter?

I somewhat liked Chang draught and Chang export before they killed them. Now I drink Leo and Cheers.

The cheers riceberry is pretty good, my fave. Thai beer. Not so easy to find, only the larger 7s stock it at 49B a 490 ml. can. does not compare to Lao dark (the article mistakenly said Leo dark) . It has a decent dry taste. Nice to see an article speaking onestly about Thai products

• Like 1

Chang Classic over ice if nothing else is available.

With the advent of such companies as Honey Cider and Wishbeer, I usually tend to have plenty of excellent cider/Ales in the fridge, (Aspall's Premier Cru or Organic, Thatcher's Green Goblin and Katy, various Young's/Fuller's/Well's/occasional Ruddle's etc. Ales) which I love over ice in the garden of an evening with a decent cigar in the garden when in Thailand.

Cider is a real refresher in the climate. Far, far more effective at restoring the tissues and clearing the dust of a hot dry day out of the system than the local mediocre beer.

One of my locals even kindly allow me to bring a few bottles from home (for a small 'corkage' fee or free if the wife comes too) while I sit and perve People Watch in the evenings but sadly they're not too taken with the cigar smoke as yet....

• Like 2

I love articles about beer, but this one was a bit inaccurate. Cheers Riceberry has nothing in common with dark beers, maybe just with colour, but when it comes to flavour no way! Also, I have never heard or seen a Leo Dark beer. I know of Lao Dark and it has nothing in common with "Cheers Riceberry". Completely outclassed beers. I would rather have a Lao Dark than any Thai brewed beers. It's sad but true.

Edited by Thunder26
  • Like 1

http://www.lewbryson.com/formaldehyde.htm

the formaldehyde story seems to be an urban legend.

if it were true, the news would already have published lab results.

I will give a try to this riceberry described in the article.

I'm generally inconvenienced by non-German beers because I get headaches from them, the naturally brewed German beers (by law they can't contain anything else than water, barley and malt) cause me much less headaches.

Another question I have is which is the beer sold in Thailand that is the least bitter?

I somewhat liked Chang draught and Chang export before they killed them. Now I drink Leo and Cheers.

I like Chang draught but not the cans or Leo in cans something has changed. I now drink Singha a little better. Prefer draught beer though.

Have heard rumours of Formaldehyde being used as a strilising/preservative agent in beers in Thailand.

The other day I was talking with a Norwegian friend who is in the contamination clear up industry here in Thailand, who confirmed to me that formaldehyde is indeed used in the brewing process in Thailand for the purposes mentioned above, as he often works with the beer companies in supplying a clean up bacterial product to the brewing companies.

I would like confirm formaldehyde is indeed left out of the brewing process

Everyone has missed the Elephant in the room and I don't mean Chang. Singh Light. This is a low, relatively, alcohol beer. Due to vario0us medical conditions, Dr's. recommended me to cut down on my beer drinking, 1 even went as far as suggesting that I stick to Singha Light, saying it would be better for me. So many years ago I switched to it. I found that I no longer had thick heads in the mornings, I could jump out of bed easily even after a big night. I have found that I can easily drink 12 bottles of it with zero ill effects. A major plus is that even after 12 I am not drunk, yes I get the buzz so I have a good night but none of the issues normally associated. Its the biggest selling beer in the Pattaya area, unfortunately in other parts of Thailand it can be hard to get.

• Like 1

Am over the local swill so each month (payday) I buy a few boxes from wish beer. Typically only buy IPA's though.

This month I bought BrewDog - Jackhammer, 8 Wired - Super Conductor, To Ol - Insane In The Grain and Stone Brewing - Ruination Double.

All very nice beers.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

I read as much as I could about what goes into alot of beers. A thread awhile ago got my goat and I spent some time on it. I dont want to get into a debate. But mass produced beers can contain quite a few nasty chemicals in them. Lots of mass produced beers use lots and lots of rice as well.Mass produced beers are no diffrent than mass produced meats and other processed foods. Moderation is the key for me. I cut by drinking by 90% so no worries. I also have a great little International Market near where I live and they carry a fantastic selection of International Beers and Wines so when I drink I splurge on a German or Belgium beer.....That being said, In a pinch...I will buy an Archa or two as it reminds me of some American crap Beers.

Federbrau is (allegedly) brewed in accordance with the German purity law of 1516. So in theory you should be able to drink it from now until the end of time and never get a hangover.

They're all crap, but out of the major brands I've chosen Tiger, closest to palatable. I'm thinking of starting to brew my own.

i'll second that!

Won't touch Chang or Leo at all, will do Sing/Hein if nothing else but usually regret it, the house is always stocked with Tiger... and when I can afford it, Hoegaarden, Duval, Leffe

This op has no idea about beer what a load of crap he talks and what a pussy to get headaches from Thia beer should stick to water your certainly not a man

I do not believe the OP (Webfact) wrote the article.

They're all crap, but out of the major brands I've chosen Tiger, closest to palatable. I'm thinking of starting to brew my own.

Although technical illegal, there are plenty of homebrew shops in Bangkok.

I think some folks here are getting confused:

--There's LEO Beer, one among many c**p Thai beers brewed locally by one of the big Thai beer conglomerates.

--And then there's Beer LAO, regular and dark, brewed in Laos and probably the best, lower priced import beer.

Similar name, but worlds apart.

• Like 1