Green vision -why?

Deserted

I've been trying to get an answer on this for some time but with no success. When I was 28 I had a horrible experience where my vision went completely green twice in the same morning. Everything was in focus but all was green.

I thought it was just a one off and left it at that but last month it happened again but this time I can provide info. I had been exercising a lot and was very tired at the time. I noticed that when I stood up quickly I would get a rush of blood to the head and lose my vision completly for a split second or two but that I thibk is quite normal but again on two occasions after standing up quickly my entire visual field went green. The only difference was that when I was 28 it lasted for around 5 seconds, maybe more can't be sure whereas this time it was only for about a second or so, so a bit shorter. On every occasion my vision returned to normal but I have googled many times and it seems like such a rare thing to happen, I can't get convincing advice, the closest being that a dramatic drop in glucose levels could have been the cause. On both occasions (when I was 28 and last month) I was tired from exercise, that's the only common factor but if someone could add I would be grateful.

I've looked at those pages before and didn't find them helpful frankly. I was in a state of fatigue on both occasions through exercise and seemed like the green vision was a reaction to that in some way. But why and what that means I don't know. Have googled extensively and not found anything that is of use except the point about glucose levels. I would say I was low in sugar in my bloodstream on both occasions and probably dehydrated too. They are the only two common factors and the brief snap into green vision seemed to be a response of some kind but why I just don't know. I'm not concerned but would welcome any comments.

google "causes of chromatopsia".

This can be caused by many things, including soemtimes medications. In the situations you describe, a temporary drop in blood pressure (and therefore perfusion of the eye and optic nerves) is the most likely cause.

Suddenly standing up can cause such temporary drops in BP.

There are, however, some retinal disturbances which can cause abnormal color vision so if it recurs it would be wise to see an opthalmologist for a retinal check.

google "causes of chromatopsia".

This can be caused by many things, including soemtimes medications. In the situations you describe, a temporary drop in blood pressure (and therefore perfusion of the eye and optic nerves) is the most likely cause.

Suddenly standing up can cause such temporary drops in BP.

There are, however, some retinal disturbances which can cause abnormal color vision so if it recurs it would be wise to see an opthalmologist for a retinal check.

Hello thanks,my feeling is that it may have been a blood pressure issue, I had been cycling for many hours in both cases and was close to exhaustion both times. I thought that it would be a result of fatigue or lack of sugar but I didn't know what. I was dehydrated in both cases.

Dumb as it sounds, as kids, friends and I thought it was great fun to squat with our thumbs tucked behind our knees and take 20 deep breaths. We'd then stand quickly, put our thumbs in our mouths and blow.....this would usually cause up to pass out for 3 or four seconds. We thought it hilarious.

Not easy to survive childhood.

Heavy, unaccustomed exercise can do weird things. When I was in my early 30's, a friend invited me to play racquetball for the first time at his club. I was not in good physical shape and he was a skilled player. He ran me all over the court and I was exhausted by the time we finished playing.

The club had a hot whirlpool bath and we entered it. After about 5 minutes I began to feel really strange and my friend became very alarmed when my face literally fell...like I'd suddenly aged 30 years...similar to Bell's Palsy. I had difficulty speaking, was also somewhat disoriented and needed assistance getting out of the tub. My friend drove me to a nearby hospital and I was given the usual work-up and held over night. By morning, my symptoms had disappeared and my face returned to normal. The Doctors said I had probably suffered a mini stroke and urged I get follow up testing but I had no health insurance at the time so I just let it go. Fortunately for me, it never happened again.

Exercise if you aren't used ot can but i've cycled all my life and am pretty fit. On both those days I was much more tired than usual though, and the last time it happened my health worsened severely so that a blood vessel burst in my eye and I fad fever i couldn't shake for days on end. I couldn't eat or get out of bed even

Archived