Backpackers swim in flood water on Khao San because, how often do they get to do that?

webfact

I hate those backpackers!!!! DESPISE!!!! They smile, no worries, and keep smiling!!!! They love the culture and embrace things without judging!!! What do they know!!!!

These kids need to never travel......I much prefer the fat old guy who is miserable, never smiles, complains, gets tired walking 1 foot, and drinks all day with bar girl...

these young kids want to learn....NO!!!!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for a "western education", embarrassing really.

How do you know they're not Russians?

They are having fun,smiling, definitely not russian, Ozzies for sure.

If they were Aussies, they'd have to be with bogans from the Gold Coast or Western Sydney, Rooty Hill.

My bet is that they are Poms, just taking their annual bath.

Grubs.

I haven't had a bath since 2004 as it is a waste of water. I do shower a couple of times a day though. I am Brit but NOT a soap dodger.

So much for a "western education", embarrassing really.

How do you know they're not Russians?

If they were Aussies, they'd have to be with bogans from the Gold Coast or Western Sydney, Rooty Hill.

Grubs.

I haven't had a bath since 2004 as it is a waste of water. I do shower a couple of times a day though. I am Brit but NOT a soap dodger.

Is that a pommie shower or a real one?

tongue.png

Grubs.

Is that a pommie shower or a real one?

tongue.png

I live in rural Thailand and use the hot shower or if I am feeling brave I use the dip shower (but not in winter).

Still better than sex tourists and pervs... ?

Not really.

What's wrong with being a perv? I'm harming no-one; I'm having the time of my life; my shirt reads - 'I Support Single Moms'.

These girls have been let down by their Thai partners & the Government who have failed to insist on Child Support.

Still better than sex tourists and pervs... ?

Why would anyone have a problem with sex tourists? An ugly older man holding a young female may look a bit odd if you've just arrived from Europe, but seriously, why do you care? As long as they don't infringe on your rights, you have no business sticking your big nose into other people's business.

Live and let be.

On the other hand, backpackers regularly make themselves look bad - screaming and shouting, abusing locals, getting into arguments over 5 Baht etc. They deserve to be ridiculed.

For the life of me I don't understand why backpackers are so reviled nearly everywhere.

Complete mystery.

W

I don't revile them, but they are a weird species even though in terms of my age, I could be in the backpacker demographic but I choose not to be.

These are some of the reasons backpackers are reviled:

- they are cheap, not just cheap but super stingy like extreme cheapskates style. They'll fight over 5 Baht. At overland border crossings they'll hold up buses for 2 hours just to make a point about not wanting to pay $2 in fees to a Cambodian or Lao immigration officer and then they'll post a blog about it!

- they smell and rarely shower. That one needs no explanation.

- they walk around everywhere with their huge backpacks, even to inappropriate places.

- they stay in the dingiest dives then complain about how bad it was. Duh...what did you expect for $5 a night, a palace? Spend a buck, stay somewhere better.

- they get upset/offended etc. if a place quoted in their "bible" i.e. the Lonely Planet guidebook to whichever country they're in, has increased it's prices and will argue with the owner that the "guide" told them you are cheating them!

- they don't really care about local culture, preferring only to gravitate to wherever they can find cheap drinks with the objective to get as drunk as often and quickly as possible.

- they are loud, arrogant, belligerent and often abuse locals. No wonder many of them get fed up and start attacking these imbeciles, then they wonder how they end up in hospital.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Backpacker are generally nice. I've spent many an evening at Khao Sarn getting to know the great unwashed. Their youthful optimism rubs off and the evenings are enjoyable. Some are coming back and exploring the more "high-end" side of BKK and I've joined them on occasion, again, good times.

Does not surprise me at all with some of the Backpackers I've met what they will do. I hope they all had their "shots" up to date. Like a lot of tourists that come here, they leave their brains at home.

Best lines I heard from Thais was when 5 to 6 Back packers checked in to the National Park Camp site for an overnight stay. After they left to put up their tents, one Thai said. "Hope the use the shower soon...they stink!" Another Thai said, "don't need to worry about seeing Elephants tonight." That was the gest of the conversation.

For the life of me I don't understand why backpackers are so reviled nearly everywhere.

Complete mystery.

W

I don't revile them, but they are a weird species even though in terms of my age, I could be in the backpacker demographic but I choose not to be.

- they are cheap, not just cheap but super stingy like extreme cheapskates style. They'll fight over 5 Baht. At overland border crossings they'll hold up buses for 2 hours just to make a point about not wanting to pay $2 in fees to a Cambodian or Lao immigration officer and then they'll post a blog about it!

- they walk around everywhere with their huge backpacks, even to inappropriate places.

- they stay in the dingiest dives then complain about how bad it was. Duh...what did you expect for $5 a night, a palace? Spend a buck, stay somewhere better.

- they get upset/offended etc. if a place quoted in their "bible" i.e. the Lonely Planet guidebook to whichever country they're in, has increased it's prices and will argue with the owner that the "guide" told them you are cheating them!

- they don't really care about local culture, preferring only to gravitate to wherever they can find cheap drinks with the objective to get as drunk as often and quickly as possible.

- they are loud, arrogant, belligerent and often abuse locals. No wonder many of them get fed up and start attacking these imbeciles, then they wonder how they end up in hospital.

Total nonsense. In Thailand many don't really revile the backpacker until they give them a funny look as they are double the age of the Thai woman they are with. They make fun of the backpacker or the TEFL teacher as it makes their sexpat life seem superior. Yes, I've been a backpacker and wasn't dirty. I had a beard and long hair and smoked copious amounts of dope but was always clean. Never had a Lonely Planet but did read some once or twice. Those were some of the best days of my life - travelling around India in 6 months by train, Nepal, Thailand, Mexico, Venezuela, France, Spain, Australia and many other countries.

I'd say your post is way off the mark.

Complete mystery.

W

Total nonsense. In Thailand many don't really revile the backpacker until they give them a funny look as they are double the age of the Thai woman they are with. They make fun of the backpacker or the TEFL teacher as it makes their sexpat life seem superior. Yes, I've been a backpacker and wasn't dirty. I had a beard and long hair and smoked copious amounts of dope but was always clean. Never had a Lonely Planet but did read some once or twice. Those were some of the best days of my life - travelling around India in 6 months by train, Nepal, Thailand, Mexico, Venezuela, France, Spain, Australia and many other countries.

I'd say your post is way off the mark.

Probably most of the grumpy old guys have been disowned by their own kids for giving up with some Thai bird, who is a not only an embarrassment but a threat to their inheritance.

Have to admit i utterly despise backpackers. They are just above nonces for me

I remember doing the same in the big flood of 95.

If it weren't for backpackers like me being adventurous and finding new places, you old sexpats wouldn't be here.

Tell me about my life mate....on you go. You have a fairly large audience reading this post, so, please, make sure you don't make a fool of yourself by getting anything wrong.

Over to you mate.....

You made a fool of yourself all on your own... mate.

I was a 'backpacker' here once upon a time and subsequently travelled the world, twice. I forget how many countries I did. I'm now a family man and have put shed loads into the Thai economy. I do not regret those days one bit, some amazing experiences, and still plan to do some more. The one thing that keeps me in that mindset is the utter dread of turning into some cantankerous, miserable old fart.

I went backpacking for a year and stayed in hotels away from communication with your average dreadlocked white middle class tosser. I met a girl in Borneo who proudly stated she could wear the same pair of knickers, by turning them around, for 4 whole days! Charming. They are repulsive in my opinion but, as this story shows......

totally harmless.

The older I get the more I realize I'm probably jealous of the wrecklessness they show and the total disregard for things in life that bring about stress. They also seem to appreciate things far more than I ever did so good luck to them.

I hate those fat, expats!!!! DESPISE!!!! They smile, no worries, and keep smiling!!!! They love the culture and embrace things without judging!!! What do they know!!!!

These expats need to never travel......I much prefer the backpacker who is miserable, never smiles, complains, gets tired walking 1 foot, and drinks all day with bar girl...

these expats want to learn....No!!!!!

Given the Thai approach to drainage and sewage, and given the omnipresent smell of raw sewage along Sukhumvit sometimes, the chances are that the durty water these clowns are floating face-down in contains more than a little faeces.

Enjoy... why not take a few mouthsful? That after-taste isn't chilli paste.

W

Probably some here for years and never been to a full moon party.

Fond memories with a deadlocked juggling unicyclist ozzie girl, making love on the beach after a magic mushroom omelette in 1990, when the parties were beginning.

Some just won't understand the freedom we had.

Probably the first wash they have had in months, typical soapdodging scratchers

Relating not washing with hippy clothes, long hair etc is irrational.

The only anti conformist thing you have probably done is join "thai lust lines" to find a gf