Clarification needed.

Hel123

Hi,

I have a Thai license and have purchased a new Nissan which came with Full Insurance.

My question:-

My 24 year old son is here on holiday for a few weeks, he has a Full UK licence (Hasn't got an International Driving Permit)

Can he drive my car whilst he is here on his UK licence.

I've heard lots of conflicting opinions so if anyone can clarify the position I would be grateful.

Thanks

H

Unless the rules have changed since 2013 (last time I checked), without an international driving permit, driving in Thailand is breaking the law.

I had an accident in the girlfriends car in 2013 and the insurance company (1st class insurance policy) took details from my UK driving licence and my IDP before processing the claim.

Although this forum is a mine of (usually good) information, for peace of mind ask your insurance company.

If there's a problem and thus a claim, they're the ones deciding if they settle that claim.

An often recurring question.

I just browsed through some sources and the common statement seems to be:

A UK driving license is sufficient for temporary use in Thailand.

UK is a member of the Geneva convention of 1949 and the license has a photo and is in English.

That seem to be the requirements.

-----------------------

On the other hand:

As far as I remember it's pretty easy to get an IDP in the UK? (post office or AA?)

Or is too late?

The UK IDP (together with the UK license) if fully acknowledged without any doubt.

Thanks guys - Yeah he forgot to go and get an IDP from a post office in the UK.

I've also checked with a friend who owns a car hire company and he also said a UK licence is ok for temporary/holiday use.

Cheers

H

Agree with the above, a UK licence is ok here for tourists.

BUT It may be wise to contact your insurance company just in case the cover for an overseas licence holder is reduced.

Unless the rules have changed since 2013 (last time I checked), without an international driving permit, driving in Thailand is breaking the law.

I had an accident in the girlfriends car in 2013 and the insurance company (1st class insurance policy) took details from my UK driving licence and my IDP before processing the claim.

Although this forum is a mine of (usually good) information, for peace of mind ask your insurance company.

If there's a problem and thus a claim, they're the ones deciding if they settle that claim.

Rules have not changed: UK photo licence in English is legal for tourists

Just recently hired a car from Avis . My Australian license was acceptable. I think Avis would require an IDP if driving on my license was illegal. I do believe that you are allowed to drive for 3 months legally. I was stopped once by the BIB and asked for my IDP. Just gave him my license which he checked and no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Without IDP, the insurance company can refuse the coverage, in case of en accident. Even most of car rental insurances cover foreign drivers only with IDP.

IDP is not legally required, not possessing one would not be a reason to deny an insurance claim.

Your claim about car rental insurance is nonsense.

An IDP can make life easier at a police check point though.

Agree with the above, a UK licence is ok here for tourists.

BUT It may be wise to contact your insurance company just in case the cover for an overseas licence holder is reduced.

Good advice and l did check a while back for my son and cover was OK because the car was fully insured not the driver.

A full UK photo-card type driving licence holder is valid up to 90 days in Thailand just make sure he/she carries a copy of their passport and stamped entry page.

Just recently hired a car from Avis . My Australian license was acceptable. I think Avis would require an IDP if driving on my license was illegal. I do believe that you are allowed to drive for 3 months legally. I was stopped once by the BIB and asked for my IDP. Just gave him my license which he checked and no problem.

l'd be careful my Oz mate needed an IDP with his Oz full driving license to drive in Thailand, it's something to do with the Aussies having lots of different states and having to have a valid DL for the state in which they live and are registered.