Retirement Visa for Canadian in Canada

Head is swimming. Very confusing this Visa stuff. I'm in Canada, leaving for LOS on Sept. 29/16. Retired and wanting to stay in LOS, Chiang Rai for a year minimum. Can meet financial requirements. Want to apply for Visa here in Canada. Can someone tell me exactly what visa I need to apply for? Thanks in advance. clap2.gif

1. Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' Visa (if available).

• 90 day stay on entry.
  • During the last 30 (maybe 45) days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement (over 50) at Chiang Rai Immigration. You will need to have deposited 800K in a Thai bank for at least 60 days before applying OR have an income (certified by your Embassy in Bangkok) of 65K pm OR a combination of the two.
  • At the end of the year you can apply for another 1 year extension.

2. Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'O-A' Visa. (Ottawa Embassy or the Consulate in Vancouver*)

• The same financial requirements are needed, but the 800K baht equivalent can be in a Canadian bank.
  • 1 year stay on entry.
  • If you want to stay longer than 1 year, at the end of the year, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay (as non 'O' above) OR do a border hop just before the visa expires to get a final 1 year stay.
  • At the end of that 2nd year you can apply for a 1 extension of stay OR go back to Ottawa for another non 'O-A' visa.

Edit. *

Edited by elviajero

You can apply for a non-oa visa at the embassy in Ottawa or the official consulate in Vancouver. It will be issued as a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year and can be stretched to a total stay of two years. Requirements are here on the embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa-temporary-residents

You could also get a single entry non-o visa that would allow a 90 day entry that can be extended at a immigration office here for one year. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. You could get the non-o visa at one of the honorary consensulaes listed here: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/obtaining-visa-canada

• 90 day stay on entry.
  • During the last 30 (maybe 45) days you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement (over 50) at Chiang Rai Immigration. You will need to have deposited 800K in a Thai bank for at least 60 days before applying OR have an income (certified by your Embassy in Bangkok) of 65K pm OR a combination of the two.

2. Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'O-A' Visa. (Ottawa Embassy or the Consulate in Vancouver*)

• The same financial requirements are needed, but the 800K baht equivalent can be in a Canadian bank.
  • 1 year stay on entry.
  • If you want to stay longer than 1 year, at the end of the year, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay (as non 'O' above) OR do a border hop just before the visa expires to get a final 1 year stay.
  • At the end of that 2nd year you can apply for a 1 extension of stay OR go back to Ottawa for another non 'O-A' visa.

Edit. *

The money needs to be in the bank for 90 days not 60 for a retirement visa

Edited by gandalf12

• 90 day stay on entry.

• 1 year stay on entry.

Edit. *

It is 60 days for the first extension. Then 3 months (not 90 days) after that.

• 90 day stay on entry.

• 1 year stay on entry.

Edit. *

The money only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply for a visa.

If applying for an extension of stay based on retirement it's never 90 days. It's 60 days for the first extension and 3 months in subsequent years.

• Like 1

• 90 day stay on entry.

• 1 year stay on entry.

Edit. *

"The money needs to be in the bank for 90 days not 60 for a retirement visa"

It's an extension of stay, not a visa, and for the first extension based on retirement the money needs to be seasoned for only 60 days.

• 90 day stay on entry.

• 1 year stay on entry.

Edit. *

It's an extension of stay, not a visa, and for the first extension based on retirement the money needs to be seasoned for only 60 days.

You are wrong I have just been through the process and it is 90 days. You go after 60 and see what they say.

Yes I know it is an extension of stay for considering the topic it is irrelevant.

• 90 day stay on entry.

• 1 year stay on entry.

Edit. *

You are wrong I have just been through the process and it is 90 days. You go after 60 and see what they say.

Yes I know it is an extension of stay for considering the topic it is irrelevant.

From clause 2.22 of police order 327/2557

"(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date:"

• 90 day stay on entry.

• 1 year stay on entry.

Edit. *

Nope. 60 days, and it is not a Visa.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

Hi Randy99

I am also Canadian with a similar situation. I decided on the O-A because it gives 2 years and allows you to keep funds at home ( the future in Thailand is... interesting at the moment ). If you are happy here, you can switch over to an extension of stay easily at a later date. And, while you are here, you can learn all you need to know.

I recommend the consulate in Vancouver if you are in the area; I have used them for years and they are very helpful. Never tried Ottawa.

Feel free to send a PM for any questions.

cheers

This link might help:

Follow instructions to a "T"... pay money and have a self addressed padded envelope so they can send back to you.... (unless you arrange pickup)

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consulate/documents/forms/visa-form.pdf

I did mine back in 2007, once paperwork was together, RCMP check, bank info, etc... just drop at 1040 Burrard Street Vancouver (assuming you are in the west.)

It was done same day I applied and sent returned by mail. (I lived in Victoria)

They were very helpful at Vancouver Consulate... they checked documents before accepting them... seems to me my bank screwed up on something which needed to be corrected, other than that it was smooth sailing .... It took RCMP a couple of hours, to do police check... RCMP headquarters in 41st and Cambie area if I remember.

All seems daunting, but follow instructions it not so bad!wink.png

This link might help:

Follow instructions to a "T"... pay money and have a self addressed padded envelope so they can send back to you.... (unless you arrange pickup)

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consulate/documents/forms/visa-form.pdf

I did mine back in 2007, once paperwork was together, RCMP check, bank info, etc... just drop at 1040 Burrard Street Vancouver (assuming you are in the west.)

It was done same day I applied and sent returned by mail. (I lived in Victoria)

They were very helpful at Vancouver Consulate... they checked documents before accepting them... seems to me my bank screwed up on something which needed to be corrected, other than that it was smooth sailing .... It took RCMP a couple of hours, to do police check... RCMP headquarters in 41st and Cambie area if I remember.

All seems daunting, but follow instructions it not so bad!wink.png

To update Samui Jimmy's post.

I have been in contact with the consulate recently. the process for the O-A takes 7 working days now. further, I am not certain but I think the RCMP takes 3 days.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Edited by ubonjoe
Moved posted info to quote
  • Like 1

Thank you all for providing such thoughtful replies. The fog is gone. Nice to know that there are so many helpful folks around. I hope I can do the same for some of you in the future.

Warm Regards, Randy

• Like 1

Don't know if you can still get the Non Oa from the Toronto Consulate, but you used to be able to. You needed a letter showing you had no Criminal Record (obtained from your local police office), a medical certificate, and proof of funds.

Don't know if you can still get the Non Oa from the Toronto Consulate, but you used to be able to. You needed a letter showing you had no Criminal Record (obtained from your local police office), a medical certificate, and proof of funds.

Honorary consulates, as of a few years ago, can no longer issue O-A visas.

From the Toronto website:

One-Year O-A Visa for Retirees

*Please note: All O-A Visa applications must be submitted to the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa.

Half right. As has been said, O-A's can also be obtained from the other official Thai Consulate in Canada, i.e., Vancouver.

You can apply for a non-oa visa at the embassy in Ottawa or the official consulate in Vancouver. It will be issued as a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year and can be stretched to a total stay of two years. Requirements are here on the embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa-temporary-residents

You could also get a single entry non-o visa that would allow a 90 day entry that can be extended at a immigration office here for one year. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. You could get the non-o visa at one of the honorary consensulaes listed here: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/obtaining-visa-canada

Non "O" not available in the Thai Embassy in Ottawa or officlail consukatle in Vancouver. Only the O-A.

I confirm the posting as a close friend went in Ottawa a few moths ago and they only issue non O-A.

As the above posting mention, better go to an honorary consulate.for the non "O" . When you get the non "O" it as easy to extend it in Thailand to a retirement extension. If you show your non "O" visa ,it is also easier to open a local bank account.

Great that ubonjoe even know about the subtleties of the Thai Embassy and honorary consulate in Canada. Impressive.