Jomtien Beach Sidewalk Death Traps Being Repaired

Gold Star

Hundreds of chairs and practically nobody sits in them. Why would a Thai go thru all that unnecessary work?...

Then they have to use the beach as a warehouse in the nighttime to stack all those unused chairs. Really attractive. At least the stray dogs have something to piss on.

I say, set up a chair/umbrella, only when a customer requests and take all that crummy shit home after sundown.

Looks like a slum.

You got it wrong. Years ago it was fine and more recently they fixed it up in an inferior way, so they could get regular repair contracts after each heavy rain.

Just like Pattaya front.

The Beach side of the street is being made safer by filling in the square sidewalk pit traps with palms.

If only they could focus some attention to make the other side of Beach Road safer as well, where in one location, the sheer weight of the mass number of cables was too much for the cable supports to bear, and they failed.

Business signs and awnings were crushed, and the mass of live and dead wires crashed to the sidewalk. Hope nobody was injured.

Bill Gates recent observation and comments on the state of infrastructure come to mind.

post-259720-0-38715400-1468121039_thumb.

post-259720-0-67489900-1468121098_thumb.

Thanks Kwan. I do not see any way to rotate a pic once you are inside ThaiVisa's system. As an aside, I walked out this morning and stood in front of one of the last remaining old-growth shade trees, looking at the damage in disbelief. A Cambodian worker walked by. I pointed at the tree and gave the universal "that is crazy" sign. She agreed :) I think there are very few people on the planet who would share the twisted, short-sighted thinking that is underpinning the FUBAR decision to slaughter the old-growth trees that once made the beaches in this area unique and beautiful. It is as though they want to turn the place into a desert, with no shade at all. Ironically, people who live in deserts would give anything to have the trees that the Thais are destroying. Unfortunately for Thais, it is almost a truism that when you mess with nature, nature messes back!

If the trees haven't been cut to the ground leaving only a stump then this is the City's and contractor's idea of tree trimming. They did the same thing at Dongtan beach over a year ago to the anger and dismay of the beach goers. Supposedly so the security cameras can do their job, what bs.

It looks like they may have trimmed them. Maybe they will not kill them completely. Unfortunately, as both of us know, trimming trees the way they are doing it invites disease, weakens the tree, and often leads to death. What they are doing is totally against the concept of "sustainability." The entire project is ugly to me, but I remember how beautiful it was in the past before the tree massacre.

Archived