Happy ending of hostage-taking drama in Chanthaburi’s Tesco Lotus

webfact

Remember reading some years ago in Bangkok Post this Thai mother in Bangkok had been arrested for pimping her little daughter, think the little girl was age about 11, and mum had been selling her for sex to Thai men for some time before she got arrested. Anyway, the mother said she was poor and the only way she could make some money was to sell her daughter for sex. It was decided by the authorities to treat mum with compassion, so they donated money and some luxury items. Charges were dropped.

This speaks a lot for Thai mentality when it comes to violence when you don't get what you want. Here we have a grandmother putting a knife to her grandsons throat in an act if anger over his wanting a tablet. Rather than just refusing the kid and examining they don't have enough money. A knife to his throat was her answer. Her punishment, a free tablet for the boy and a free ride home. Any thia reading this article would instantly see that this lady used threats of violence to get what she wanted and was rewarded for her efforts instead of punished. Thus, encouraging others to do the same. And now this kid will grow up remembering how his grandmother got his first tablet. I know Thai culture and Buddhism encourages people to do things like the mayor did. But what about the impact this will have on society and that little boy in the future? That grandmother needs psychiatric help and that boy needs to be taken far away from her. What will she do when he wants his first motorcycle? It's sad to think this type of behavior is rewarded.

I guess you'd prefer the American way - police come into the store with weapons drawn, shoot the grandmother and if anyone else gets hit in the hit of the moment - no big deal.

The Thai way in such cases is to try to resolve the issue without violence, and by showing compassion to people. It doesn't mean that tomorrow every Thai person will take their kids to the local store and aim a knife to their necks in order to get something. Thai people CAN see the difference and I think most Thais would appraise the Mayor for his actions, not condemn him

...no way of speaking like that on TV you blasphemer! bah.gif

Starting at 6 o'klock in the morning, before their tea or coffee, try to understand here some distinguished members need their daily dose of Thai bashing exercise, in the same way some would do their daily morning footing. You should know it is not a chronique disease of embitered old fossils as I thought before, it could be a way to stay fit nothing more. (After being cuckoled or ruined? I could not answer maybe just their own nature?)

Whatever the subjects, they will find a way, for with years of practise on TV it becamed vocational. Also some learn quickly (shoeblacks)

Yes in the US of A, as you said with acrimony, probably the police officers, would have screamed drop the knife, drop the <deleted> knife now.

Then within a minute fortunately they would have overcomed the crazed lady with a few dozen of bullets, every officer present would have legitimately opened fire in the same time because she "refused" to drop the knife, and by doing so saving the poor boy's life...rolleyes.gif

but...unlike you... all distinguished members would have applauded...clap2.gif (did not she deserved the dead penalty anyway?)

one way to get free stuff in Thailand. Funny, I called my wife the 'B' word and she called police and I was charged with domestic violence. In the USA.

So will this result in a wave of mums wanting ps4's, xboxes and other stuff plus a ride home for free?

Very difficult case. Most people here are judging this from their Western perspective. However, the Thai way to me is preferable than what would happen in the West. Had this been the US a swat team would have been sent and there may have been a death- all in the interest of 'saving' the child. At the very least the woman would have been arrested and the child become a ward of the court and end up in the foster care system. At this point you would have a child without a family guardian and a woman who probably needs counselling in prison. And to what gain?

the Thai way probably saved 2 lives. It may appear that the grandmother needs counselling or some type of intervention. That is not available in Thailand unless one is wealthy and educated. The mayor did something to solve the immediate situation and now the Thai grandmother will think about her actions and hopefully recognize she needs to ask some assistance within the family. The grandmother may have been at wits end financially and trying her best to take care of her grandson. There are so many cases in Thailand where the burden of raising a son or daughter's children fall upon the grandparents who are already worn out from raising their own children. I don't know what the future holds for the boy or the grandmother but I do know no one is dead and the child still has a chance to grow up. The only thing in life you can hope for is a chance.

This speaks a lot for Thai mentality when it comes to violence when you don't get what you want. Here we have a grandmother putting a knife to her grandsons throat in an act if anger over his wanting a tablet. Rather than just refusing the kid and examining they don't have enough money. A knife to his throat was her answer. Her punishment, a free tablet for the boy and a free ride home. Any thia reading this article would instantly see that this lady used threats of violence to get what she wanted and was rewarded for her efforts instead of punished. Thus, encouraging others to do the same. And now this kid will grow up remembering how his grandmother got his first tablet. I know Thai culture and Buddhism encourages people to do things like the mayor did. But what about the impact this will have on society and that little boy in the future? That grandmother needs psychiatric help and that boy needs to be taken far away from her. What will she do when he wants his first motorcycle? It's sad to think this type of behavior is rewarded.

I guess you'd prefer the American way - police come into the store with weapons drawn, shoot the grandmother and if anyone else gets hit in the hit of the moment - no big deal.

The Thai way in such cases is to try to resolve the issue without violence, and by showing compassion to people. It doesn't mean that tomorrow every Thai person will take their kids to the local store and aim a knife to their necks in order to get something. Thai people CAN see the difference and I think most Thais would appraise the Mayor for his actions, not condemn him

Ah ... finally, a different note. Thank you LukKrueng ... I read the 14 posts before yours thinking : and here they are, all these cocksure Westerners, saying the mayor shouldn't have done this, the grandma should do that and describing the kid's future, as if they had some deep and thorough understanding of the country they live in.

What they all have, and it's true of most TVF posters, is preconceived judgments, an endless dose of contempt for Asia and Asians, and a formidable arrogance based on the notion that Western culture somehow knows it all and already proved to the rest of the world how superior it is.

Well, Western 'culture' certainly succeeded in :

- destroying a myriad of other cultures,

- colonizing economically and financially countries they had previously invaded politically, and then pretended to leave,

- producing the most dangerous weapons in the history of humanity,

- replacing the old Gods with one single new one called Money,

- creating gadgets that turn people's brain into a well of emptiness, littered with dissatisfaction,

- converting the planet into a foggy, sick and ravaged old dog,

- making real culture sound boring and replace it with Mickey Mouse, Mc Donald and Starbucks, etc.

Not exactly a high horse to be riding on ...

Edited by Yann55

Very difficult case. Most people here are judging this from their Western perspective. However, the Thai way to me is preferable than what would happen in the West. Had this been the US a swat team would have been sent and there may have been a death- all in the interest of 'saving' the child. At the very least the woman would have been arrested and the child become a ward of the court and end up in the foster care system. At this point you would have a child without a family guardian and a woman who probably needs counselling in prison. And to what gain?

the Thai way probably saved 2 lives. It may appear that the grandmother needs counselling or some type of intervention. That is not available in Thailand unless one is wealthy and educated. The mayor did something to solve the immediate situation and now the Thai grandmother will think about her actions and hopefully recognize she needs to ask some assistance within the family. The grandmother may have been at wits end financially and trying her best to take care of her grandson. There are so many cases in Thailand where the burden of raising a son or daughter's children fall upon the grandparents who are already worn out from raising their own children. I don't know what the future holds for the boy or the grandmother but I do know no one is dead and the child still has a chance to grow up. The only thing in life you can hope for is a chance.

All these assumptions about what might have happened in the USA, apart from being way off topic and oddly similar, are nonsense.

Can't blame the kid for wanting a tablet when all the bigger kids have one. The problem is his age; at 8yo he wouldn't have been in school when Yingluk gave tablets to every (school) child in Thailand. Oh wait, I forgot..........

Ah ... finally, a different note. Thank you LukKrueng ... I read the 14 posts before yours thinking : and here they are, all these cocksure Westerners, saying the mayor shouldn't have done this, the grandma should do that and describing the kid's future, as if they had some deep and thorough understanding of the country they live in.

What they all have, and it's true of most TVF posters, is preconceived judgments, an endless dose of contempt for Asia and Asians, and a formidable arrogance based on the notion that Western culture somehow knows it all and already proved to the rest of the world how superior it is.

Well, Western 'culture' certainly succeeded in :

- destroying a myriad of other cultures,

- colonizing economically and financially countries they had previously invaded politically, and then pretended to leave,

- producing the most dangerous weapons in the history of humanity,

- replacing the old Gods with one single new one called Money,

- creating gadgets that turn people's brain into a well of emptiness, littered with dissatisfaction,

- converting the planet into a foggy, sick and ravaged old dog,

- making real culture sound boring and replace it with Mickey Mouse, Mc Donald and Starbucks, etc.

Not exactly a high horse to be riding on ...

There is much food for thought in that post.

First rule of Somchaism.....

Flip flops, jeans & a canvas Jacket with the word 'gynaecologist' stitched on the back is standard street wear whilst riding ones Honda wave motorcycle taxi?

Amateur gynaecology is an interesting and rewarding hobby that I've pursued for many years. I still don't know that much about them, but I'm usually willing to take a look.

Flip flops, jeans & a canvas Jacket with the word 'gynaecologist' stitched on the back is standard street wear whilst riding ones Honda wave motorcycle taxi?

whoops

Edited by halloween

Amateur gynaecology is an interesting and rewarding hobby that I've pursued for many years. I still don't know that much about them, but I'm usually willing to take a look.

You wouldn't want to take up the hobby down at the mango farm, the sights and smells would be nauseating to say the least.

Yikes.

"After the drama was over, the mayor bought a tablet for the boy and took both the grandmother and the boy back to their home in Tambon Tha Chang, Muang district."

Where she then stuck a knife in the brats neck.

Edited by NCC1701A

What is the matter with me ?? Am I the only person that thinks it is wrong to report this shit ??

I must be addled in the brain, it does not equate with the humanity behind the whole episode when it exposed to this kind of scrutiny.

I guess I really am yesterdays man, it made me truly truly sad.