What's a PCX like in the mountains?

AllanB

Depends on how heavy you are, how steep the roads and your load. Much better on something around 250cc that has better brakes and suspension. It would certainly be more fun than on a PCX!

Study the Phuket and Samui accident reports from the "hills".

Rear drum brakes?

To me it looks like a typical boulevard cruiser not a thing for the hills and the mud.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I been riding one on the mighty mountains on Phuket 2up one more than one occasion and it was fine but I would think its a bad idea for the Himalayasbiggrin.png

The PCX is more versatile than many thinks, there was one here on TV that went all the way to Singapore and back on one.

I have the first-gen PCX and have taken it up north multiple times through mountains. Up Doi Inthanon as well. With myself (80kg) and my gear (maybe 7 kg?), it's slow going on the steepest bits, but it can be done without getting the sense that I'm thrashing the bike. I've never had a problem with the engine or brakes overheating in either direction.

That said, doing it 2-up is another matter, and I think that unless you and your pillion are real lightweights, you might be better off with a Forza 300or Burgman 200.

I researched bikes quite a bit before buying a Phantom, and heard a few complaints from my wife's relatives and also foreigners about the PCX stalling on steep hills when loaded heavy. While it's not a scooter, the Phantom is really a great mountain bike from my experience. I can't say it's a perfect bike for the long, straight high speed roads in the low lands though.

If you want to get to the top and back down just go for it. Forget all this stuff about gears,suspension?

Not very helpful.

And your suggested solution/alternative is.............

yes..."just go for it."

farang tink tooo mut.

I have done a lot on my PCX, mountains and some off road included, if interested read the trip report pasted below.

I had front brake failure too many times in the mountains. In the end i changed disc, pads and brake fluid, that fixed it. Also i shredded the belt, which i changed on the trip, this was maybe due to being overweight. Me and full luggage would bottom out on some rough roads. But great fun and it went wherever i went!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797874-small-motorbikes-and-travel-in-thailand-with-photos/

Sorry a bit off topic but has anyone put a different 'type' of tyre on the rear of a PCX..?

I don't like the stock tyre, plus it now needs changing.

Yes a few years ago I started with the PCX 125 and when the tyres needed replacing I had Michelin's fitted . I didn't like IRC that came with it , always felt I was going to drop the scoot in the rain. Upgraded to a PCX 150 a couple of years later and that wore Dunlop . Last year I upgraded to a Forza this too wears Dunlop .

I used a 125 cc kawasaki kmx to climb up to baguio, (philippines). My lady and two backpacks.

Never, ever again. At high elevations, in traffic, it overheated often. That was on top. Going up was painfully slow, and going down our brakes overheated. Swelled up and failed. It rained on the downhill run and we were stuck behind a slow moving truck.

Don't do it unless you have some power...and great brakes. My Yamaha Serow (225) was a bit better at climbing. With the 125, if you slow down on an incline, you never regain your momentum. The 225 maintained.

Edited by slipperylobster

If you mean mountain dirt type roads, then I would not think so, but if you mean ordinary surfaced roads in good condition with

steep hills, and bendy roads, then it is excellent.

Sorry Allan, I answered right away after reading the headline.

IMO, riding a 125cc with a passenger if both of you weigh about 120 Ks, yourself and a 40 K girl

then I think OK, but otherwise I would forget it.

Lots of advice on the PCX forums.

The cheapest solution looks like changing to the lighter rollers in the variator. .

The expensive option is changing cylinder, piston, cam, valves, exhaust, intake & ECU. ...then probably the cooling system too.

Make sure you change the tires to Michelin's! Terrible sliding if you hit any kind of moisture on the road! Not sure if this is a bike design issue or the cheap tires they use but Michelin's seems to correct it reasonably well, just please take extra care if you encounter rain, even a tiny amount.

Never had a problem with brakes overheating, just make sure you're using a good brand brake pad, not the 120 baht kind! Makes sense but check them anyway. I also modified my seat because Im tall to a straight seat (no curves) and the extra padding they needed to use makes it a real comfy ride now smile.png

I just realize your using a 125, 150 would be better for sure! Even 150 is not quite enough for mountains but it is a nice bike to ride long distances.

BTW I still think you are insane to ride a bike in Thailand but I know you're gonna do it anyway, hence the advice smile.png
Take care! smile.png

Edited by pogal