Brexit turmoil takes toll on main parties as leadership race ignites

webfact

Brexit turmoil takes toll on main parties as leadership race ignites

606x341_337451.jpg

LONDON: -- “One of the reasons why we should keep our options open is: yes, the referendum express the will of the people, but the will of the people is entitled to change.”

The devil is in the detail says Tony Blair kicking off another round in the battle to paint Britain post-Brexit.

The former UK prime minister says parliament should only vote once a deal is on the table.

Sentiments seemingly shared by Britain’s Home Secretary, Theresa May, who also voted to remain in the European Union. May, now favourite to take the country’s top job, says there’s no rush to start divorce proceedings.

“I’ve said that we shouldn’t invoke Article 50 immediately. It shouldn’t be before the end of the year,” she told Robert Peston’s ITV Sunday show. “We need to establish our own negotiating position. What’s important for us though is that we get the right deal. And that’s a deal which is about controlling free movement but it’s also about ensuring that we’ve got the best deal possible in trading goods and services.”

May’s main challenge is now likely to come from Brexit campaigner and fellow conservative Andrea Leadsome who’s expected to officially launch her leadership bid on Monday.

Her entrance into the contest relegates Britain’s justice minister Michael Gove even further down the rankings with the bookies at least after his threw his hat in the ring to prevent Boris Johnson, the very public face of the Brexit campaign.

Meanwhile, Britain’s opposition remains in disarray with the overwhelming majority of Labour MPs urging their leader Jeremy Corbyn to go. He’s offered peace talks in a bid to quell demands for his resignation but refuses to budge because he says he has popular support.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-04

Anything that Tony Blair says, is surely for the establishment and not for the benefit of the people. He should be arrested as a war criminal. The man is a disgrace to the working classes and it is him solely that dragged labour away from its roots. he will say and do anything to do the bidding of those pesky bankers. The man can't be trusted, period.

Anything that Tony Blair says, is surely for the establishment and not for the benefit of the people. He should be arrested as a war criminal. The man is a disgrace to the working classes and it is him solely that dragged labour away from its roots. he will say and do anything to do the bidding of those pesky bankers. The man can't be trusted, period.

Hindsight is a great thing. If there'd been WMDs this guy would be feted as a hero. I can't stand the Labour party and I'm not over-fond of Tony Blair but I'm convinced that he thought he was making the correct decision at the time. I suppose all those calling for him to be tried as a war criminal have never put a foot wrong in their life. I'd like to see them walk a mile in the PM's shoes.

Ok, he didn't have a crystal ball and it looks like it was a bad decision,but I'd like to see most criticism aimed at the nutters, who were handed a golden opportunity to put their country right post Sadam, but as usual chose to tear lumps off each other instead.

Strange breed us Brits, we seem to enjoy flailing ourselves alive.

Edited by jesimps

Hindsight is a great thing. If there'd been WMDs this guy would be feted as a hero. I can't stand the Labour party and I'm not over-fond of Tony Blair but I'm convinced that he thought he was making the correct decision at the time. I suppose all those calling for him to be tried as a war criminal have never put a foot wrong in their life. I'd like to see them walk a mile in the PM's shoes.

Ok, he didn't have a crystal ball and it looks like it was a bad decision,but I'd like to see most criticism aimed at the nutters, who were handed a golden opportunity to put their country right post Sadam, but as usual chose to tear lumps off each other instead.

Yeah the WMD's thing always confuses me, l saw a BBC program on England's Porton Down and if chemical warfare in the form of gas ain't a WMD l don't get it.

Saddam gassed Kurd's in the North did he not. blink.png

So Farage resigns as leader of UKip. The plot thickens! Just been announced that Nigel's main donor has now swung behind Andrea Leadsom. You have to wonder what dark deeds have been done behind closed doors again? Leadsom famously did a complete U-turn over the referendum going from passionately remain to passionately leave.

Of course Farage isn't even an MP (at the moment) but one wonders why he would choose now to step down if not to come back in new guise?

In the meantime he abandons all his UKip supporters. Maybe they will now re-invent themselves with sensible policies that would make their candidates electable?

This is becoming the most riveting pot boiler of all time, even more bizarre than Trump and Clinton

The problem with Tony Blair was that he deliberately lied along with Bush. They knew they were lying and therefore should face the consequences of that. Naivety you can forgive (to a point) but you cannot forgive bare faced lying when hundreds of thousand of innocent people died and their actions completely de-stabilised the whole area.

"the will of the people is entitled to change."

Politicians are not concerned with what an opinion poll (that is what it was) way back in history said.

Todays poll is what matters, not last weeks/months/years.

“Politics are not a science based on logic; they are the capacity of always choosing at each instant, in constantly changing situations, the least harmful, the most useful."

"Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable - the art of the next best."

Otto Von Bismarck

Edited by Enoon

I though Tony Blair was originally accused of war crimes because of this,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/apr/24/balkans3

Authorizing the bombing of a civilian target in Belgrade, contrary to the Geneva convention.

In the meantime he abandons all his UKip supporters. Maybe they will now re-invent themselves with sensible policies that would make their candidates electable?

They are already more electable than the SNP, it's just the system in England is rigged against them.

Edited by MissAndry

Yeah the WMD's thing always confuses me, l saw a BBC program on England's Porton Down and if chemical warfare in the form of gas ain't a WMD l don't get it.

Saddam gassed Kurd's in the North did he not. blink.png

Gasing people don't count as WMD as there's no property damage, so it's oksad.png