Chinese nominee tour company blitz in Phuket nets 53 tour buses, 29 speedboats

webfact

Tranlee Travel assets seized in Phuket, Phang Nga raids
Phuket Gazette

travel.jpeg
Deputy National Police Commissioner Srivara Ransibhramanakul reveals the extent of investigations into 17 companies under the Tranlee Travel Co Ltd umbrella. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Investigators have seized buses, boats, land and millions of baht as they delve deep into the operations of Phuket-based tour operator Tranlee Travel Co Ltd.

Three teams of police simultaneously seized 33 boats and 57 buses in Phuket yesterday. They also raided Racha Spa Co Ltd, located in Phuket Villa 5 housing estate in Chalong. Police believe documents found there will reveal a paper trail of money being siphoned out of the country by the company.

Police pressed charges of 'hiding procedures for the purpose of criminal activity', while they continue to investigate the company's other activities.

“Tourists will not be affected by the seizures as there are plenty of vehicles still available for them from other operators,” said Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teeraphol Thipjaroen, who led this morning’s raids in Phuket.

Deputy National Police Commissioner Srivara Ransibhramanakul warned on Tuesday that other such companies found to have been established illegally face similar fates, as investigations continued to turn up Tranlee Travel assets in Phuket and Phang Nga.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tranlee-Travel-assets-seized-Phuket-Phang-Nga/64178?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-07-07

Great job for once, took them long enough though since they first raided Tranlee....

So- let me get this straight- clamping down on naughty Chinese tour companies- GOOD.

Clamping down on naughty (predominately white) foreigners breaking the law by renting out condos- BAD.

You should check out the indignation about foreigners being picked on in the other thread!

EDIT: Personally i am quite happy with both actions.

Both are bad for foreign investment, and the tourism industry.

Not true. Adhering to the law is good for the tourist industry.

It's the selective enforcement that lets it down.

A blind eye to bars and nightclubs open after 2am, and all the prostitution etc etc, yet, a crackdown on a nominee company catering for the largest tourist market now coming to Phuket.

Thailand's corporate laws don't lend themselves well to attracting foreign investment. It mainly is / was the lack of enforcement that allowed it.

If they were to start seriously enforcing nominee companies, how many foreigners would lose their properties here? What would that do to foreign investment in the property industry here?

Thailand needs to start moving with the times. Their old outdated ways are holding the country back.

Edited by NamKangMan

So- let me get this straight- clamping down on naughty Chinese tour companies- GOOD.

Clamping down on naughty (predominately white) foreigners breaking the law by renting out condos- BAD.

You should check out the indignation about foreigners being picked on in the other thread!

EDIT: Personally i am quite happy with both actions.

Both are bad for foreign investment, and the tourism industry.

Not true. Adhering to the law is good for the tourist industry.

It's the selective enforcement that lets it down.

A blind eye to bars and nightclubs open after 2am, and all the prostitution etc etc, yet, a crackdown on a nominee company catering for the largest tourist market now coming to Phuket.

Thailand's corporate laws don't lend themselves well to attracting foreign investment. It mainly is / was the lack of enforcement that allowed it.

If they were to start seriously enforcing nominee companies, how many foreigners would lose their properties here? What would that do to foreign investment in the property industry here?

Thailand needs to start moving with the times. Their old outdated ways are holding the country back.

This is much more than 'a crackdown on a nominee company'. And that's my last reply to you here.

@ stevenl

Yes, there's a lot more to this raid than meets the eye. Obviously, there is some corruption involved.

If they don't let the Chinese make a few baht, they will go elsewhere, and take their tourists with them.

The Chinese will not "float" the business (no pun intended) with overseas funding, like foreigners do, to remain here and enjoy the lifestyle. The Chinese will walk away.

Can Phuket afford to lose ANY tourists at the moment?

...really...isn't this just another scam against hapless foreigners that are trying to comply with the law...

....wish the governments would get involved....

Complying with the law with fake ID cards?

These companies are not complying with any laws.

-------------------

Agreed. In fact they are violating the law by appointing Chinese "nominees" to run a business reserved for Thais.

Complying with the law with fake ID cards?

These companies are not complying with any laws.

-------------------

Agreed. In fact they are violating the law by appointing Chinese "nominees" to run a business reserved for Thais.

The term "nominee" in this context refers to Thais that have been designated as shareholders (owners) of the business, but really have nothing to do with the business. They don't cast their own votes and they didn't contribute any capital. They're simply Thai names on the incorporation documents for the purpose of getting around a legal requirement that majority ownership must be of Thai nationality. The people who really control and fund the company are foreigners. In this case, Chinese.

The company may have Thai employees, but the ownership has been setup illegally by foreigners through Thai nominees.

Police swoop on billion baht Chinese nominee tour business in Phuket

509_Phuket-wpcf_728x410.jpg

PHUKET: -- A combined force of over 100 government authorities yesterday swooped on a Chinese nominee business establishment with a large network covering almost all business related to tourism, transport, hotel, spa, restaurant in Phuket after investigation indicating it might be involved in money laundering and tax evasion.

The simultaneous swoop at three places owned by Tranlee business empire was directed and supervised by Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner Pol Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul.

Over 100 tour buses, speedboats belonging to the company and its dozens of affiliates were impounded for checks.

But authorities assured that the impounding of these buses and boats would not affect tourists already booked tour packages via its affiliates as they could still hire buses from other operators to provide services to the tourists.

The swoops at three locations in Phuket were conducted by local police, tourist police, soldiers, naval officers, and anti-money-laundering officials.

A total of 29 boats and 53 buses belonging to companies operating under the Tranlee Travel Co Ltd’s network of businesses in raids at Rassada and Koh Siray, on the east side of Phuket town, were seized.

The first target swooped in by authorities was at the Insee Marine Co Ltd’s private company pier located near the bridge joining Koh Siray to the mainland. At here 29 tour speedboats anchored at the pier were seized.

The second target was at the offices of T.L. Better Way Co Ltd at Koh Sirey, which provided bus services for tourists, 53 buses were seized.

The third target group was at Racha Spa Co Ltd at Phuket Villa 5 where authorities seized all documents, including registration licenses and accounting records.

The raids followed Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul announced that five affiliates operating under Tranlee Travel Co Ltd were ordered closed after Trailer headoffice was shut down after police said last month.

According to Pol Gen Srivara, Tranlee chief executive Kritchakorn Rungmongkolnam, or Mr Isam Saingsee turned himself in yesterday after officials had a warrant out for him and raided his company.

But he said his partner, Weerachai Kampaipraphankul, wanted by police on many charges is still at large.

However police believed he is still hiding somewhere in the Kingdom.

In the June 16 raid, Phuket deputy police chief Pol Col Saman Chainarong said that “Kritchakorn” (Isam Saingsee) and “Weerachai” were foreigners who had both illegitimately obtained Thai national identification cards in Northern Thailand.

The warrants issued for both men accuse them of staying in Thailand illegally, possession and use of fake identification and using fake identification documents to register tourism businesses.

Pol Gen Sriava said that six companies operating in the Tranlee network – including Tranlee Travel Co Ltd – had been shut down, but declined to name them specifically.

But he listed 17 companies that form Tranlee’s network as Tranlee Travel, Yang Guang Co Ltd, Manta Marine, Phuket Ping Friend, Meili Co Ltd, Blue Haven Diving Centre, Kenya and Fae International, Thailee Import, T.L Better Way, Insee Marine, Blue Wave Resort, Bluebay Resort, Natural Bay Resort, Venice Sea View, Racha Spa, Sabunnga Spa, and Zean Shabu Shabu.

He said Tranlee’s network includes tour companies, accommodation businesses, tour guides, restaurants, shops and spas.

He said although these companies were registered, but did not declare actual income to the Revenue Department.

Pol Gen Sriava said he has ordered officials to strictly enforce the law and anyone found in connection to this case, no matter they be former politician or an influential person, they would be investigated and punished accordingly by laws.

So far officials had seized assets including 117 vehicles, 35 boats and three plots of lands, amounting to almost a billion baht, he indicated.

He cited examples of law violation by one of its company saying officials have found 21 illegal tour guides, four boats fitted with a radio communication system without a permit, two buses fitted with the incorrect engines and drivers dressed inappropriately for conducting tours.

Authorities would also follow its money trail.

The Anti Money Laundering Office (Amlo) is investigating to find out where the money went and how can it was sent out of the country, he said.

He also warned Thai nationals who acted as nominee shareholders saying they could face charges reasoning that Phuket is a key target area prone for illegal nominee operation.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/171551-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-07

So don't you consider Chinese as foreigners then????

I do but recently had some (white) foreigners saying that the Thais only went after them and let the Chinese do what they wanted.

To me this seems like proof that is not the case.

Which bar was this in?

looks like the hole is really deep with network of

various tourism services.

well done the authorities.

but how did it happen and continued right under everyone's nose.

done by illegal immigrants on top of that.

must really study this and analyse the case study.

...too many scams against foreigners just trying to follow the rules....

...they get lied to deceived and cheated by locals....

...then they lose everything....

...and the local criminals simply walk away...to seek out more hapless foreigners...

...this is not right.....

My guess is that they paid for the ID card which is actually ok. Many foreigners that became Thai citizen made a large contribution between 1 - 10 million Baht.

If everyone investigates further they only charge 2 foreigners that became Thai but no Thai's are mentioned in the scam.

My guess those other nominees including the company sectretary and the Thai's that setup the company and provided the additional directors will be moving forward to take their place and the business will run just normal in a month or two months time.

...and the local criminals simply walk away...to seek out more hapless foreigners...

Its certainly not right but the farangs on TVF will love it because most hate Chinese from the mainland.

If you shut down a company it means a lot of people from mainland China will be stranded in Phuket. The local operator negotiates the room rates and it all comes to volume. If they had 53 buses and 29 speedboats you can be assured that they moved 2-3000 tourists per day within Phuket and they work with a very large outbound operator in China. As CITS is the largest outbound operator in China I suspect that CITS supplied the flights and package tours to the ground agent.

Its no rocket science that outbound operator anywhere in the world works with companies here in Thailand where management talks the same language. My guess this will backfire on Thailand but due to cheer jealousy of some local Thai's this whole case exploded.

I hope it is CITS thats behind because it is the Chinese Government and the Thais'should be careful to <snip> around with the Chinese and it would be more smart for the Thai's to go after the farangs as they have no economical clouds anymore on the Thai tourism industry.

Edited by MobileContent

I cannot believe some of the hogwash you guys contribute on here.

They had an illegally set up company, falsified immigration documents, operating illegally in two businesses restricted for Thais

and you are trying to defend them?????

Of course they would get dobbed in sooner than later

I would not want to be in the lawyer/accountants shoes

Its certainly not right but the farangs on TVF will love it because most hate Chinese from the mainland.

If you shut down a company it means a lot of people from mainland China will be stranded in Phuket. The local operator negotiates the room rates and it all comes to volume. If they had 53 buses and 29 speedboats you can be assured that they moved 2-3000 tourists per day within Phuket and they work with a very large outbound operator in China. As CITS is the largest outbound operator in China I suspect that CITS supplied the flights and package tours to the ground agent.

Its no rocket science that outbound operator anywhere in the world works with companies here in Thailand where management talks the same language. My guess this will backfire on Thailand but due to cheer jealousy of some local Thai's this whole case exploded.

I hope it is CITS thats behind because it is the Chinese Government and the Thais'should be careful to <snip> around with the Chinese and it would be more smart for the Thai's to go after the farangs as they have no economical clouds anymore on the Thai tourism industry.

I agree with your point.

Many tourism related businesses are just surviving on the zero baht Chinese tourism market here.

Take a large portion of the Chinese market off the island, and what market will replace those numbers?

Things will just go from bad to worse here.

If they do not let the Chinese make a few baht, they will not come here.

Now, many may be happy with that, but it will result in further business closures, and rising unemployment, pushing the island closer to "The Phuket Financial Crisis."

Edited by NamKangMan

Must be somebody, whos business is loosing out? Maybe somebody in uniform?

"somebody, whos business is loosing out" Be a man and name them,or, dont spread malicious rumours. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

I will say it "The BIB".

Must be somebody, whos business is loosing out? Maybe somebody in uniform?

"somebody, whos business is loosing out" Be a man and name them,or, dont spread malicious rumours. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

I will say it "The BIB".

There is no way i would defame the Thai Police on social media. I have great respect for them and the difficult job they are doing. Be wary, many news items about them checking websites