Swede faces trial in Oslo for sex with 13 year old Thai girl in Koh Samui

webfact

Swede faces trial in Oslo for sex with 13 year old Thai
by Gregers Møller

538366315_76567ff332_o.jpg
Go-go Bar, Lamai, Koh Samui. Copyright by Nicolai Bangsgaard

OSLO: -- A 34-year-old businessman from Sweden but living in Oslo faces trial in Norway for having had a sexual relation over several years with a Thai girl who was 13 years old when he first had sex with her.

According to the prosecution, he first met the girl when he bought her out of a go-go bar in Koh Samui in 2008. She didn’t speak a word of English, but he was told she was 16 years old. The sexual relationship continued over the coming years at least until 2011. At the age of 14 she became pregnant with his child. Since she gave birth to his child he has sent her around NOK 1,000 (USD 120) a month in child support.

According to the Norwegian state media, NRK, the man’s home was searched not because of the sexual offence but because he was involved in a drug case. Police found photographic sexual material including photos of the girl in Thailand in his computer and in cooperation with police in Thailand, Norwegian investigators found the girl and determined her age.

“This is a serious case,” says state prosecutor Asbjørg Lykkjen to Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) on Tuesday.

The trial will begin in an Oslo court this fall. He faces a 10-year-jail term if convicted.

The man has allegedly denied criminal liability.

Halldis Winje, the Norwegian attorney appointed to represent the girl, told NRK that In addition to the criminal charges filed against the man, he is seeking compensation on behalf of the girl and her family.

Source: http://scandasia.com/swede-faces-trial-in-oslo-for-sex-with-13-year-old-thai/

sca.jpeg
-- (c) Copyright Scandasia 2016-07-07

His conduct can't be justified, however you dress it up, but......the bar owner told/assured him she was 16, amd she may have looked 16, so it's difficult for him.

I suppose that pivotal to the prosecution will be whether he determined her actual age prior to her reaching legal age, and as he's been charged, I guess that's been established?

He's done the 'right' thing in supporting the child.

I don't understand the appetite some men have for young women, but if you fall in that category, and there is the slightest doubt, don't. Many countries now have laws under which you can be charged in your home/domiciled country for pedophile activity in a foreign country.

• Like 2

Seems the family should be worried more about there own miserable failings than compensation.The being child only exception.What are the chances the same bar owner is in charge

I once asked an attractive but young-looking bar girl how old she was. The answer was "How old do you want me to be?"

BTW note that the article mentioned "a go-go bar" in Lamai and not 'the Go-go Bar" in Lamai.

Edited by halloween
  • Like 2

I do not condone his behavior in any way, first off. I do wonder just how jurisdiction over crimes of this sort is rationalized. Shouldn't he be extradited to Thailand where the crimes took place? Say I were to smoke some pot in Oregon (my home state, pot is legal, and I don't smoke btw).... would it be acceptable for me to be prosecuted for that in Thailand? I recall in Pattaya some years ago big banner put up by US DEA "Do the crime here, spend prison time in USA" or something of that sort.

Them poor guys in Norway are subject to prosecution in Norway for buying sex anywhere on the planet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-norway-prostitution-idUSKBN0GB1BL20140811

The Norwegian law applies to all its citizens anywhere, making it illegal for Norwegians to buy sex even in countries where the activity is accepted.
Penalties for breaking the law are set by local municipalities. In Oslo, Norway's largest city, convicted sex buyers face a 25,000 crown ($4,000) fine.
  • Like 2

His conduct can't be justified, however you dress it up, but......the bar owner told/assured him she was 16, amd she may have looked 16, so it's difficult for him.

I suppose that pivotal to the prosecution will be whether he determined her actual age prior to her reaching legal age, and as he's been charged, I guess that's been established?

I don't understand the appetite some men have for young women, but if you fall in that category, and there is the slightest doubt, don't. Many countries now have laws under which you can be charged in your home/domiciled country for pedophile activity in a foreign country.

You think so? Do you think really, that 120 USD appr. 4000 Baht is enough for support? For support a young girl he fathered? He obviously did not value her and his baby. He wanted just his fun paying less as for any prostitute. Disgusting anyway. But that is the face of many farangs coming to Thailand....Hope he will have to pay compensation in the amount what is usual in his country.

I was under the impression that the legal age of consent here was 18. If so ... being told by the girl and bar owner that she was 16 is not much of a defence.

Actually it's 15 if the parents have given permission. Irrelevant in this case anyway as Norwegian law applies.