Phuket transport blitz nets 573 taxi, bus, tuk-tuk drivers, B7mn in fines

webfact

Phuket transport blitz nets 573 taxi, bus, tuk-tuk drivers, B7mn in fines
Eakkapop Thongtub

1467869369_1-org.jpg
The blitz netted hundreds of Phuket taxi and tuk-tuk drivers for no road tax or driving an unregistered vehicle. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A campaign spearheaded by the Director of the Land Transport Department (DLT) for the entire country has netted 573 Phuket public transport drivers breaking the law within just three days, and netting more than B7 million baht in fines in the process.

Checkpoints set up at five locations in Phuket from Sunday through Tuesday (July 3-5) saw 344 public transport drivers found operating public transport vehicles with expired road tax or worse, operating “unregistered” vehicles.

Each of these drivers was fined B20,000, netting the DLT a windfall of B6.88 million.

“The rest (229 drivers) were fined up to B10,000 each because they were found to be driving outside their designated routes without permission, having illegal modifications to their vehicles, such as adding air horns or spotlights, and using the incorrect vehicle to provide a regular-route service,” said DLT Director Sanit Promwong.

“All information of the public transport drivers who were stopped and fined were sent to the information centre at our office so if they are ever found of committing an offense under the Land Transport Act again, their license will be suspended or revoked,” he added.

The transport officials were stationed at the Tha Chatchai Checkpoint to check vehicles heading onto the island, and on the west coast road to check all taxis, buses and green-plated vehicles leaving Phuket International Airport.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-transport-blitz-nets-573-taxi-bus-tuk-tuk-drivers-b7mn-in-fines-58160.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-07

So what. They'll simply add more baht to their already extortionate fares to make up the shortfall. And again, I really don't see how their being registered or not makes a blind bit of difference to the public transport or lack thereof. Is there no Damrong The Destroyer they could appoint whose sole purpose would be to sort out this scourge one and for all instead of these half@rsed attempts at looking as if they're actually solving anything? How difficult would it be to implement a modern public bus system alike their 'twinned island' Penang? Pathetic.

"...Officials had no choice but to ramp up enforcement of public transport laws to solve many issues...causing damage to tourism."

“We have to be very strict on this in order for us to stop public transport operators from further damaging our tourism image...”

"Public transport drivers will also be held accountable for their behaviour." Thanks so much!

“...Drivers caught acting indecently will be arrested and have their license revoked immediately. Such behavior severely damages our tourism”

It's obvious that these clowns only care about the almighty Tourist Baht, not the laws and are no different than the thieving, irresponsible imbeciles they are chasing.

Officials had no choice? What a truely pathetic statement.

There have always been laws and law enforcers ( Thai style of course ).

Who have done nothing until Phuket took a tourist dive.

The chickens have come home to roost.

The writing is on the wall and the money grubbers are scared and desperate.

But in standard Thai fashion, "action" is taken after the horse has left the barn. Too late.

You reap what you sow.

Som nam naa

Tuk tuk taxis should not been parked in the streets.look at Patong streets are packed with them looks horrible.all of them claiming there spot and their rights.meter all tuk tuk and let them all be parked in one far away land area with some intercom system or ban them all and have small tourist busses riding up down surin till kata....very tourist friendly.the tuk tuk drivers can do another honest job.

So what. They'll simply add more baht to their already extortionate fares to make up the shortfall. And again, I really don't see how their being registered or not makes a blind bit of difference to the public transport or lack thereof. Is there no Damrong The Destroyer they could appoint whose sole purpose would be to sort out this scourge one and for all instead of these half@rsed attempts at looking as if they're actually solving anything? How difficult would it be to implement a modern public bus system alike their 'twinned island' Penang? Pathetic.

I concur.

Too little, too late.

The transport situation is beyond being able to be changed, on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

I would like to know if anyone actually pays there fines because the owners and

operators of theses vehicles don't seem to learn anything. whistling.gif

The police would not be normally be doing this with out the Army telling then to as it effects their personal income in bribes from each driver.

Better than nothing. Stop grumbling ALL the time

i concur- every time the authorities DO do something all we still seem to get here is negativity. This is not an insignificant amount of money and it would be nice (even though we know what will happen) if the momentum of this were maintained. 20k is not pocket change or the usual token fine.

I concur.

Too little, too late.

So, no future for your Baht Buses then? whistling.gif

I concur.

Too little, too late.

So, no future for your Baht Buses then? whistling.gif

You can take the p*ss out of me, but what will this change - absolutely nothing.

The criminal enterprise operating transport on Phuket needs to be dismantled.

They have turned away a big segment of the western tourist market in recent time, in lieu of Chinese package tourists in coach buses.

They are holding back the prosperity of Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

Better than nothing. Stop grumbling ALL the time

i concur- every time the authorities DO do something all we still seem to get here is negativity. This is not an insignificant amount of money and it would be nice (even though we know what will happen) if the momentum of this were maintained. 20k is not pocket change or the usual token fine.

I'm sure "The Association" is already negotiating with authorities, on behalf of its members.

Do you really think the drivers, who are just the money collectors for the association, otherwise known as the transport mafia, are going to pay????