Smoking in your car

Rayk

I have recently heard that it is currently illegal to smoke a cigarette in your own vehicle in Thailand.

I heard this from a guy I've known for quite a few years.

Has anyone else heard of this nonsense.

I checked the smoking laws in Thailand which were last updated on June 16th 2016 and there is no mention of such a silly law having been put in place.

?????

Edited by Rayk

I got fined one day on my way back from Kanchanaburi for having too much money in my wallet.

At least that was my conclusion when he let me go on my merry way after the amount in my wallet was reduced by 300 baht. No receipt, BTW.

Negotiated down from 500, so unfortunately, I'm still unclear on how much I'm actually allowed to keep in my wallet while driving.

Edited by impulse

Not one I've heard of either, I don't smoke but I did get a friendly warning at a police check, for driving without a shirt.

Moving to motoring.

So it's an issue to drive in your own car without a shirt on?

<deleted> is wrong with this place?

Dont think it's a smoking law, it's a driving law, no eating, drinking, smoking, on the phone etc. anything which can impede your driving.

Can you supply a link to this driving law or are you just making an assumption.

I'm curious myself, and would welcome a link to a definitive answer.

But from a practical standpoint, the risk of getting caught, multiplied by the consequences of being caught, would add only a small percentage to the cost of smoking- which would include faster depreciation of the car itself (not so trivial where cars cost out the wazoo) on top of the cost of the smokes.

It would be different if Thailand had a points system for drivers licenses where insurance rates went up and DL's could be revoked for too many infractions. But as it is, I'd fire up a butt and not worry about it too much. If I smoked.

Edited by impulse

In most Canadian provinces and Territories it is called the Distracted Driving Law. Covers cell fone use, and anything which draws your attention away from safely driving the car falls under this broad law. Can cover eating, applying makeup, texting, whatever. Many US states also have similar laws on the books.

In most Canadian provinces and Territories it is called the Distracted Driving Law. Covers cell fone use, and anything which draws your attention away from safely driving the car falls under this broad law. Can cover eating, applying makeup, texting, whatever. Many US states also have similar laws on the books.

I'm well aware of the smoking laws in Canada as I myself am a Canadian. But this topic isn't about the Distracted Driving Law in Canada or similar laws in the US, it's about Thailand which is 11000kms away from Canada and is not under Canadian or American jurisdiction.

By the way the Distracted driver law in Canada does not include smoking cigarettes.

Eh.

Edited by Rayk

Dont think it's a smoking law, it's a driving law, no eating, drinking, smoking, on the phone etc. anything which can impede your driving.

Nonsense, smoking in your car is allowed in Thailand. As are drinking, eating etc.

I have recently heard that it is currently illegal to smoke a cigarette in your own vehicle in Thailand.

I checked the smoking laws in Thailand which were last updated on June 16th 2016 and there is no mention of such a silly law having been put in place.

?????

Well, the number of times I get ash flicked out of the car window as I'm lane splitting on my motorcycle, this law is sure as hell not being enforced.

Nonsense, smoking in your car is allowed in Thailand. As are drinking, eating etc.

Except that drinking alcohol in any motor vehicle is forbidden not only for the driver but also for the passengers.

No beer on the bus might surprise some (smoking forbidden there too of course).

Except that drinking alcohol in any motor vehicle is forbidden not only for the driver but also for the passengers.

No beer on the bus might surprise some (smoking forbidden there too of course).

Now that one is true.

Not one I've heard of either, I don't smoke but I did get a friendly warning at a police check, for driving without a shirt.

Moving to motoring.

You may not show your nipples in Thailand, you could tape them with a band-aid, just don't use the transparent kind. This only applies to Farang nipples, as Thai nipples are completely exempt.

I do not know about Thailand, but in October last year the U.K. banned smoking in vehicles if there is an under 18 year old present in the vehicle.

( When I say U.K. I do not think it was implemented in Scotland )wink.png

Edited by AhFarangJa

Moving to motoring.

It actually is ILLEGAL and you can end up in a bit of trouble, crazy as it may seem.

http://www.eturbonews.com/8727/do-not-drive-shirtless-bangkok-and-do-not-pay-pennies-montreal

Edited by Generalchaos

Last time I heard, it was a $300 fine for using a mobile phone while driving in Australia. Car phones (hands free thingies) are permitted.

If they had a similar law in Thailand for motorcyclists, the income would solve any national debt problems!!

I got pulled over for having my lights on during the day in a car 100 b

When has this been? I even don't know how to turn off the daylight without turning on the stand light. Smoking in your car is not forbidden in Thailand but getting more difficult, as many new cars even don't have an ashtray and throwing a cigarette out of the car is littering (up to 2000 Baht if caught).

Keep your windows rolled up...make sure there are no non-smoking passengers and children in the car...

Chain smoking with a plastic bag over your head is most effective...coffee1.gif

Don't know about if Thailand have followed other countries, but Australia and recently the UK have both banned smoking in a car if there are children in it. With Australia a total ban of smoking in cars. The laws are based on health not driving, as the law, re children, applies even when the car engine is not running and parked.

I got fined one day on my way back from Kanchanaburi for having too much money in my wallet.

At least that was my conclusion when he let me go on my merry way after the amount in my wallet was reduced by 300 baht. No receipt, BTW.

Negotiated down from 500, so unfortunately, I'm still unclear on how much I'm actually allowed to keep in my wallet while driving.

That tickled me as I have also been fined for having a red face.

I heard there is such law in Dubai. They said if a miner is in the car and police stop you while smoking a cigarette you can be fined 300 000 dollar. Not sure if the amount is correct or not. But knowing the strict fine in Dubai this can be true. Also if you are expats in Dubai and you are stopped and you fail alkohol test you will be deported.

May be they started the same type of law in Thailand to protect miner in the car.

?????

Well, the number of times I get ash flicked out of the car window as I'm lane splitting on my motorcycle, this law is sure as hell not being enforced.

Be careful flies and mosquitoes too and don't drive during planting season. Second hand smoke from that's bad, plastic's and used motor oil's toxic as &lt;deleted&gt;. Most of all remember speed kills.

When i become King of the World and you want to blow your carcinogenic smoke at me,

i will pass a new law.

A smoking helmet must be worn by user

It was law many years ago so bring back that law again.

It's good to be king.

post-141778-1241_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozyjon