Video: Bangkok tuk-tuk and motorcycle in collusion over tourist scam?

rooster59

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These tourists can feel very lucky, that this robbery didnt end up in a deadly car crash.

Remember few years ago, this american mother who was walking around sukhumvit, when she was victim of thai thieves. Two thai scum on motorbike grabed her purse.

she felt down on the ground, her head hit the sidewalk. She died later at the hospital.......

The only place I would ever use a tuk tuk is in the North of Thailand,as in Chiang Mai,Udon Thani,Nong Khai etc.Why would you use one in Bangkok when a metered taxi is cheaper,air-conditioned and far more honest?

Becausssse tuktuks get through Bangkok traffic way faster and not as hairy as a bike. And they're FUN. Wish we had them on Fuckit. BTW, never had any problems with them in my 20 years here and of course the driver was simply 'wrist rolling'. So would you if you'd been driving one of these all day, seen it many times. Get a grip. You lot getting as bad/worse than those chinks you're so very keen to round upon.

So you're obviously a racist. Why do so many racists hang out in Thailand anyway?

In the US banks will put an exploding dye packet in with money when robbed, the thief cannot get the dye off and can be identified. Thai police should send out undercover officers with purses containing the exploding dye as bait. Once word gets around the robberies might decline, worth a shot

I don't find the video entirely convincing of collusion between the tuk tuk driver and the bag snatcher but...

I've lived here for nearly twenty years and particularly for the lower strata of locals, it's clearly getting economically tougher. Tourists, (especially the Chinese and Indian folks) don't spend as much as they used to and one can see the whole place becoming progresively meaner, nastier and grubbier.

There was a time when we routinely remarked on how peaceful and safe the place was and how generally good natured and fun loving the locals were. This has been replaced with horror stories and strategic cautions of where to go, not to go and how to manage oneself to avoid an event of unpleasantness.

The global economy is splintering because total debt has eclipsed total tertiary assets. The phenomena of societies becoming nastier, in particular to outsiders is also global. Until we've crashed and burned and new systems of exchange have been instigated, replacing Bretton Woods etc., we can expect societies to become uglier to the (hopefully not) extent, of even large scale international conflicts.

Prepare.

I doubt it is a coincidence.

It makes perfect sense for the tuk tuk driver and thieves to work together. It happens all the time, with touts and tuk tuk drivers, touts and silk sales men, the list goes on and on.

The hand signals appear to indicate something in my opinion. Thumbs up is not any gesture you see Thais using amongst them selves. or the other 'hand signal'.

Furthermore, if you look the driver brakes at just the right time as the motorcycle is coming in for the hit.

Having said that, why did the tuk tuk driver not see the tourist filming this? Was it not a mobile phone or something obviously filming? This is hard to explain away.

"Furthermore, if you look the driver brakes at just the right time as the motorcycle is coming in for the hit."

What? Now there is a complete Thaivisa poster fabrication. How do you know that the driver brakes? There is no evidence of that and you certainly cannot see the driver's right foot.

Don't need to see his feet, it is very clear in the video at 00:20 that he puts his brakes on. Look at the lights at the top.

attachicon.gifBrake.jpg

Golly, I was unaware that there was any connection between the various flashing multicoloured lights fitted to tuk tuks and any of the drivers controls!

They have always struck me as being totally random.

Come to think of it, so do most of the drivers' manoeuvres!

That's not a "tourist scam." It's a straight robbery. The moral of the story should be to always secure valuables when riding in a tuk tuk, not to make up some elaborate scheme between tuk tuk drivers and motorbike thiefs in Bangkok because a driver rolled his wrist. I do that all the time while driving, similar to rolling my neck to loosen it up.

Actually imho the moral of the story is : do not ride tuk tuks.

30 years ago when I first came to Thailand I tried that mode of transport because you just had to try, as a tourist. Once was enough. Been there done that, thank you very much.

Honestly, anyone with two cents of brain can figure out that the tuk-tuk combines all the inconvenients of the other two main modes of transport, taxis and motorbikes, and provides none of the advantages.

Inconvenients of motorbikes : you get smoked by the pollution like a hopeless peking duck, you get barbecued by the heat like a hopeless steak, and you have to put up with the tremendous level of noise.

Advantage : you reach your destination quickly.

Inconvenients of taxis : you're stuck in the traffic, many cars are unclean and smelly, many taxi drivers are near-lunatics, and many will try to cheat you, one way or another.

Advantage : You're not breathing the polluted air and it's relatively cool if the aircon works.

QED, I believe ... biggrin.png

Edited by Yann55