What days are 'Dry' (No Alcohol) next week?

On your ride, I'm sure you can find a "mom & pop" shop in the sticks who would be happy to sell you refreshments....

And this "law" does not apply to the minimarkets on Koh Samui or Koh Lanta either.

As all bar (supposed) owners do...get off your high horse

All bar owneres?? I speak for me nobody else.

Supposed ????

If following the rules of the (foreign) country I choose to live in is being on a high horse then I will stay up there and look down ??

Of that I never had a single doubt :-) as I said Mr High and mighty ...enjoy !!

Nuthouse??

Crazy proclamations???

You know you are in Thailand ? Two of the major Buddhist days , always no alcohol sales, as a bar owner I respect their culture/ religion. Maybe you should too ?

If it's "their culture" that non-Buddhists must follow Buddhist practices then that is a form of religious intolerance and no I do not respect that.

"...that is a form of religious intolerance and no I do not respect that."

No one is stopping you from drinking. Buy what you want ahead of time or visit the many places that will still sell booze. If you feel religiously suppressed by those onerous conditions, you're just trying to make an issue out of a non-event. Calling it religious intolerance is pure BS.

The intent of the booze ban is to stop everyone, Buddhists and non-Buddhists, from drinking. Just because it doesn't do a good job of that doesn't mean that it is more tolerant, it means that it's less effective.

Edited by BudRight

Dry days who cares about non alcohol days?

Not me, i have not had a drink for 30 months and dont miss it.

Why.?.

Either, no money or alcoholic. I guess. Anyway it is great if you can stop. Well Done.

Not necessarily. When I lived in the USA there was this constant barrage of newspaper stories about what was healthy and what was not. With one exception what was healthy would be not healthy a month or a year later and then healthy again the next year, etc.. The one exception was alcohol. Year after year for the last 30 years or more it was consistently reported that moderate drinkers lived longer than people who don't drink. I suppose they kept on doing studies on it because some people didn't want to believe it. I saw the latest study results a few months ago in one of the online papers I read.

Since I don't feeling like coming back to this thread, I'll summarize the arguments Suradit will make and why they're wrong.

1. The law is applied equally between Buddhists and non-Buddhists because it is fair. It's you who is advocating discrimination.

Laws applied equal between groups do not make those laws just (or tolerant), they only treat everyone unjustly.

2. There have been booze bans for decades in America and England. They have religious intolerance.

Yes, they do. They also have religious intolerance in Afghanistan and Thailand.

3. You're equating stoning to death adulterous women with not getting a beer!? You're warped.

I'm saying that both are forms of religious intolerance because that is their motivation. Their magnitudes are clearly not equal.

4. Thailand is run by Thais and they can make whatever laws they want.

I didn't say they can't make laws, I said they make unjust laws motivated by religious intolerance.

5. If you don't like it, go home!

If you said this to immigrants in any other country, you would rightly be thought of as a bigot. The same goes for Thailand.

Rather than go through all this trouble and debate, wouldn't it have been easier to;

1. Let people decide for themselves if they are Buddhist or not.

2. Let people choose to drink or not to drink guided by their own commitment to the Dhamma.

3. Allow business owners the choice of conforming to the beliefs of their Buddhist customers, or not.

Edited by BudRight

Nuthouse??

Crazy proclamations???

You know you are in Thailand ? Two of the major Buddhist days , always no alcohol sales, as a bar owner I respect their culture/ religion. Maybe you should too ?

Its still a nuthouse....

Yes. You should respect the culture. And if it is a nut house, it is sure an enjoyable one. Lived here for many years, wouldn't want to live anywhere else and don't intend to.

Supposed ????

If following the rules of the (foreign) country I choose to live in is being on a high horse then I will stay up there and look down ??

Pack in the Chang and get back on the Leo !

On the same subject - is Tuesday (19th) a government holiday, i.e. banks etc. closed, or just a religious festival?

Religious festival, Asahna Bucha, commemorating the Lord Buddha's first sermon following his enlightenment, given in a deer park in what is now known as Sarnath, in India.

Supposed ????

High and mighty ?????.

You still haven't explained the "supposed" bit

Of that I never had a single doubt :-) as I said Mr High and mighty ...enjoy !!

So, 19th is a holiday and 20th is or isn't?

I am usually in Thailand end of July and I usually hit these buddha days but they are 19th/20th instead then this year? (moon, I assume)

Jeez. One night off the piss won't kill you.

A pretty stupid and ignorant comment.

Speaking for myself, I usually go away to stay with friends on long 3-5 day weekend holidays like this. I buy a nice bottle of wine or two for us for each night, or two bottles of Single-Malt if there aren't wives present. Not that convenient to buy them here and put them into my motorcycle cases. Or to not find out if one needs to.

But obviously, when I say a comment is stupid and ignorant, I consider the source and all is clear. :)

I actually turn up on 20th July, are money changers open around main areas of Bangkok?

I was there for this buddhist holiday last year but can't remember ... I am assuming yes?

I have enough baht with me anyway but was planning on changing some more. It can wait if they're not

I actually turn up on 20th July, are money changers open around main areas of Bangkok?

I was there for this buddhist holiday last year but can't remember ... I am assuming yes?

I have enough baht with me anyway but was planning on changing some more. It can wait if they're not

Razzler1973, on 14 Jul 2016 - 02:17, said:

Is there an answer in there buddy? tongue.png

555, I typed it and don't know what happened.

Money changers will be open (likely all).

Major bank branches will be closed, but some smaller branches in shopping malls, airports, etc. may be open.

So, any more word on tomorrow (the 15th/FRI, "Nat'l No Alcohol Day") being a mandatory bar closure or not? (If mandatory, not finding much about it...) 'Thought I saw at least one barowner saying he'd been officially notified by police, but that's about it.

Edited by hawker9000

So, any more word on tomorrow (the 15th/FRI, "Nat'l No Alcohol Day") being a mandatory bar closure or not? (If mandatory, not finding much about it...) 'Thought I saw at least one barowner saying he'd been officially notified by police, but that's about it.

Apparently it is business as usual.

The owner of my local called the police and asked, and he was told he can open.

It is business as usual in Pathumthani, bars are open, but a friend of mine has told me that a close friend of his who owns 2 bars in Pattaya was told by the police to close tonight at midnight and not open again until Thursday.

but a friend of mine has told me that a close friend of his who owns 2 bars in Pattaya was told by the police to close tonight at midnight and not open again until Thursday.

A friend of a friend....

???

There is absolutely no indication that tommorow (Sunday 17) and Monday 18 are restricted.

Close on Monday midnight: yes.

19 and 20 are restricted.

Report from yesterday:

5 day holiday starts tonight prepare for terrible traffic, booze ban

Edited by KhunBENQ

Razzler1973, on 14 Jul 2016 - 02:17, said:

Is there an answer in there buddy? tongue.png

555, I typed it and don't know what happened.

Money changers will be open (likely all).

Major bank branches will be closed, but some smaller branches in shopping malls, airports, etc. may be open.

Much appreciated

I guessed money changers would be open but always nice to know ahead of time. I'll go ahead and light cigars with 1000 baht notes now I know this coffee1.gif

Some are confusing the long weekend, which goes Sat'y thru Wed, with the booze ban, which only applies to the actual Buddhist holidays, which are Tue & Wed. There were early closures in Pattaya last night having to do with today's Marathon, which kicked off (quite loudly) before dawn this morning.

Edited by hawker9000