Irish couple 'forced to live in Thailand' in adoption case lose home

webfact

Couple ‘forced to live in Thailand’ in adoption case lose home

Dublin couple claim they moved to country to look after their late son’s abandoned child

DUBLIN: -- A Dublin couple, who claim they have had to live in Thailand for several years in a bid to adopt their late son’s abandoned child, today lost their Dublin home in a bank re-possession case.

Judge Jacqueline Linnane heard in the Circuit Civil Court that in 2009 Christopher and Elizabeth O’Brien’s son died in Thailand, leaving his year-old child to the care of its Thai mother who had since abandoned it.

James P Evans, solicitor for the O’Briens, said the couple, who owe €117,000 mortgage arrears on their home at The Walk, Cypress Downs, Templeogue, Dublin, were not out of the jurisdiction for financial convenience.

“Their situation has come about due to the death of their son in Thailand in 2009 and whose one-year-old child was abandoned by its mother,” Mr Evans told the court.

Full story: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/couple-forced-to-live-in-thailand-in-adoption-case-lose-home-1.2719138

-- THE IRISH TIMES 2016-07-13

Typical Thai woman has baby from falang in hopes of living the easy life spouse dies dump child then grandparents trying to do right thing have to deal with Thai courts getting screwed by banks money grabbing in home country. I hope they can work something out back home. Mainly because I think Thai courts will take many years to approve the adoption that is if they will approve it.

Typical Thai woman has baby from falang in hopes of living the easy life spouse dies dump child then grandparents trying to do right thing have to deal with Thai courts getting screwed by banks money grabbing in home country. I hope they can work something out back home. Mainly because I think Thai courts will take many years to approve the adoption that is if they will approve it.

A rush to the keyboards-----it is bound to be the fault of Thailand that Ireland refused to let them bring the child back---and that their daughter kept the money instead of paying the mortgage.

“They felt compelled to go to Thailand to bring their grandchild back to Ireland and had been going through an administrative process but were refused in Ireland.

Mr Evans said the O’Briens had a daughter living in the property at The Walk, Cypress Downs, who was meant to take responsibility for mortgage repayments but who had not, leading to the large amount of arrears.

He said Mr and Mrs O’Brien, for a significant period of time, believed their daughter was taking care of their mortgage and were unaware of the developing situation because their mail was not being forwarded to them in Thailand.

The Thai mother abandon the child where---??? by the side of the road while she drove off ??---no-- in a Thai report she abandoned it with the Thai grandparents while she went to seek work.....not an unusual scenario in Thailand. Plus you have seen the reports on the 2 gay guys that had to fight a court case to get their child because the surrogate mother didn't want to give it up. Even that didn't take this amount of time in the Thai courts.

Their son died in 2009-----they have both been living here for years---does it really take 2 people to stay if things were so dire back home. They have income from rental property as well as their house---but It makes a good headline if you don't want to lose your house because your daughter has been spending all the rental money.----especially if we can involve a bad, selfish, uncaring, loveless, (or as strangebrew puts it----A Typical Thai woman who caused all this.

Edited by oxo1947

They didn't get their mail posted to them for years, In the age of computers, internet banking , emails , skype, fax,a photo sent by mobile, and of course that old Scottish invention, The Electric Telephone" They were clueless about the mortgage letters, or non mortgage payments because they were here for years trying to do good things .

I would be embarrassed to have to use that as a defence, but it worked. The Judge directed the bank to sit down with them and see if they can renegotiate or have time to sell the property. So well done.

Maybe strangebrew would like to do another post, it can start with

"A Typical Irish woman who had been living the easy life & caused all this pain with no thoughts of etc etc & ending with, That's just typically of Ireland for you, I'm moving to Russia.

UN-reality show! Tragedy, stupidity, trust or lack of it, crooked family on both sides of the ocean, and POOR innocent child. Anybody has brain out there to help this child to have as normal as possible life in these circumstances?

'leaving his year-old child to the care of ITS Thai mother who had since abandoned IT' !

I am not an English teacher, nor grammar police. but surely HIS and HIM would have been more appropriate ?

I believe there was no mention made of the grandchild's sex,boy or girl. Thus it is correctly referred to as a "child" and "it" being the correct term to refer to a single child.

'leaving his year-old child to the care of ITS Thai mother who had since abandoned IT' !

I am not an English teacher, nor grammar police. but surely HIS and HIM would have been more appropriate ?

I believe there was no mention made of the grandchild's sex,boy or girl. Thus it is correctly referred to as a "child" and "it" being the correct term to refer to a single child.

Technically, you are correct.

However, would not 'the child's mother' and 'the child' sound a bit better ?

...well just because she is Thai....the skank can ruin as many lives as she pleases...and face no consequences....

...that about sums up the situation when a foreigner marries a Thai woman....

...children.....???

...the least of her concern...unless there is something to profit from....

...well just because she is Thai....the skank can ruin as many lives as she pleases...and face no consequences....

...that about sums up the situation when a foreigner marries a Thai woman....

...children.....???

...the least of her concern...unless there is something to profit from....

Don't get this.

Why is the mother to blame here?

The father dies, leaves little or no money so she goes off to work to support the kid and leaves the child at her parents. Pretty standard here, the child is not abandoned.

Why did the father not set up some form of financial security in the event of his death?

Reading the article it sounds more like financial scamming going on which has nothing to do with the mother or child.

A rush to the keyboards-----it is bound to be the fault of Thailand that Ireland refused to let them bring the child back---and that their daughter kept the money instead of paying the mortgage.

“They felt compelled to go to Thailand to bring their grandchild back to Ireland and had been going through an administrative process but were refused in Ireland.

Mr Evans said the O’Briens had a daughter living in the property at The Walk, Cypress Downs, who was meant to take responsibility for mortgage repayments but who had not, leading to the large amount of arrears.

He said Mr and Mrs O’Brien, for a significant period of time, believed their daughter was taking care of their mortgage and were unaware of the developing situation because their mail was not being forwarded to them in Thailand.

The Thai mother abandon the child where---??? by the side of the road while she drove off ??---no-- in a Thai report she abandoned it with the Thai grandparents while she went to seek work.....not an unusual scenario in Thailand. Plus you have seen the reports on the 2 gay guys that had to fight a court case to get their child because the surrogate mother didn't want to give it up. Even that didn't take this amount of time in the Thai courts.

Their son died in 2009-----they have both been living here for years---does it really take 2 people to stay if things were so dire back home. They have income from rental property as well as their house---but It makes a good headline if you don't want to lose your house because your daughter has been spending all the rental money.----especially if we can involve a bad, selfish, uncaring, loveless, (or as strangebrew puts it----A Typical Thai woman who caused all this.

Facts? They just get in the way of a good old piece of Tha bashing.

Technically, you are correct.

However, would not 'the child's mother' and 'the child' sound a bit better ?

Indeed.thumbsup.gif

I have to say that although initially this looks like an honourable thing to do what is the point of attempting to adopt a child if you have nothing to offer them because you lose your home and your investments?

It makes no sense that 2 of them had to be in Thailand for 7 years without ensuring that their situation was in order back home.

Most of us get into financial trouble at one time or another and it is not always out own fault. However, surely they were performing some kind of checks to ensure everything was ok back home?

It sounds like they were being completely irresponsible and not taking care of the basics in life, it does not bode well for a couple trying to adopt a child. I suspect they will not be in a position to adopt and also now will lose their home and rental properties that according to the report are also in arrears.

And as for blaming their daughter, well they should be ashamed of themselves. Even if she was irresponsible it is up to them to ensure everything is ok, after all the house and the debts are all in their name, you don't just disappear for years and hope everything is ok.

Showing you the true nature of Capitalism.

Property an money first, people afterward.

But then what honor can you expect from a Banker anyhow.

Not sure who you are referring to but it's certainly not the point I was making.

Why is it this couple could not do both, seek custody of the child and take care of their responsibilities back home?

In this case what you call Capitalism I call irresponsibility.

Typical Thai woman

None of the Thai women I know have done anything like this.

Perhaps you are hanging around the Gutter-Class of Thai society.

Totally agree, in my many years I have not met any Thai women who have not demonstrated anything but love and devotion to their children.

Yes I know a couple who are nurses and went to Bangkok for better paid work- children looked after by grandparents- not ideal- but not unusual.

It's the usual thing knock everybody here. Really I suppose we should not feed the trolls .

Banks in Ireland send post to Thailand by snail mail .( but you eventually should get the letter within 2 or 3 weeks . ) ,and they dont seem to like to use e-mail .Thats from personal experience .I would not blame the Banksters in this case ,as they are slow to repossess houses in arrears in the Irish republic .(looks like 7 years in this case ) .

Edited by anto

"Typical Thai woman"

You mean majority of Thai women are like this?

Please clarify your statement.

Strange brew indeed!

bah.gif

Edited by ravip

Sounds ridiculous; I mean they do.

They do not sound too bright to me. There are many ways their claim could have been handled or even one here and coming back when needed.Many ways other then what they did. Not too bright.

Edited by sanukjim

They felt compelled to go to Thailand to bring their grandchild back to Ireland and had been going through an administrative process but were refused in Ireland.

Mr Evans said the OBriens had a daughter living in the property at The Walk, Cypress Downs, who was meant to take responsibility for mortgage repayments but who had not, leading to the large amount of arrears.

He said Mr and Mrs OBrien, for a significant period of time, believed their daughter was taking care of their mortgage and were unaware of the developing situation because their mail was not being forwarded to them in Thailand.

Nice to see there are still some real caring people here on TV...

They didn't get their mail posted to them for years, In the age of computers, internet banking , emails , skype, fax,a photo sent by mobile, and of course that old Scottish invention, The Electric Telephone" They were clueless about the mortgage letters, or non mortgage payments because they were here for years trying to do good things .

I would be embarrassed to have to use that as a defence, but it worked. The Judge directed the bank to sit down with them and see if they can renegotiate or have time to sell the property. So well done.

I have a friend scan my mail, and email the scans to me. They probably trusted their daughter to do the same.

Almost no UK financial institution will email you direct.

This includes, my banks, my pension company, the state pension people. They all insist on posting to my UK address.

Hargreaves Lansdown are the only ones prepared to work with me by email, and even they demand signed paper from time to time.

Edited by MissAndry

The child automatically qualified for Irish passport...Mum n grandparents will be more than happy to get any money that might not even come to 10% of that mortgage arrears.

Need I say more? I would have let the house through an agency before I left...etc etc ...