Should tourists to Thailand require a "Letter of Invitation"?

sipi

A number of countries require a "Letter of Invitation" from a resident or tour company in order to get a visa.

Do you think Thailand should implement the same measures?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of countries with good tourism require an invitation letter, Australia and some EU countries included.

I am neither in favor nor apposed to this concept, but interested if it would work in Thailand.

A lot of countries with good tourism require an invitation letter, Australia and some EU countries included.

I am neither in favor nor apposed to this concept, but interested if it would work in Thailand.

Australia requires an invitation letter? Some EU countries?

Yep. Next.

Other than a nice little earner for companies selling letters of invitation, what would it accomplish, aside from making it easier to choose Bali or Vietnam as their destination to spend that sweaty tourist cash?

Edited by impulse

No... it would just add to the costs. Tourists would then have to buy an invitation letter from a Thai tour company / hotel.

For EU countries, the invitiation letter is only necessary when the purpose of the trip is visiting friends or relatives and / or the applicant is not shouldering all costs of his stay, for example because he's staying at his friends'/family's place.

The idea of a letter of invitation to Thailand is a very bad idea in my opinion.

Yep. Next.

pray tell us which European countries require a Genuine Tourist to have an invitation letter from a person there?

Australia does not require any invitation letter for a tourist visa; and I have not heard of any European country asking for one. It also does not make any sense at all, since most tourists do not know any locals or have any contacts with a tour agency before arriving in the country.

Pointless thread based on nonsense...

I have provided three letters of invitation for Thai friends going to Australia in the last year.

It is a common practice, I can recall requiring invitation letters over 30 years ago.

Australia does not require any invitation letter for a tourist visa; and I have not heard of any European country asking for one. It also does not make any sense at all, since most tourists do not know any locals or have any contacts with a tour agency before arriving in the country.

Pointless thread based on nonsense...

I can't be bothered explaining it. Try google.

Places like Cambodia and Laos only made travel easy for individual travellers in the late nineties. They were pristine when they first opened and are now rapidly being spoiled by mass tourism.

Thailand's pristine places have already been spoiled by mass tourism so there's little point in closing the place now.

Might keep some of the riff-raff out.

who defines riff raff and where does it end?

The Immigration Department. Where it ends is up to them, same as other countries.

Yep. Next.

pray tell us which European countries require a Genuine Tourist to have an invitation letter from a person there?

germany for thais. it goes even further as thais require a 'buergschafts erklaerung' that commits a german to financially vouch for a thai during his/her stay.

I have provided three letters of invitation for Thai friends going to Australia in the last year.

It is a common practice, I can recall requiring invitation letters over 30 years ago.

I guess it all depends who you mix with as to whether they need letters of introduction. I for one have never needed one to enter Aus. An Aussie doesn't need one for the UK but a Thai miight, it all depends on your home country.

germany for thais. it goes even further as thais require a 'buergschafts erklaerung' that commits a german to financially vouch for a thai during his/her stay.

This maybe applicable for bargirls. But if the thai person have a normal job and can prove of own finance, then this is not needed.

I know personaly of at least 2 person who flew to germany, swiss and france by themselve without a invitation letter.

For most tourists to Thailand, it would become impossible to have an invitation letter!

For about showing the hotel booking and travel arrangements, I think for most tourists this would not matter, because many tourists do anyway 2 week beach holiday or some organiced trips.

Would it be better for Thailand? Better for what?

- Better for less farangs --> YES

- Better for their money --> No, because some would choose another destination

So at the end I not think that Thailand would gain something by this. I even would guess they would lose something.