Fishermans Village Transformation

Boltd

i particularly like the demolishing of the big old wooden thai house on the shore near the little square and its replacement .

a 4 story concrete box that encroaches on the square and cuts out all the light to the street.

tastefully done. fits in nicely.

Edited by taxexile

i particularly like the demolishing of the big old wooden thai house on the shore near the little square and its replacement .

a 4 story concrete box that encroaches on the square and cuts out all the light from the street.

Progress? Upmarket resort?

This place is getting built up fast!

what are they going to do about traffic and parking?

The same as the rest of Samui, not a lot :o:D

The Parking is the biggest problem..

I went for an Indina last week, parked my Bike in an area oppsite the Restaraunt down an Alley when a Thai Lady from a Shop told me i couldn't park there, " why not ? " i asked " can not park there, can not park there " she replied. " It's not your road is it ? " i asked her. " Motorbike too noisy. Make much noise " was her Neanderthaolic pathetic reply to a Parked Motorbike !!

Awful Human Being she was.

****edited for racist comments against forum rules****

Edited by sbk

Land of Smiles my ar*e !!

Only if you're giving them money do they then smile !!!

Other thna that, they're awful people & she just topped it off !!

If you hate it so much, why don't you go to your home country than? Why stay here?

I think you have to consider yourself as a quest here, behave like it.

What's this crap about consider himself a quest here, he may have every right in the world to be here, and can say what he likes. The Thais in Australia say what they wish so it goes both ways.

I for one will not kiss there arse, as for Saumians they are know to be an arrogant bunch.

What's this crap about consider himself a quest here, he may have every right in the world to be here, and can say what he likes. The Thais in Australia say what they wish so it goes both ways.

I for one will not kiss there arse, as for Saumians they are know to be an arrogant bunch.

I yhink it was a typo, am I correct in thinking it's suposed to read Guest not Quest..

Mate if we spoke to Thais in OZ like they do to us here, we would be on a descrimination charge ...

May I remind posters to read the forum rules? Specifically

Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or any attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants. The word, or its derivative, "trolling", is used to describe such messages or the act of posting them.

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.

Back to the topic at hand: Bo Phut or rather, specifically, the beach front area known as Fishermans Village.

So are all these new buildings small hotels like the Red house or rental/sale apartments.

I take it that the big building located at the top of the village will be a big hotel, but I've not seen any work on this project in many months - anyone know whats going on??

The Parking is the biggest problem..

I went for an Indina last week, parked my Bike in an area oppsite the Restaraunt down an Alley when a Thai Lady from a Shop told me i couldn't park there, " why not ? " i asked " can not park there, can not park there " she replied. " It's not your road is it ? " i asked her. " Motorbike too noisy. Make much noise " was her Neanderthaolic pathetic reply to a Parked Motorbike !!

Awful Human Being she was.

She was right, 'your' Neanderthale woman :o ; parking a motobike means 'coming-and-going'; that's what makes the noise. It's not just you, but dozens of other motobikes too.

And: she's not an awful Human being; maybe you should have another look in the mirror... :D

They should/will make (the small beautiful seaside-street) Bophut traffic-free; just a matter of time!

LaoPo

They should/will make (the small beautiful seaside-street) Bophut traffic-free; just a matter of time!

they should hurry up and put a conservation order on any of those old wooden house that are still left.

.. before trendy bangkok architects and falang or thai developers come along and destroy any more of samuis character and heritage.

fishermans village is slowly becoming a cliched western parody of how they think we want a tropical island village to look like. in its search for character , its lost all its character.

if thats progress wheres my time machine.

they should hurry up and put a conservation order on any of those old wooden house that are still left.

Couldn't agree more; it's a heritage site !

Unfortunately the Samuians/developers look at it in a different way; the old wooden houses are 'just' houses from Hainan Chinese families and they don't bring in any -extra- money :o

LaoPo

Gone with the wind...gone, gone, gone and the point of return has been passed some time ago.

People will do remember the lost heritage one day, after everything is covered with concrete, stainless steel and mirrored Glass....and the streets choking under the traffic of limousines.

Well, we all got a choice, don't we?

But it's not only the locals, I believe the worst example set, is the IT building in Lamai...or the Tesco/Lotus and those huge advertising signs coming up, all over the place, lately.

Well maybe one day it's worth while going back to the wilderness of the black forest, or the carpatian mountains, bohemia, transylvania, umbria, tuscany, provence, even wyoming or british colombia, how about queensland, cacadoo n.p. salomon isl. there are still plenty of places to enjoy nature to it's fullest, or has anybody got a life sentence here?....

Edited by Samuian

Gone with the wind...gone, gone, gone and the point of return has been passed some time ago.

People will do remember the lost heritage one day, after everything is covered with concrete, stainless steel and mirrored Glass....and the streets choking under the traffic of limousines.

But it's not only the locals, I believe the worst example set, is the IT building in Lamai...or the Tesco/Lotus and those huge advertising signs coming up, all over the place, lately.

Well maybe one day it's worth while going back to the wilderness of the black forest, or the carpatian mountains, bohemia, transylvania, umbria, tuscany, provence, even wyoming or british colombia, how about queensland, cacadoo n.p. salomon isl. there are still plenty of places to enjoy nature to it's fullest, or has anybody got a life sentence here?....

sadly i agree that fishermans village is quicly losing its charm. I absolutely detesd and refused to set foot on samui (unless i was on my way to KPG) until i discovered the village.

While it is still ok, i am being quicly disenchanted with the village too. oh well. there is always chaloklam on kpg

sadly i agree that fishermans village is quicly losing its charm. I absolutely detesd and refused to set foot on samui (unless i was on my way to KPG) until i discovered the village.

While it is still ok, i am being quicly disenchanted with the village too. oh well. there is always chaloklam on kpg

I fear chaloklam maybe the next one loosing it's charm. 3 story concrete box - oops I mean 'boutique hotel' being knocked up at the moment.

Problem with those charming old wooden houses in the tropics? Termites, in a word. A friend of ours had a beautiful old house they were loathe to tear down but were forced to because termites had invaded the roof beams unbeknownst to them. They had to pull it down rather than have it fall down around their ears.

Why don't you ask the locals why those old houses are being torn down? Could be greed, could be something else.

.. before trendy bangkok architects and falang or thai developers come along and destroy any more of samuis character and heritage.

fishermans village is slowly becoming a cliched western parody of how they think we want a tropical island village to look like. in its search for character , its lost all its character.

if thats progress wheres my time machine.

What's this worl coming to, I agree with you for once taxexile. :o

Is it actually a village? Is it really called "Fisherman's Village"? Where is this fisherman? Does he still fish? How did he get a whole village named after him?

1. Yes it's a village along the beach.

2. Yes it's (also) called 'Fisherman's Village' showing an Arch at the entrance of Bophut.

3. The Fishermen came (amongst others like Malay fishermen) from Hainan, the tropical Chinese island on the Chinese southcoast and stayed there, building their wooden houses. You can still see the Chinese characters on the houses.

There are still Chinese families living there although it's hard to communicate with them; they speak so called "Hainan language" (apart from Thai) which differs completely from Cantonese Chinese.

Some interesting links:

http://www.kohsamui-info.com/history.html

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/samui/samui_history.html

http://www.samuitourism.com/culture_people/index.htm

http://www.samuitourism.com/photo_gallery/history/index1.htm interesting historical photos from Samui

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

it was only a matter of time limbos , before you came round to my way of thinking !! :D:o

Hold your breath Tax, don't get too excited!

Sorry Tax, Limbos wasn't himself.Now take your tablets Limbos lmao. :D

a 4 story concrete box that encroaches on the square and cuts out all the light to the street.

Sounds like you mean it sarcastically since if you don't you're an idiot, NO offence taxexile, just my 2 baht.

Edited by SamuiJens

Couldn't agree more; it's a heritage site !

Unfortunately the Samuians/developers look at it in a different way; the old wooden houses are 'just' houses from Hainan Chinese families and they don't bring in any -extra- money :o

LaoPo

Nice to know there are some people on Samui that want to keep it from becoming an eye-sore. And not just Bo Put, but the rest of the Island.