Kids living with their Thai Mom in Thailand

I assume their US birth certificates shows her as their mother. If she has their birth certificates the children can get one year extensions at immigration as returning Thai nationals. All she needs to show is her ID card and house book registry along with the birth certificates for them to apply for the extensions.

I assume that's what she was doing since 2011 but this year sounds like its hard for her to apply or renew the visa for the kids and she always mentioned is need to go back in the immigration, which is sounds like she's going back in the immigration almost everyday last week...

just wondering if my thai wife (only village / family marriage not with government papers ) gets pregnant in Thailand can the kids get a europaen passport when i proove with dna that i am the father and would they be able to have a thai pp as well to receive schooling and live in Thailand ???

That dependents upon your nationality. Every country has different rules. Some don't recognize dual nationality.

Your child could get a Thai passport if needed for travel. Since they would be born here they will have a Thai birth certificate and house book registry and later (7 years old) a Thai ID card.

No they can't apply Thai passports because when the kids born in the states the mom didn't report their birth certificate to the Thai consulate or embassy in the US. The father doesn't want the kids having a Thai passports too...

They most certainlay can become Thai citizens. It doesn't matter at what age they claim their citizenship either. Get official copies (with raised stamps) of their American birth certificate and have it translated into Thai. You will need copies of the parents marriage certificate translated into Thai as well. Plus, some other documents. The local Amphoe can tell you what you need. Some will require more documents and some less.

I was born in the US and claimed my Thai citizenship when i was 35.

Yes they know that they can claim to become Thai citizen when the kids can decided if they want to become Thai citizen... Anyone who have a parent that different nationalities, the kids on that marriage can apply to become dual citizenship when they can decided for themselves... Or decide which one they can keep...

Edited by Cam2011

Yes they know that they can claim to become Thai citizen when the kids can decided if they want to become Thai citizen... Anyone who have a parent that different nationalities, the kids on that marriage can apply to become dual citizenship when they can decided for themselves... Or decide which one they can keep...

They already ARE Thai citizens and have been so since birth. They do not need a Thai passport to be a Thai citizen, but if they want a Thai passport later, when they come of age and no longer need the parents' approval to apply for it, it will be much more difficult to apply for it, ie to get their hands on the necessary documents for the passport application.

Seeing that both parents are adamant in refusing to register the children's birth at the Thai embassy still now is against the children's interest, ie parental neglect of the children, and the parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Of course, the children can travel with him from Thailand to another country. All he needs is the mother's written consent and the children's passports.

Thank you for the response. But what if the ex wife won't let the kids to be with their father? Does US embassy in Thailand can help my friend or does he need to hire a lawyer in Thailand?

I doubt very much that the US embassy in Bangkok will help one parent to abduct a child who is in the custody of the other parent, and legally so.

You mentioned in another post that there is no court order giving the father joint custody or even visiting rights, therefore I see absolutely nothing with which the embassy could possibly be asked to help.

Of course, the children can travel with him from Thailand to another country. All he needs is the mother's written consent and the children's passports.

Thank you for the response. But what if the ex wife won't let the kids to be with their father? Does US embassy in Thailand can help my friend or does he need to hire a lawyer in Thailand?

I doubt very much that the US embassy in Bangkok will help one parent to abduct a child who is in the custody of the other parent, and legally so.

You mentioned in another post that there is no court order giving the father joint custody or even visiting rights, therefore I see absolutely nothing with which the embassy could possibly be asked to help.

Even the mother doesn't have full custody. Anyway, as I said the main concern why I joined here is to help my friend. And if no one can give the answer what the question then no need to comment anything because that's not the main concern... It's about the visa, not the costudy or nationality etc. I don't mean to be rude here but the answer of the question is getting far away... Edited by Cam2011

I'm not looking for the help to abduct anyone...

The mother can bring the children to any Thai consulate to apply for a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa category O or make a visa-exempt entry with them. The consulates in Vientiane and Savannakhet are considered best. They could probably get a single-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting their mother in Thailand and then, back in Thailand, they should apply for a one year extension of stay for the reason of living with a family member of Thai nationality, ie their mother, under clause 2.18(4) of Police Order 327/2557 and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557

The original Thai texts, perhaps easier for the Thai mother to read, are here:

Police Order 327/2557 Thai text

Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 Thai text

They already ARE Thai citizens and have been so since birth. They do not need a Thai passport to be a Thai citizen, but if they want a Thai passport later, when they come of age and no longer need the parents' approval to apply for it, it will be much more difficult to apply for it, ie to get their hands on the necessary documents for the passport application.

Seeing that both parents are adamant in refusing to register the children's birth at the Thai embassy still now is against the children's interest, ie parental neglect of the children, and the parents should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm sorry but they don't need to be ashamed of anything...

The mother can bring the children to any Thai consulate to apply for a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa category O or make a visa-exempt entry with them. The consulates in Vientiane and Savannakhet are considered best. They could probably get a single-entry non-O visa for the purpose of visiting their mother in Thailand and then, back in Thailand, they should apply for a one year extension of stay for the reason of living with a family member of Thai nationality, ie their mother, under clause 2.18(4) of Police Order 327/2557 and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557

Thank you so much for this information... I will send to my friend... I appreciate it.

Thank you so much for this information... I will send to my friend... I appreciate it.

As I wrote about in an earlier post clause 2.23 the correct clause or the one that immigration will use to grant the extension since they have Thai nationality.

Under clause 2.18 they would have to have a non immigrant visa entry under 2.23 there is no visa requirement. Also the intent of 2.18 (4) if is for non Thai children to get an extension

"2.23 In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
(1) Must have evidence that the applicant used to have Thai nationality or that his her parent is or was of Thai nationality."

The problem is that although the children are Thai nationals, they have no documents to prove it and the parents have decided not to obtain the necessary documents for them. What is an immigration officer to do in such a case with an application for an extension for the reason of being a Thai national? No wonder the mother isn't getting anywhere in her discussions with the immigration office.

The problem is that although the children are Thai nationals, they have no documents to prove it and the parents have decided not to obtain the necessary documents for them. What is an immigration officer to do in such a case with an application for an extension for the reason of being a Thai national? No wonder the mother isn't getting anywhere in her discussions with the immigration office.

Their birth certificates would have their mother's name on it and since she is Thai that would be enough proof they have Thai nationality for the extension. Only proof that she is Thai would be needed.

Also I am confident that immigration would deny the application under 2.18 since (4) is meant to be for dependents of a person that has an extension of stay under 2.18.

Forgot about that. Extension clause 2.18 is out of the question for this case. Back to discussion with immigration for the mother, with evidence that she is the mother of the children.

• Like 1

Thank you for all response and really appreciate it... So this is what happened, since month of May the Thai Mom already mentioned about applying visa or extend for the kids, then she go to the immigration, after keep on going back in the immigration she always say she is waiting for the immigration to contact her and tell her where to go with the kids to stay and exit of Thailand. It's July now and yesterday my friend got a message from his ex wife telling him that the immigration told her they need to go to Singapore, they kind of argue because my friend ask his ex wife if it's really necessary that the immigration need to tell her where to go and stay with the kids and how many days to stay on that country? After my friend asked her that she gets mad and say I'm not lying... So I tell to my friend that sounds like she is lying, because no one telling her she's lying. Well when my friend kind of ignoring her after like 4-5 hours she messaged again and she said, the immigration told her they can go to Laos for a week... My friend question is, is it true that when you are applying visa or extend visa, got need to wait for the immigration to tell you where to go to exit?

Honestly, my wife told me this that my friend Thai ex wife can go out Thailand with the kids to exit then when she go back to Thailand with the kids, the kids can get a one year visa... It's almost the same like in the Philippines (my wife is filipina) the mom can take the kids somewhere as long as out of the Philippines then when they go back in the PI they can get a stamp called BalikBayan stamp or BB stamp, just need to ask to the immigration because they will not automatically giving you. And that's why we tried to mention this to my friend and he tells to his Thai ex wife, his ex wife response was "your friend wife is filipine, filipine woman don't know about anything in Thailand"...

Honestly, my wife told me this that my friend Thai ex wife can go out Thailand with the kids to exit then when she go back to Thailand with the kids, the kids can get a one year visa... It's almost the same like in the Philippines (my wife is filipina) the mom can take the kids somewhere as long as out of the Philippines then when they go back in the PI they can get a stamp called BalikBayan stamp or BB stamp, just need to ask to the immigration because they will not automatically giving you. And that's why we tried to mention this to my friend and he tells to his Thai ex wife, his ex wife response was "your friend wife is filipine, filipine woman don't know about anything in Thailand"...

There is no one year visa that can be obtained on entry. They could get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply for the one year extension at immigration under clause 2.23 of the police order I mentioned in my posts.

There is no one year visa that can be obtained on entry. They could get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply for the one year extension at immigration under clause 2.23 of the police order I mentioned in my posts.

I agree, in Thailand when you enter after exit you can get 90 days visa only then you can go to the immigration to apply for a year...

I agree, in Thailand when you enter after exit you can get 90 days visa only then you can go to the immigration to apply for a year...

That would be for an extension that requires a non immigrant visa entry. For the extension under 2.23 there is no requirement for a visa. It can be applied for with a visa exempt entry.

Thank you all for the response...

Another question specially to American Citizens who's giving a Child Support to their kids in Thailand.

Question, is their any specific amount as a child support in Thailand?

In the divorce no Child Support involved or anything. The Thai ex wife don't have even a sign in the divorce papers.

Child support should be up to the parents of the children to decide. I know you are trying to be a good friend but, probably best to stay out of this part. Let them decide what is best

Excuse me. And by the way, my friend is the one who asking me to please asked here... I'm not going to asked here about his situation if I don't have permission from him.

Child support should be up to the parents of the children to decide. I know you are trying to be a good friend but, probably best to stay out of this part. Let them decide what is best

Excuse me. And by the way, my friend is the one who asking me to please asked here... I'm not going to asked here about his situation if I don't have permission from him.

You come on a public forum to ask advice from total strangers about such a personal issue and then want to get testy with me because I suggest you should let the parents be responsible and work it out for themselves? You have some nerve!

And seriously if the father cant figure this topic out himself, he has much bigger issues in life to worry about.

Have either your friend or yourself ever heard of personal responsibility or being an adult?

I cant think of a single person who would ever advertise help when trying to decide on child support payments.

You've helped in an area for your friend now time to butt out of this business.