SURVEY: What best describes your experiences with Thai Immigration?

SURVEY: What best describes your experiences with Thai Immigration?  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You guys above seem fortunate with your offices in the South. For a rough ride try Chiang Mai. No help in difficult circumstances like when my friend broke his back and overstayed in Hospital. They could not have been more unhelpful. Queuing for everything. Nightmare to get a place in the queue for extension for marriage. Eight years of miserable experiences, and yes I dress appropriately and behave well. I have lived in Brunei , Malaysia and Nigeria before this and Chiang Mai is the worst. Just poor organisation and the changing the rules frequently to force you to deal with the agencies set up alongside. Many of the staff have been here many years and are just bombed out. New broom urgently required.

• Like 1

The new personal info form is too intrusive, my bank account nbr? my social media; why not my passwords too ! Before a copy of my condo lease was enough; now no telling what hoops they want me to jump thru. It is getting to be too much to deal with all too quickly.

The "problem" with immigration is not so much the officers as the system. For example to renew I year retirement visa at Chaeng Wattana office. At 8 am 100 m long queue opening time 8.30. Queue jumpers and visa company reps get in first, queue again to get a service number. assume lucky enough to get say # 30, minimum 2 hours wait. First officer does the checking, then refers you to another desk, ten to fifteen minutes wait. Second office check finished, go outside and wait another 10 minutes. That done all approved now for the re-entry visa, back to the "get number" counter get #145. Board shows number 95 being served therefore 50 to go. Wait ! lunch time coming up so every one out, back at 1pm. number up at 2pm but where is the copy of the new visa extension? go outside to get a copy. Two desks required to do the checking, finished at 3pm. Thought ! can I do 90 reporting while I am here ?, NO only 15 days before due date is allowed.

So the question ? why cannot one desk do all the processing?? No need to waste so much time, no need to copy the same document 3 times, better allocation of human resources. Yes yes I know the problem, What would they do with all those people made redundant.

• Like 1

There is no correct box for me to tick.

I have never had a problem except for the "strong indication" the officer wanted a few hundred baht extra. However this has not been the case for a couple of years.

But I know others who have, and always because

1. Not prepared with the correct documents.

2. Overstayed because of stupidity.

3. Missed reporting deadlines because of stupidity.

4. Expecting immigration to do things like "proof of life" instantly and without any charge.

5. Attitude issues.

i have renewed my visa extension based on retirement several times now at the Khon Kaen immigration office and the immigration officer have always been polite and most helpful. All done and dusted in 15 minutes on average.

I dont wish to tempt providence but never had any problems in the 16 years of staying here.Neither in Bangkok or Jomtien.I have since moved to Khon kaen and the people there very helpful.There is a sweetheart of an officer there.She always smiles and her English is good.My wife speaks good English and they like to chat to each other.But i always stick to the rules.

I give a nice big wai,i dress in long trousers and a collared shirt.I always smile and let them think that they are far superior and more knowledgeable than i am.I shut up and let my wife do the talking.i get asked 'why you stay' and i always reply 'because your country is so beautiful and my wife is wonderful and i love the food here.Then when i get home i strip off all the smart shit and am violently sick in the toilet because of my slimy,grinning,cow towing actions.

• Like 1

I have contact with Immigration in several different provinces. I have never had any problems with Immigration officials, but in the course of my work, I have seen a great deal of variation in how they interpret and enforce the rules.

I personally have never had any difficulties with the Thai Immigration authorities - they have always been fair and helpful. However, I had to vote B, as I do know some people who have had difficulties, albeit some of their own making...

I dont wish to tempt providence but never had any problems in the 16 years of staying here.Neither in Bangkok or Jomtien.I have since moved to Khon kaen and the people there very helpful.There is a sweetheart of an officer there.She always smiles and her English is good.My wife speaks good English and they like to chat to each other.But i always stick to the rules.

I give a nice big wai,i dress in long trousers and a collared shirt.I always smile and let them think that they are far superior and more knowledgeable than i am.I shut up and let my wife do the talking.i get asked 'why you stay' and i always reply 'because your country is so beautiful and my wife is wonderful and i love the food here.Then when i get home i strip off all the smart shit and am violently sick in the toilet because of my slimy,grinning,cow towing actions.

I could of written nearly the same thing!

I usually just crack a grin at the superficial theater though. For the most part, appreciate the fact they accommodate my desire to live here for as long as I care to, with relative ease, and as long as I don't screw up too badly. Fair enough.

At times, I've thought my own country would do well to inhibit immigration and paths to citizenship in similar ways.

I voted "B" ....only because on my last extension re-newal, even thou I was applying early ( 29 days early), they gave me an " under consideration " stamp and told to come back in TWO months for new permission stamp - this covered the normal one mth under consideration and ALSO the 1 mth early application. Just seemed pointless to me and I fully expected them to have " misplaced" my paperwork when I returned in 2 mths for the new stamp( which they didnt , in fact the officer found it unusually quickly sitting on top of a filing cabinet).

But other than that I have had no issues at Udon Thani office .......but I have seen many who have had issues but usually due to their own lack of paperwork or their bad attitude.

EDIT: extension is based on retirement.

Edited by novo58

Here in Chiang Mai the front line workers are just great never a problem and in one case one officer bent over backwards when I made an error. Going up the administration ladder is where I have a problem. This idea of a senior like me going at 5.00 a.m. in the morning to stand in line for a cue number is really demeaning. Then you have to return hours later and do the paperwork and then the next morning to pickup your passport. It is stressing for the elderly and yes I know all you agent users are just sitting in the bushes waiting to throw SB's but I simply refuse to use them it goes against my principals. Yes some of us still do have them. When we had the online queue system it was so simple even with the present location which is out of the way. This whole system has disintegrated to accomplish one thing and I am sure you all are aware of what it is.

Edited by elgordo38
  • Like 1

I have no problem with Thai Immigration per say. Soi 5 Immigration Pattaya is as efficient

as possible. Very busy in high season, busy in low season, but as I say I think they are

efficient and professional. The issues I have are the whole immigration bureaucracy needs

to be streamlined. I just was there for a 30 day tourist visa extension. The paper work

than now needs to be submitted with the new paperwork is 11 pages and two photographs

and with the exception of a question or two they already have all the information.

I don't know who provides paper for these forms but they are making a fortune. Millions

and millions of pages of repeated paperwork stored and eventually recycled.

And Jesus wept at the environmental cost. sad.png

In my experience, in the really busy ones - like Jomtien, the staff can be a bit impatient and unsympathetic, but have a look at what they have to deal with! Also waiting times there can be very long. The quiet ones, I have used Korat, and Mapthaput, have helpful and polite staff who are more than ready to help and suggest solutions to problems.

I had no problem with immigration until 3 years ago. I am here on a retirement visa. I have always lived at the same address but suddenly then started wanting proof that I lived at the address. I asked them to look in their files at the 11 previous years of visa renewals and 90 day reports. I had to leave and bring the blue book back. There is nothing on the website about needing a blue book. They told me it was a new requirement. Then there was a problem that the name on the blue book isn't my g/f's. I had to bring the person whose name is in the blue book. Then I had to bring a Thai national to sponsor/vouch for me, even though there is nothing in the regulations about needing this.

In summary I had no problems for 8 years and then in the past 3 years I have had irritating little problems which have required me to go back once or twice to the immigration office. It seems to be getting worse each year. The past year they asked me to sign a form which told me what I had to bring…photo, bank statement etc and then asked me for things which are not on the form.

As I understand it I could have a retirement visa and live in a hotel, there is no requirement to be married or in a relation with a Thai woman, there is no mention of blue books or other stuff and to add insult to injury they charged with overstay and fined me the first time (I applied on the last day of the visa).

It is not major stuff like getting kicked out of the country or anything but it is all petty. My problem is that it is about 200 km to the immigration office and another maybe 300km to go to get documents from the British embassy. There seems to be no logic or consistency to the rules. Plus the endless and constant changes of the immigration law and the fact that all the offices have different policies. Frankly it is 3rd world. They moved for a while onto a computer system, and now they are back to reams of paper again. I should be easy, I have no police records and plenty of money, so I assume they are just looking for me to offer them tea money. Note I have never had a problem with a female immigration officer, it is the men who won;t look you in the eye.

• Like 2

I voted "B" ....only because on my last extension re-newal, even thou I was applying early ( 29 days early), they gave me an " under consideration " stamp and told to come back in TWO months for new permission stamp - this covered the normal one mth under consideration and ALSO the 1 mth early application. Just seemed pointless to me and I fully expected them to have " misplaced" my paperwork when I returned in 2 mths for the new stamp( which they didnt , in fact the officer found it unusually quickly sitting on top of a filing cabinet).

But other than that I have had no issues at Udon Thani office .......but I have seen many who have had issues but usually due to their own lack of paperwork or their bad attitude.

EDIT: extension is based on retirement.

Pointless in your eyes or not the officer was correct.

The under consideration period always starts after the current expire date.

So it does not better how early you come you will always get the 1 moth under consideration stamp.

Personally i think that as long you have all the required papers you don't have "much" problems with the immigration officers.

There are always the exceptions off-course.

Most people who have problems don't comply with all regulations and blame the Thai system for this.

I have to say that in my dealings with Immigration I've never had any problems and on a couple of occasions received help, consideration and the utmost courtesy.

As other members have said sometimes our own personal attitude etc helps or can simply make matters difficult.

Naturally I've heard some horror stories and no doubt some were exaggerated for effect.

Funnily enough the last couple of stories I've head it was the Thai wife who copped it.

One lady apparently deserved it, well according to her husband, and the other was very upset at questions from a female officer who was asking how much money she received from her husband, how much did he give the family and so on.

The only problem I've known is when my mate's Thai wife threw her TM 6 away because, being Thai, she didn't think she needed it but got a right bo**ocking from the IO when she tried to leave and go back to the UK...

A Thai citizen fills out a TM6 form when leaving and the arrival portion is retained in the passport until reentry into Thailand at which point it is kept by immigration. The IO was complaining that she did not fill out a form, not that she threw it away. Have seen this many times when a Thai leaves for the first time. Instructions are posted by the table with the forms that nobody sees.

TH

The only problem I've known is when my mate's Thai wife threw her TM 6 away because, being Thai, she didn't think she needed it but got a right bo**ocking from the IO when she tried to leave and go back to the UK...

A Thai citizen fills out a TM6 form when leaving and the arrival portion is retained in the passport until reentry into Thailand at which point it is kept by immigration. The IO was complaining that she did not fill out a form, not that she threw it away. Have seen this many times when a Thai leaves for the first time. Instructions are posted by the table with the forms that nobody sees.

TH

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain properly. My mate and his Thai wife (with dual nationality) live permanently in the UK and came to Thailand on holiday (her first visit back to Thailand). She left the UK on her UK passport and was given a TM 6 to fill in on the plane. She used her Thai passport on arrival and wrongly assumed that because she was a Thai National and using her Thai passport to enter/leave Thailand she didn't need to complete the TM 6 so discarded it. When they left two weeks later she was given a lecture by the IO for not keeping it and given another one to fill in.

And she had renewed her Thai passport while in the UK so wasn't using the original, so yes, the IO WAS complaining that she'd thrown the original TM 6 away.

Edited by sumrit

Always had excellent relationship and found the officers always to be efficient and professional at doing their jobs. I always 'wai' out of respect , not always reciprocated though -especially at Chon buried which is hardly surprising given the huge turnover of incorrectly dressed morons they have to deal with. I avoid singles and put a clean shirt on and trousers.Airport immigration has always been more than welcoming especially when I speak with my very limited Thai . attitude is what counts!

In 8 years at Thailand Phuket and other immigration offices have never had a problem with my paperwork. Yes a lot of paperwork but that the system which is being modernised. Do not expect shortcuts. Do it right the first time, every time, on time. No problems

In 9+ years I've never had a problem with MaeSai. An occasional delay while they catch up with the new rule of the moment but that is not the fault of the immigration officers. Polite & friendly. I don't do a lot of overseas travelling anymore but in all the times I flew in/out of Bangkok - I never had any trouble there either.

I used the on-line 90 Day Reporting a few times last year, after I figured out that Microsoft Internet Explorer was the only web browser that worked with the system. No Firefox or Google)

I have not been able to use the on-line 90 Day Reporting for the last three 90 day cycles, regardless of which internet browser, or which computer I use.

I keep getting notices from my browsers and virus security programs that Thai Immigration is using an *invalid* Security Certificate.

As in, requiring a security certificate to communicate, but not using a security certificate issued by an authorized, world wide web recognized, security certificate issuer.

My guess is that the Thai Immigration IT people have tried to build their own (pirate) certificate rather than pay a company for a legal certificate.

A Thai friend who is familiar with such things has phoned Immigration's Tech Support and they have confirmed that they are aware of certificate problems.

But nothing has changed, and Thai Immigration continues to leave the 90 Day Reporting link on their web page which is an embarrassment to them.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows how to work with this 90 Day Reporting system.

I used the on-line 90 Day Reporting a few times last year, after I figured out that Microsoft Internet Explorer was the only web browser that worked with the system. No Firefox or Google)

I have not been able to use the on-line 90 Day Reporting for the last three 90 day cycles, regardless of which internet browser, or which computer I use.

I keep getting notices from my browsers and virus security programs that Thai Immigration is using an *invalid* Security Certificate.

As in, requiring a security certificate to communicate, but not using a security certificate issued by an authorized, world wide web recognized, security certificate issuer.

My guess is that the Thai Immigration IT people have tried to build their own (pirate) certificate rather than pay a company for a legal certificate.

A Thai friend who is familiar with such things has phoned Immigration's Tech Support and they have confirmed that they are aware of certificate problems.

But nothing has changed, and Thai Immigration continues to leave the 90 Day Reporting link on their web page which is an embarrassment to them.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows how to work with this 90 Day Reporting system.

Hi look on pinned notices of 90 day report online will give you everything you need. But re certificate just accept it.

• Like 1