Bar owner gets extorted by cop, calls police chief to intervene

webfact

Great move....although for Paranisa to call Chakthip personally, she must have either been reasonably close to him, or had good connections.....but whatever, a great start, hopefully, people may see this example and start to stand up to the extortionist cops!!

The moral of the story is - you need to be connected! Otherwise nothing happens. coffee1.gif

And the subtitle for the movie is: "Do you know who I am?" meets "Do you know who I know?" - A Thailand thriller.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great story. One can only hope there will be a trial, and the cops will be convicted, and sentenced to prison, where they will be treated very kindly by the other inmates. Cop convictions are extremely rare here. Judges just do not have the courage, nor the moral conviction, and it appears that the government discourages the pursuit of these fools.

I'd wager a guess they dont get pursued because the government is happy to keep paying them pittance..

hence they turn a blind eye to the polices 'extra income ' activities.

Exactly the point I have been trying to make for years now. In exchange for NOT investing a trillion baht or more annually, in equipment, forensics, overseas training (required for expert forensics, detective work, CSI, etc.) trucks, cars, proper motorbikes, weapons, ammunition, and proper salaries, they choose to turn a blind eye, allow utter and complete incompetency to be the law (or lack thereof) of the land, and tolerate a complete and utter lack of public safety, traffic safety, and law and order. That is quite a compromise. And it has been made by one administration after another, especially by the little man who is a law and order politician only in his imagination, and his dreams. And the same seems to apply to the entire judicial system, which is weak by any standards.

Very valid points for sure. But what to do but observe?

I for one can say, i have little or no need for their services

dont drive, dont get involved in business, dont frequent "den of thieves" places,

Dont have wife or kids (that might eventually be impacted by policing), dont get into drunken arguments,

Dont live in a cheap run-down appartment alongside dherros

Actually, I wouldnt even have known how good or bad the Thai police are, if i didnt read these forums.

And granted, TV forums are probably a long way from providing a balanced viewpoint!!

I feel the same way. The general rule of thumb here, for a foreigner, is use the police only as a last resort. It usually does not help. And often it hurts. They are rarely useful. Always remember. Unless there is some sort of payment involved, they are rarely interested in getting involved, or being of assistance. Rarely.

It is a great story. One can only hope there will be a trial, and the cops will be convicted, and sentenced to prison, where they will be treated very kindly by the other inmates. Cop convictions are extremely rare here. Judges just do not have the courage, nor the moral conviction, and it appears that the government discourages the pursuit of these fools.

I'd wager a guess they dont get pursued because the government is happy to keep paying them pittance..

Both you and Spidermike keep mentioning "the government" as if this was the only government for the last 20 years. There have been previous civilian governments and they didn't do much about police salary increases either.

Both you and Spidermike keep mentioning "the government" as if this was the only government for the last 20 years. There have been previous civilian governments and they didn't do much about police salary increases either.

No shit!!!........i'm sure they gave the reader some intellectual credence!

ah such a heart warming story.. as for the rest of us it's pay up or face the consequences bah.gif

really outstanding, however she may have to watch her back from now on as the crooked cops lost a ton of face and now are laughing stocks! thai's don;t take kindly on loosing face, they only have two!

It's time for the Army to sort out all the police in Thailand, major cause of crime itself. When I see the Police, I see mostly corruption dressed in brown.

I'm sorry but you can't say all police are corrupt. I'm tired of listening to the whining from TV members about the BIB and tea money. There are good and bad cops, end of story.
Spot on! But the bad ones get the most press so it looks like they are in the majority..
If it's a case of just a few bad apples, how is it that "tea money" payments and other assorted extortion schemes, are so universally considered simply a normal business expense here? Do you really think the extortion depicted in this episode is a one-off?? And can you even imagine a "good", honest, non bribe-taking, non bribe-paying, cop with a successful RTP career and rising to the top? How is it that an overwhelming majority of "good" cops can't manage to weed out a "few" bad apples in their own midst? Sermonize all you want about unfair press coverage. What really goes on here is widely understood & tolerated.

I'll wager that even the seriously defamed commander in this story has to tread carefully with his handling of this matter lest he have to too-loudly acknowledge the now obvious and well-publicized corruption in his own command.

Edited by hawker9000

It's time for the Army to sort out all the police in Thailand, major cause of crime itself. When I see the Police, I see mostly corruption dressed in brown.

I'm sorry but you can't say all police are corrupt. I'm tired of listening to the whining from TV members about the BIB and tea money. There are good and bad cops, end of story.
Spot on! But the bad ones get the most press so it looks like they are in the majority..
If it's a case of just a few bad apples, how is it that "tea money" payments and other assorted extortion schemes, are so universally considered simply a normal business expense here? Do you really think the extortion depicted in this episode is a one-off?? And can you even imagine a "good", honest, non bribe-taking, non bribe-paying, cop with a successful RTP career and rising to the top? How is it that an overwhelming majority of "good" cops can't manage to weed out a "few" bad apples in their own midst? Sermonize all you want about unfair press coverage. What really goes on here is widely understood & tolerated.

Yes but it is not that bad as you might think, especially compared to other countries like US or GB, it is just more in the open here and more hidden in the Western world.

Yes but it is not that bad as you might think, especially compared to other countries like US or GB, it is just more in the open here and more hidden in the Western world.

A typical BS "it happens everywhere" apologist deflection attempt.

Impossible to compare Thailand to the US and GB. And yes, corruption is very bad in Thailand. But hey, they are above Tunisia and China! LOL

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015?gclid=CPG73qHZ_80CFUlmGwodMv0C6w#results-table

Alert! Alert! A Newb is tired of the whining!laugh.png

Exactly, and newb "anthony0339" is whining about whiners. Thicken your skin "antony"

A cynic would think it Interesting that a Pattaya bar owner would have the phone number of the RTP chief (who has declared assets of around ฿1 Billion).

That and the hilarious predicament these cops found themselves in are indeed what make this story interesting. Up to that point the incident is so entirely typical it's hardly newswortthy at all. We all know this is simply a routine, bread & butter, periodic collections process and protection racket that goes on constantly. It's on the short list with the world's worst kept secrets.