Speed up police reforms, commissioner tells cops' committee

webfact

Speed up police reforms, commissioner tells cops' committee

s1a.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The commissioner of police has ordered the committee handling the reform of the police to speed up it's operations.

The words have clearly filtered down from the prime minister and deputy prime minister themselves, reported Daily News.

Pongsaphat Pongcharoen who is the head of the police reform committee said that commissioner Chakrathip Chaijinda has instructed him to speed up the reform process in "all departments, all areas and in a full way".

The reforms have been prioritized to take place over a long period but Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and deputy Prawit Wongsuwan want to see the most urgent reforms taking place within a year.

The reform schedule has three stages - one year, five years and 20 years.

The main headings for development are in improved efficiency and improved procedure adopted by the police.

Government wants to see dramatic improvements in national security and peace in the country, action on crime, improved service to the public and greater sense of justice for the public from the grassroots, that is to say police stations, right up through the different echelons of the force.

Among some of ten items slated for quick action Pongsaphat mentioned stopping corruption, improved public relations and involvement of the public, improvements in the use of science and forensics and better training.

The police force was introduced into Siam during the mid 1800s. It's introduction into the country is credited as one of the many major achievements during the reign of King Rama IV.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-20

Even the longest trip starts with one step.

Yes, and they have had two years to take the first baby step, but nothing. The state lottery reform has been a resounding success though!!

Please just stop with the "reforms"...everywhere I look it's <deleted> reforms!! Reform this, reform that. Just stop. :angry: How about a simple straightforward "plan" e.g. We plan to get the police to do their jobs by implementin A,B and C. :rolleyes:

Please just stop with the "reforms"...everywhere I look it's <deleted> reforms!! Reform this, reform that. Just stop. mad.gif How about a simple straightforward "plan" e.g. We plan to get the police to do their jobs by implementin A,B and C. rolleyes.gif

They're on it....trust them!

Fighting police corruption needs a massive political will by the country leader. That person would need to be a man of integrity, honesty and respectability. Sorry Thailand don't have should a leader, not even Thaksin.

And please get a independent commission to report and provide police reforms. Not a committee of corrupt police chiefs. It's like having a committee of thieves discussing how to reduce thiefs.

DPM Prawit: there will be no restructuring in police reform

"BANGKOK, 20 January 2016, (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has stressed there will be no restructuring of the Royal Thai Police force,
and indicated that any plans for reform must create public confidence in the police, and maintain the transparency of its operations."

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPOL5901200010010

coffee1.gif

The proverb is "the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

Have the first step being taken? Well done is better than well said - Benjamin Franklin.

Well PTP didn´t seem to take a step at all, do you think?

post-94947-0-06926000-1469012230_thumb.j

you really have to wonder at their total lack of thought in this process, surely they realize that if they actually made the police go out and start to patrol the roads etc and book all offending motorists that not only would it reduce the deaths on the roads but with all the extra money they would be making they could pay the police a decent wage. I could stand at the corner near us at the lights and there would have to be 100 plus an hour going through red lights alone, no indicators/turn signal used, they could make a fortune at this intersection alone. Thing is, this would require the police to actually do their job which we all know they try their hardest to avoid, maybe the extra money would give them an incentive but they would need personal cams to ensure they didnt try to gain an extra bit on the side to let them off.

Really hope that action results particularly the ENFORCEMENT of laws. Imagine how many lives would be saved if motor cyclists were targeted to make them follow the laws. Helmets, red lights, one way streets, footpaths, kids in arms, weaving in traffic, illegal turns, roads forbidden, underpasses, under age, no license Etc, etc the list is endless. 80% of deaths on Thai roads are motor cyclists and the saddest aspect is that they are mostly Thai youth. What a waste of valuable humanity.

The proverb is "the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

Thanks.But not in my native language.

Same thing though, the principle is the same

A few nights ago I was watching the news in Thai on the television. Some of the things the police spokesman said would seem to explain a lot. People here constantly try to degrade the police and I would say there is room for improvement. I am digressing just a little so getting back to the television interview with the police a statement was made. The statement basically said "the police do their best but do not have the training they need or the equipment to do a really good job". Now maybe, in fact I am sure there will be people here who will criticise this post, well so be it but I would say before you go full charge are condemning the police think about what you could do is you had insufficient training and lacked the tools to do the job. Couple this with low salaries and to be honest I am surprised the police are as good as they are.

On a final note I have seen police having to take the police car to a regular car wash and they have t buy their own gun. Where in the West would such things be the norm? No where.