Savannakhet Survival Guide

Fresh fruits not available?

Except in the night market 2 mins walk from the Avalon and the huge day market 5 mins walk from the bus station.

When one reads total skollboc so early in someones idea of a "guide" one is tempted not to waste any more time on it.

Unfortunately I did.

Edited by Enoon

Mate....those 2 markets have fruits mainly from China and these are heavily laced fruits.

I am recommending based on price quality but understand there may be those after price points only and these are 2 different tangents altogether.

Edited by LawrenceChee
  • Like 1

Very interesting report.

I was in Savannakhet around two weeks ago and visited the That Ing Hang Stupa and bought a lot of French bread for around 50 Baht. I also bought some amulets for around 80 and 180 Baht and of course the cheap Texas and Jonnie cigarettes.

• Like 1

Savanaket is truly one of the most boring places to go for a visa. The food is even worse than in Thailand and that's saying something.

There is a supermarket however. Just down from the Thai consulate is an empty shopping mall and next to it is a smaller mostly empty building with a supermarket. No fresh produce just imported dried noodles,tinned food, snacks, etc from Thailand.

Edited by johninbkk71

Thanks for it :)

I had an interesting experience at Macchiato, more staff than customers around, and when you need something they would turn their heads the other way rounds because they prefere to keep chit-chatting with each other rather than do any works (yes Lao people are way lazier than thai...).

Their supervisors however can speak and understand english and are way better than those time wasters they are hiring, asked for the check-bill 3 times, they make the move to going for it but they disappear into the toilettes outside, what a joke.

I suggest you to try some places into the old town, Cafe Chai-Dee, good food, reasonably cheap and an incredibly attentive service, or the restaurant Chez Boune, more classy but also more expansive and with good food. There is also a place which have good ice creams a few hundred meters out of the bus station, can't remember their name but i think it was something with some "star" in between, cheap but good luck with getting served, this ones also don't like to have their constant break times interrupted by customers....how laozy

• Like 1