Capacity problem with new small laptop computer

nong38

My daughter kindly bought me a HP stream small computer for my birthday, last week a got a message from windows to stay that updates were available so I tried to install them ( I should say at this point that I am in no way computer literate so be understanding) and failed, the message I got was that I needed an extra 5.05gb to install the up dates and all that available on the disk drive was 2.52 and that was after I had removed some programmes that I thought I did not need. The capacity of the only drive on this small machine is just 28.7. Cleainig up the disc feature will not give me the space and the only suggestion from the machine is to get an external drive of 10gb.

It is great surprise to me that the a new machine cannot accept the first updates firstly and secondly if I have to get an external drive of 10gb or more what is it likely to cost me?

I cannot find a HP model number on the machine all that is written is "stream" on the back is 11-r0oona.

Any idea of the cost a hard drive and/or any possible solutions to my problem would be helpful and appreciated, the unit it under guarantee but in the UK and I will be returning there in a couple of weeks.

I am not sure they sell external mechanical drives that small anymore !

You can get 500 GB for less than 2000 baht just about anywhere they have electronics and accessories for computers.

But you can get a USB flash thumb drive also anywhere for very cheap. 16 GB for about 200 baht.

BUt....if you indeed have that little space....a larger external drive is a better investment

Had the same problem with an Acer Netbook that only had a 32 Gb SSD and no HD.

Solved it by adding a tiny 64 Gb USB thumb drive which was small enough that it's barely noticeable when carrying the computer in its pouch. Moved all the media files (those are the storage hogs) over to the 64 Gb USB drive, freeing room on the 32Gb SSD where the operating system resides.

64 Gb thumb drive cost somewhere around 650 baht. It now lives attached to that Acer.

I tried an SD drive, but on the Acer, the SD card sticks out about 1/2" when it's seated and that makes it inconvenient to carry it in its pouch. I was afraid I'd snap off the end of the SD card.

Edited by impulse

The HP Stream r0oona only comes with 32GB drive storage....just loading up Win 10 will probably take around 20GB of that....and if a Win 10 backup recovery image was also included in the Win 10 load (most likely a factory load) then there goes another couple of GB...probably around 3GB. Assuming it also comes with a variety of other programs loaded then that can pretty much fill up 32GB storage pretty quick.

Plus, as the OP found out a Windows updated/upgrade needs X-amount of free storage to manage old and update files during the upgrade. And if the HP was originally manufactured before the Nov 15 major upgrade of Win 10 which was around a 3GB upgrade (much larger than typical updates) then I can easily see how 32GB of storage ain't going to hack it unless unloading more programs/freeing up more space. Of course there can be a danger in unloading programs if they were already activated...because you may not have the original install files to reload the programs....although the programs activation should stick you still may have to reenter the license number.

Probably best if the OP tries to add on some external storage, but of course that makes the notebook less portable as you need to have that external storage device tag along.

HP stream has a total storage capacity of 32GB (that includes OS, Programs, and data) on eMMC DDR3 RAM - not SSD. It makes it super fast, but as you have discovered very limited. It is essentially a web browsing/centric PC. Just add SDcard to resolve storage issues.

I own the 13" and 11" versions.

Thanks for all the advice, when I am next in an IT shop will have a look at the mini sd card and the thumb drive.

Seriously?

You just need to clean the crap off to free up some space.

See above.

Have you seen how little storage he's working with here? Just a tidy up is not going to solve the issue. I'm amazed they sell a computer with such meagre storage.

Thanks for all the advice, when I am next in an IT shop will have a look at the mini sd card and the thumb drive.

Seriously?

You just need to clean the crap off to free up some space.

See above.

Have you seen how little storage he's working with here? Just a tidy up is not going to solve the issue. I'm amazed they sell a computer with such meagre storage.

Yes I have, and the first thing to do is to clean the crap off it!

thumbsup.gif

Added:

Dear OP, did you follow this step after selecting Disk Cleanup?

Click on Clean System files and remove previous Windows installations.

Edited by Chicog

As far as I can see the unit came with windows 10 already on board.

I have bought a 64gb micro sd card (490bts for information), installed it, it now shows up on the machine as disc D. Should now have plenty of room to add the updates, but not so! I am still getting the original message as I need more space. One option is to ad the external drive or another disc, when I look for "another disc" which I now have with the sd card, it says none!!!

Now I am really confused anyone can help me out here, please?

If you have any files, move them all to the new disk. Then run 'disk clean up'. Click on the Windows symbol down in the bottom left corner and type 'disk clean up' in the search box. A menu will appear, click on the clean up and it will run automatically.. If the old windows version is still on the machine you'll be given the option to delete it; choose 'delete'

Edited by Rob13

If you have any files, move them all to the new disk. Then run 'disk clean up'. Click on the Windows symbol down in the bottom left corner and type 'disk clean up' in the search box. A menu will appear, click on the clean up and it will run automatically.. If the old windows version is still on the machine you'll be given the option to delete it; choose 'delete'

The lap top now seems to found the disc D and is installing the updates, so my problems seem to over for the time being anyway!

Thanks for all the advice and help to everyone.

Twice I have suggested that the OP uses "Cleanup System Files" which is on the dialog after selecting Disk Cleanup.

My PC just upgraded to Windows 10 build 14393.

Between Previous Windows Installations and Installation files, I was able to delete 20Gb+.

Now, if the OP hasn't done this, there's nothing more to say really.

coffee1.gif

Twice I have suggested that the OP uses "Cleanup System Files" which is on the dialog after selecting Disk Cleanup.

Between Previous Windows Installations and Installation files, I was able to delete 20Gb+.

coffee1.gif

Tried that twice, still did not give me the space.

The 64gb sd card has failed to solve the problem, everything appeared to be going well so I went out and when I came back had an error message which basically said that there was no space on the sd card for the update.

Take it to the Advice shop tomorrow, this is beyond me.

Thanks again for all the help.

coffee1.gif

Tried that twice, still did not give me the space.

If all you have on there is Windows 10, then you have something in the background eating up space. Your drive is 32gbs, the Windows should take up less than half that.

Open This PC and right click on Drive C.

Do a Disk Cleanup.

You sure you're not invoking some 3rd party software? Right clicking my C drive doesn't bring up an option for Disk Cleanup. Neither is it buried in the /properties/tools tabs on that right click.

Open This PC and right click on Drive C.

Do a Disk Cleanup.

You sure you're not invoking some 3rd party software? Right clicking my C drive doesn't bring up an option for Disk Cleanup. Neither is it buried in the /properties/tools tabs on that right click.

What Windows are you running?

If it's 7, try:

From the Start button menu, choose All Programs→Accessories→System Tools→Disk Cleanup.
Edited by Chicog