Both in the wrong! Netizens outraged as cop filmed accepting bribe from motorist

webfact

Both in the wrong! Netizens outraged as cop filmed accepting bribe from motorist

s3.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A video of a man on a traffic stop who offers a highway traffic cop a bribe has caused much online comment.

Most people agree that the poster of the video who offered the money as well as the policeman himself are in the wrong. And the law backs up that assessment, reported Daily News.

The video ended up on the Facebook site "Youlike" with the tagline "Crystal clear - Cop taking a bribe!"

The forty second segment shows a man preparing money as an officer approaches the car. It is all smiles as the driver says he is going to help a friend whose car has broken down. He shows the officer his driver's license. The incident is believed to have happened on the Chonburi motorway.

Online posters questioned the man's motive in having a hidden camera to film such a thing with many saying that both the man and the cop were in the wrong.

The law provides for a sentence of five years or 10,000 baht fine or both for bribing or attempting to bribe a public official (Statute 144). For the public official this can be a sentence of between 5 and 20 years or even a life sentence in severe cases.

Yet in the latter there is only the prospect of a 2,000 to 4,000 baht fine for violating statute 149.

Reporters had tried to contact the head of the highway police division, Somchai Kaosamran, for comment without success.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuKiolHmfVM

Cameras are now days are everywhere, even in places that once were a taboo and unthinkable you'll find

cameras documenting what's going on, get use to it as this is the age of voyeurism and intrusion

on personal privacy and a domain in whole...... let all those that intend to brake the law be advised.....

A video would be far more helpful than this single photo since it leaves open the complete possibility that when the officer discovered he was handed more than a drivers license that he handed the hidden money back to the driver.

He didn't.. the Police officer smiled and walked away.

A video would be far more helpful than this single photo since it leaves open the complete possibility that when the officer discovered he was handed more than a drivers license that he handed the hidden money back to the driver.

I just saw the video and I can't help thinking what a polite police officer he was in his manners and in allowing the driver the convenience of paying his fine on the spot rather than having to make an appearance at the police station or city hall or traffic court.

;-)

... and even saluted the driver. The cop had just offended the Royal badge on his cap

100 baht.whistling.gif Cheap Charlie.cheesy.gif

This is the price for Thais, pal. Dual pricing at work there too.

I remember being pulled over on my way to work for a futile reason (changing lanes too close to a traffic light) and when reaching my workplace and telling my story, being cheered by my (all Thai) colleagues with "hey, you paid only 100 bahts, you're like a Thai now".

Edited by Lannig

....no mention of anyone being charged though.....

Perhaps that's because this is a Facebook not a police report and they have yet to get involved.

Edited by gdgbb

This is what's wrong this society here. Many will not see neither as wrong or some both. Corruption is so ingrained here many people don't even understand the concept. A daily occurrence on any road here in Thailand.

Strange maybe but when foreigners come to the US I never hear them complaining about why we don't change our habits to their liking.

It is a video?

It is a video?

My computer loaded slow so I didn't realize there was a video straight away.

Far more convenient than having to go to the station.

Assuming the driver had done something wrong........ Often that is not the case. In Thailand they tend to stop those who are doing nothing wrong and ignore those who are, such as those without helmets, overloaded trucks etc. It's a strange country.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

This is what's wrong this society here. Many will not see neither as wrong or some both. Corruption is so ingrained here many people don't even understand the concept. A daily occurrence on any road here in Thailand.

Strange maybe but when foreigners come to the US I never hear them complaining about why we don't change our habits to their liking.

But this society can earn from the US society :cheesy: A society where 13% of people are on antidepressants. A society that only gave the black man equal rights 50 years ago.

If I had a hundred baht for everytime we have slipped a Thai cop money then I would have retired years ago. This is just a normal practice in Thailand and has been that way for over twenty years to my knowledge. Why this should get mentioned is beyond me.