Where is cheap price in Thailand?

ardokano

Ridiculous topic.

Who cares which countries are cheaper than other countries.If a person can't afford to live in a certain country because they find it unaffordable,than move to a more affordable country.

It's that simple.

10 pages of people talking about things that are cheaper in other countries other than Thailand.

A hell of a lot of more important things to worry about on earth than how much something costs.

Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people that they don’t like.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous topic.

Who cares which countries are cheaper than other countries.If a person can't afford to live in a certain country because they find it unaffordable,than move to a more affordable country.

It's that simple.

10 pages of people talking about things that are cheaper in other countries other than Thailand.

A hell of a lot of more important things to worry about on earth than how much something costs.

Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people that they don’t like.

What like the flash car in your profile picture?

What would you like to discuss then?

Ridiculous topic.

It's that simple.

If I had any idea what my profile photo has to do with my comment I could probably answer you.

But as is with this topic, your question is just as ridiculous.

Ridiculous topic.

It's that simple.

If I had any idea what my profile photo has to do with my comment I could probably answer you.

But as is with this topic, your question is just as ridiculous.

you post flash car and must tell us how much your car cost in Hong Kong Rubles! but clean number, eh?gigglem.gif

Does the Thailand Water Authority supply NOT clean water..?....YES or NO...

You said it did, so clarify please...

please stop offtop.

Open topic about water and ask.

Its not topic about good or not good water anywhere...

YOU have conveniently bypassed my question...YOU wrote here about water quality in LOS was not good, UK was OK......Tell us why LOS water supply is not good...

Why you say not true?

I am not wrote any about good or not good quality in LOS..

I say in Thailand not as in HK/UK

"With what coutry you compare?

In HK/UK not have this is qality water. So how you compare?"( C) Ardokano

This is not the first time you have something abusive speculation and misrepresentation

Again tell you in thailand its can be crime

Cheap price in LOS..

Gov supplied water...

Diesel....

No local gov house tax...

Motor garage services....

Bottled household gas...

Electricity (not sure but seems cheap to me)...

Local labour cost for household work...

Cigarettes and beer...

Vegetables....

New House prices in my area...

Electrical goods....Try Makro....

Computer stuff..(look around)....

Computer and printer repairs...(look around)...

Taxi rides....

Bus services...

Clothes...(look around, Tesco sells some good stuff of various non Tesco brands very cheap)....

With what coutry you compare?

In HK/UK not have this is qality water. So how you compare?

So explain this comment before you send the BiB round.......laugh.png

Send the BIB? Why? I don't understand?

Transam pretty much accurately covered things. I don't agree with the cheap beer and cigarettes. If the price of beer and cigarettes is an important consideration, I would suggest that you move to Cambodia. Cambodia is the cheapest all around place to live that I have found. The problem with Thailand is that they appear to be taking lessons from western countries on how to tax the hell out of vice products. The problem with Cambodia is the lack of infrastructure and medical care. A good friend of mine who lived in Cambodia (RIP), said that if you want to see corruption, Cambodia makes Thailand look squeaky clean. I think I'll stay here in Thailand.

I'll add my 2 cents worth.

First, my land & house is cheaper. I have a nice 1 rai lot on a very pretty lake with a mountain on the other side with an absolutely beautiful view. I built a house to a western standard, with hi efficiency A/C's, insulated walls, R34 insulation in the ceiling & and a foam insulated roof, and very nice plumbing & electrical fixtures. The total cost for everything is less than what a similar plot of land would cost back in the US.

About the land - I paid a pittance for transfer tax at the time of purchase, and will NEVER have to pay a yearly property tax, like I would have to pay in the US.

The cost of my truck, at the time of purchase, was equivalent to what I would have paid in the US. Hard to say now, as I haven't been truck shopping. If you have to drive a new Mercedes every year, that's a lifestyle choice, and certainly not a living expense.

Diesel fuel here is usually less than the cost in the US, but again, I haven't checked US prices since the oil market tanked.

The Viriyah insurance on my truck is about a third of what it would cost in the US.

Normal vegetables at the local market are very cheap compared to Western prices. That being said, I want certain US brand products as well. About 2 times a year, I have to make a VIlla Market run. These items are expensive, but why would you expect to pay the same as you would in your home country, considering they have been shipped, literally, half way around the world. Add the duty and that's just the cost of having these items in Asia.

Australian beef here is awful and outrageously expensive. I do buy steaks from the abattoir in Nong Sung. That beef is cross bred with French Charolais cows (I've seen them) and is the best I have found in LOS. US beef is better, but this is acceptable and priced below the cost of prime US beef.

Chicken is incredibly cheap here compared to the US. Pork is about the same to slightly less, I suppose.

Milk & eggs are expensive here. Cheese is outrageous, but again, it comes from the US or Europe, so what do you expect.

Food is by far my largest expense, at 24.8% of the total average monthly living costs.

Electricity is about the same cost as I paid in the US. I run at least 1 AC almost all day, every day (about 9 AM to bedtime, and then sometimes turn on the AC in the bedroom) and even have a clothes dryer. I paid the electric bill yesterday & it was 2630 Bt. ($76.23 US)

Satellite TV, with premium movie channels & sports is less than home. Internet is a lot cheaper. Cell phone expenses are minuscule, compared to Western costs.

I've never been a clothes hound, so my clothing cost is minimal. I do wear Dr. Scholls sandals, & yes, they are expensive, but they will last quite a number of years.

Medicine/prescription drugs are quite a bit less here. I use a Ventolin inhaler for my asthma. I can buy them 10 at a time, if I want to, at any pharmacy, even in small towns, for the equivalent of $7.25 each. In the US they are prescription only, so I have to pay for a doctor visit to get a prescription first ($75 to $100, I'm guessin, now a days) & then the cost of the inhaler at the pharmacy is over $50 each (10 years ago, no idea what the cost would be now) & they'll only sell you one at a time. I thought about shipping these to the US & selling them on line for a hefty profit, but that would land me in jail. You know, Land of the Free and all that crap.

I had an appendectomy here 4 years ago,and the cost was about $4,500 US. In the States, this will set you back $18 to $20,000, if you get surgery in time. If you have health insurance you will still pay your deductible($2000) and then they only cover 80% of the balance, so figuring a deductible and my 20%, my out of pocket cost alone would have been over $5000 US.

After the appendectomy I decided to get health insurance. My last policy, age 59, was $1030 per year, with a deductible of $1300. It covers every hospital in Thailand I would consider going to, even Bumrangrad in BKK. Cost in the US would probably be $6000 per year, for a policy with a $5000 deductible. My health insurance cost will continue to go up, but that is as expected and it's usually about $100 per year. We''ll see what happens when I turn 60. 5555

I live a VERY Western lifestyle here. I eat what I want, drink what I want, which includes Western brand whiskey and gin (I've got to have a martini, every now & then) which by the way, are a lot cheaper here than they are in the US.

I want for nothing, except for a few minor things that just aren't available here. I live in Issan, 30 klicks from a large city with a Makro & a Big C. Land & house are already paid for. In 2015, I spent 41,537 Bt ($1203 ) average, per month for living expenses (I keep a ledger). This year my normal living expenses are down to just 34,403 Bt ($997) per month (don't really know why as my food & liquor/beer costs are up) through July, all the monthly bills are paid, the refrigerator & freezer are stocked as are the beer & booze stores & the truck just so happens to have a full tank of fuel.

Travel is not a living expense, so that is not included in any of my figures.

I will tell you that if you want to live in Bangkok, Phuket or, GOD forbid, Pattaya, your costs will be exponentially higher (ask me how I know this). I lived in the country when I lived in the US & I live in the country here. Life is good, and very quiet. Just like I like it.

I can't imagine going back.

What is the actual topic ?

Ive just re read your OP and Ive no clue what you asking.

In total.

Cheapest or near same price its:

1.Electricity

2. Scooter

3. Some big bike

4. Some truck

5. Few cars( but it so small ammount model so not sure its cansay car cheap in Thailand)

6. Labor cost

7. Fuel(disel,gasoline etc)

8. Rent but its can say nice cheap appartmen with fine quality.

Not really sure what you trying to achieve here, comparing Thailand to the many countries makes it difficult to assess with any clarity.

The parts of Austria & France also Bahrain was the only countries l have been to which l found very expensive.

Me's can only compare Thailand to England as follows :-

1.Electricity.........................England more expensive.

2. Scooter...........................Don't know.....but England insurance, road tax, servicing, fuel more expensive.

3. Some big bike................I'd say about same in price......but England etc, etc same as 2.

4. Some truck.................... Wouldn't know but the truck l bought in Thailand was cheap because of the

exchange rate at the time.

5. Few cars ( but it so small amount model so not sure its can say car cheap in Thailand).....Most Jap models about the same

but again running costs much cheaper as l see it.

6. Labour smile.png cost.........Very, very cheap IMO.

7. Fuel (diesel, gasoline etc)...............Very, very cheap IMO and oil.

8. Rent but its can say nice cheap apartment with fine quality.........Thailand much cheaper than England and more accessible around Thailand IMO.

And Water biggrin.png supply in Thailand to the home is very cheap and apart from occasional switching on of the well pump on our farmland it's free but of coarse both have to be filtered for drinking.
England's water supply you can drink out tap in some places or anywhere if you like the taste of chlorine. whistling.gif biggrin.png

I can't believe that I actually read all 9 pages of this thread. Admittedly, a lot of the posts (especially the OP's) made me laugh out loud (I think there's a 50:50 chance that the OP is trolling).

Some of the claims made by the OP are just downright wrong and misleading. He keeps going on about HK and UK. He talks about DB (Discovery Bay). I lived there from 1990 - 1994 in a 2 bedroom 800 sq ft apartment. I paid IIRC HK 12,000 per month (Thb 54,000). During typhoon season, the rain literally goes through the walls into the apartment. For Thb 35,000 a month, I lived the last two years in a semi luxurious condo at the intersection of Asoke and Sukhumvit (swimming pool, snooker table, car park, security etc etc). I now pay Thb 30,000 for a 2 story 5 + 1 bedroom house with lake view in Bangkok. Also in DB (those days before the MRT went out there), the ferry ride into HK costs HKD 70 each way.

I just bought a small 2 bedroom apartment in Manchester for my daughter. Cost Gbp 175,000 (Thb 8+ million). Just imagine what sort of property one can buy in Thailand for this sort of money.

Had a 55 gallon fish tank custom made recently including stand, filtration system etc. Cost under Thb 10,000 (Gbp 217). Live fish is so cheap that it's almost criminal (a pack of 10 Sumatra firs for 50 baht).

HK is about as expensive as it gets and quality's not the best. Not the cleanest city in the world either.

Ardon, I think I have given you too much to think about, plus I do not understand your replies, so lets take ONE thing at a time and then you can reply....

First...I sold my UK house in 2006 which was on the outskirts of London, ordinary 3 Bed one bathroom house for 310,000 UKP..

At the same time bought land and built a 3 bed house with 3 bathrooms over looking a lake for around 40,000UKP...

Sorry cant compare.

Any can own land in UK.

In Thai NOT.

Even if burn Children and do not want Thai sitizen. After mom(father) thai die.. relatives can legitimately take away. I do not say they Do it. But CAN!!!

YOU are OFF topic, WE are talking about YOU complaining about costs in LOS.

NO. 2

In 2006 UK my house monthly water bill was about 50 UKP, in 2016 in LOS my house monthly water bill is between 5 and 9 UKP....

NO 3 soon, but wait your reply...

Its not same..

Its as say in Thailand click price 1000 UKP. And in UK price C 63 70000..

Ah in UK its 70 time highest.

Please compare same.

Water in UK and In LOS not same!!

So there is diffrent water then there's me thinking it was all wet and comes from sky

I can't believe that I actually read all 9 pages of this thread. Admittedly, a lot of the posts (especially the OP's) made me laugh out loud (I think there's a 50:50 chance that the OP is trolling).

Some of the claims made by the OP are just downright wrong and misleading. He keeps going on about HK and UK. He talks about DB (Discovery Bay). I lived there from 1990 - 1994 in a 2 bedroom 800 sq ft apartment. I paid IIRC HK 12,000 per month (Thb 54,000). During typhoon season, the rain literally goes through the walls into the apartment. For Thb 35,000 a month, I lived the last two years in a semi luxurious condo at the intersection of Asoke and Sukhumvit (swimming pool, snooker table, car park, security etc etc). I now pay Thb 30,000 for a 2 story 5 + 1 bedroom house with lake view in Bangkok. Also in DB (those days before the MRT went out there), the ferry ride into HK costs HKD 70 each way.

I just bought a small 2 bedroom apartment in Manchester for my daughter. Cost Gbp 175,000 (Thb 8+ million). Just imagine what sort of property one can buy in Thailand for this sort of money.

Had a 55 gallon fish tank custom made recently including stand, filtration system etc. Cost under Thb 10,000 (Gbp 217). Live fish is so cheap that it's almost criminal (a pack of 10 Sumatra firs for 50 baht).

HK is about as expensive as it gets and quality's not the best. Not the cleanest city in the world either.

HK its not ckeanest City in the World its TRUE.

But its more cleanest when Bangkok.

DB

Ferry ticket only at night price 52.. normal pruce 37hk.

Where you get 70??

I do no where you rrent in DB.

But i both and sell in DB in past 6 years 3 appartment.

And rent one.

Not any problems with rain.

You compare intersection of Asoke and Sukhumvit whith DB?:)

In DB clean air. No car. No noise,..

As example hillgroove near 200m have tennis court, supermarcket, beach, swimming pool. Many restaraunt.

30 min from Central- Down town.

I can go out from door appartment and go to many place and do not have

It will not be garbage dumps and smelly alleys.

So where you got same in Bangkok for 60k?

So there is diffrent water then there's me thinking it was all wet and comes from sky

it is obvious that your knowledge of chemistry around zero. I can explain to you, but I can not undestand it for you.

Please open topic about water.

At thos is treat its offtop.

First, my land & house is cheaper. I have a nice 1 rai lot on a very pretty lake with a mountain on the other side with an absolutely beautiful view. I built a house to a western standard, with hi efficiency A/C's, insulated walls, R34 insulation in the ceiling & and a foam insulated roof, and very nice plumbing & electrical fixtures. The total cost for everything is less than what a similar plot of land would cost back in the US.

About the land - I paid a pittance for transfer tax at the time of purchase, and will NEVER have to pay a yearly property tax, like I would have to pay in the US.

Your house and land? Are you sure?

The cost of water likely varies a lot depending where you live and how the water gets to your house. We live in a small village and the village charges 3 baht per cubic meter. We use about 500 liters a day so our monthly bill is less than 50 baht per month. Our house sits on 2 1/2 rai. It has a lot of trees so it needs some work to keep it from becoming a thick jungle. One of the village handymen comes around whenever needed and that costs 400 baht for a days work. I doubt you could get a handyman in a western country for 600 baht per hour.

ADDED - I had a condo in Florida about 20 years ago. The monthly maintenance way back then was was $175 per month. Property taxes were also expensive but I can't remember how much. I have a 60 square meter condo in Jomtien and my monthly maintenance is 600 baht per month and no property tax. My friend up here rents a small 2 bedroom house and pays 3,500 baht per month.

Edited by Gary A

it is obvious that your knowledge of chemistry around zero. I can explain to you, but I can not undestand it for you.

Please open topic about water.

At thos is treat its offtop.

Water in my London flat, I filter the tap water, then I drink it.

Water in my San Sai house, I filter the tap water, then I drink it.

It looks the same, tastes the same, so it must be the same .......... but a lot cheaper.

Edited by MissAndry

DB

Where you get 70??

And rent one.

You compare intersection of Asoke and Sukhumvit whith DB?smile.png

As example hillgroove near 200m have tennis court, supermarcket, beach, swimming pool. Many restaraunt.

I thought the OP was ranting about cheap prices, not quality, service , weather, pricing, garbage, blah blah blah,.... yawn.

Oh come on give the guy a break we all know about owning things in Thailand there have been endless posts about it, he means it is his in a way until he pegs it same for me just a figure of speech..

Oh come on give the guy a break we all know about owning things in Thailand there have been endless posts about it, he means it is his in a way until he pegs it same for me just a figure of speech..

Something you can't own is valueless. You can't compare a home in your own country that is yours free and clear to sell at any time, to something in a foreign country in another persons name. Especially if the other person is a criminal of some sort.

Edited by MissAndry

Something you can't own is valueless. You can't compare a home in your own country that is yours free and clear to sell at any time, to something in a foreign country in another persons name. Especially if the other person is a criminal of some sort.

Sorry a strange view of procession you have lost me l have already pointed out the feeling of what many farangies think, the house l live in, is of value it's the land it's on l cannot own but l already knew that before l retired here and anyway it is no important's personally to me anyhow.

Sorry a strange view of procession you have lost me l have already pointed out the feeling of what many farangies think, the house l live in, is of value it's the land it's on l cannot own but l already knew that before l retired here and anyway it is no important's personally to me anyhow.

It's not important until the person who owns it wants you out, then you get to vacate 'voluntarily' or 'commit suicide'.

And yes, I do understand a lot of elderly foreign men have strange fantasies, maybe connected to some form of dementia.

It's just silly to paint a big target on your back.

Edited by MissAndry

OK...I'll bite.

You really don't own your land or house in the US.

If you don't believe me, go a year or 2 without paying the yearly property tax. The local city, town or county will auction it off for the back taxes. Somebody else now owns the property, sort of, unless they don't pay the taxes & you still owe the bank for the loan balance. The city, town or counties tax lien is superior to any other encumbrance, other than a federal IRS lien. Gubbmit ALWAYS gets theirs, and to hell with you.

So, here's what we'll do. I'll never pay property tax here and you never pay property tax on your property back in Farang Land. We'll see who still lives in their house in 3 years time.

As far as your point about the liquidity of the property, I can sell it any time I desire. I've done it once already. Just look at the expense of sale to your Thai companion as a commission.

I don't have any descendants in the US, so what am I going to do with a house there when I die? Same as I'll end up doing here.

And just curious, what's this Bull Sh*t about somebody being a criminal?

It's a crime for a Thai to own a property as proxy for a foreigner.

Therefore anyone who does it must be a criminal QED.

PS

I have no problem paying my property tax in the UK.

DB

Where you get 70??

And rent one.

You compare intersection of Asoke and Sukhumvit whith DB?smile.png

OP, I think you've really lost the plot. Your thread is about "Where is cheap price in Thailand" (apologies to English teachers, I'm just copying and pasting here).

As evidence of your claim, you mentioned DB in HK. It so happens that I lived in DB for 4 years in the early 90's as this was arguably the cheapest place for an expat to live and maintain some sort of a western lifestyle. For the benefit of those that do not know about DB, this was primarily an expat community of about 10,000 persons back in the early 90's. I believe that it houses close to 70,000 residents nowadays. It's located on Lantau Island and in those days, the only way to commute from DB to HK was via the DB ferry which is a journey of between 25 - 40 minutes depending on the vessel (it ranges from single hull death traps to catamarans). There was a "country club" style club which had tennis courts and a swimming pool. In order to book a tennis court, we used to send out maids out early on a Saturday morning in order to book a slot for the following Saturday.

Back in the early 90's, I paid about Thb 54,000 per month for a simple 2 bedroom flat (800 sq ft) consisting of two bedrooms, one bathroom, one kitchen, a combined dining and living room plus a small balcony. I have no idea what such a layout costs nowadays (I could always ask some of my HK staff if I was so inclined).

Compare this to downtown Bangkok where I was paying Thb 35,000 (until 6 months ago) for a 1,200 sq ft condo with swimming pool plus other facilities, at the intersection of Asoke and Suk. A pitching wedge distance away is Terminal 21. From my balcony, I could put my golf ball down onto soi Cowboy. I had hundreds of international cuisines at my doorstep. Within walking distance, Bei Otto for pork knuckle. Queen Vic's for an English breakfast, Landmark for buffet etc etc etc. And the OP is trying to mislead us by saying that Thailand is expensive compared to Hkg.

Furthermore, I was paying the princely sum of HKD 1,500 (Thb 6,700) per month to have a daytime maid (6 hours a day) to come and clean my apartment and feed and walk my dog. I now pay Thb 10,000 (20 years down the road) per month for a fulltime maid to clean my 5+1 bedroom (rented) house plus laundry plus preparing my meals (including shopping and running errands).

OP, you are asking what's cheap in Thailand. You are not discussing about quality of life. Even if you were, I can assure you that dollar for dollar, Thailand offers a better quality of life than most other countries. It's all a matter of whether you are willing to pay for it.

Why not stick to one country when comparing prices rather than a guided tour of the world?

Its as examle..

but you can try any country.. I say just about coutry where i stay..

That's Bulgaria, then? How is that working out for you?

In Thailand, you're expected to "bargain" for most purchases. Many visitors to LOS don't get that, are unwilling to bargain, and assume that this means that prices are higher than they've been told.

Why not stick to one country when comparing prices rather than a guided tour of the world?

Its as examle..

but you can try any country.. I say just about coutry where i stay..

That's Bulgaria, then? How is that working out for you?

In Thailand, you're expected to "bargain" for most purchases. Many visitors to LOS don't get that, are unwilling to bargain, and assume that this means that prices are higher than they've been told.

Bargain? Sure, you can bargain for some things like when shopping at Chatuchak, buying a fake watch in Patpong or renting an apartment etc. But there's no bargaining when buying groceries at Big C or clothes at Emquartier or with the roadside somtam lady.

Any foreigner coming here thinking that they can bargain everywhere is in for a rude shock (having said that, girls on WS are willing to bargain depending on the time of day / month)

It's a crime for a Thai to own a property as proxy for a foreigner.

Therefore anyone who does it must be a criminal QED.

PS

I have no problem paying my property tax in the UK.

Thank you. The majority of TV posters I believe fall into a category of people described by Mark Twain. "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

PS I personally know of smart scammers that have started non profit/churches/other religious organization in California and never paid a dime on the multi millions they've scammed people out of. No property or any other taxes. You just have to get yourself right with God... ;)