Mayor accused of stripping reporter for reporting his engagement to teen

snoop1130

The girl is probably better off with him than a guy her age though. Most Thai girls get married, knocked up and then kicked to the curb when young hubby finds a new young girl to start again.

I have heard many stories about irresponsible boyfriends/husbands abandoning their responsibilities -- but I have rarely witnessed it (even with the ones I heard the stories from). Many play around on the side (and potentially get kicked to the curb), but I have never witnessed any of them abandoning their responsibility to their child.

Well since YOU haven't witnessed it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I don't quite understand the relevance of your post. I, for example, have witnessed it at least 3 times. blink.png

I did not say it does not happen, just I personally have not witnessed it. I have witnessed girls who were divorced say the father is irresponsible and does not support or pay attention to the kids... only to be caught out on the story years later... she still married but she obviously was using a commonly used phrase because that is what she thought he wanted to hear. So you have witnessed it 3 times - out of how many years? It also happens in Canada as well -- in fact my sister who did not press the issue never received support since the kid was 7 (he is now close to 27) - and rarely if ever paid attention to the child..... and that was after fighting to prevent her from taking a job out of province because that would mean he would not be able to see the kid. The only difference is that Canada has reasonably strong laws to make sure at least financial support is provided (if a complaint lodged)... including docking pay at the employer and cancelling / not issuing passports to those that are not up to date.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the difference between him marrying a girl of legal age with her parents consent vs the senior citizen foreigners here in Thailand married to or dating girls young enough to be their granddaughters.

There isn't much difference if people are put off by the age gap.

However the foreign seniors here wouldn't abuse their power to strip a reporter down to his underwear.

another small brain that needs a life lesson and who also thinks he is above the law, this man is a public figure, if he wants his life to be private then he needs to find another job, just as well it wasn't a female reporter - what would he have done then.

Didn't they do stuff like this back in roman times

Now he has all the attention he didn't want and then some. I hope the police get involved or at the very least he loses his job

this is Thailand not the UK get over it,mum and dad got a brand new motor, plus a loads of dosh, girl got a sugar daddy, you lot and your western values. jealousy more like, come on here preaching.best of luck to all involved.its nothing to do with us

it's not about the marraige for me it is the fact that he thinks he can abuse people and get away with it

The fact she is 16 (in farang years) is another discussion

The girl is probably better off with him than a guy her age though. Most Thai girls get married, knocked up and then kicked to the curb when young hubby finds a new young girl to start again.

I have heard many stories about irresponsible boyfriends/husbands abandoning their responsibilities -- but I have rarely witnessed it (even with the ones I heard the stories from). Many play around on the side (and potentially get kicked to the curb), but I have never witnessed any of them abandoning their responsibility to their child.

Well since YOU haven't witnessed it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I don't quite understand the relevance of your post. I, for example, have witnessed it at least 3 times. blink.png

I would estimate that 9 out of every 10 girls that come and work in bars etc have at least 1 child and have been abandoned

this is Thailand not the UK get over it,mum and dad got a brand new motor, plus a loads of dosh, girl got a sugar daddy, you lot and your western values. jealousy more like, come on here preaching.best of luck to all involved.its nothing to do with us

I kinda like my western values...especially the one where parents don't sell their daughters like whores or dogs...

What the difference between him marrying a girl of legal age with her parents consent vs the senior citizen foreigners here in Thailand married to or dating girls young enough to be their granddaughters.

Nothing at all, at least he knows her virtue is intact, the parents have probly been contracted since she was about 12 or 13 to guard her daughter for him. He would have paid for her education and clothing plus an horonium since that time!

It's the Asian way and has worked for a couple of thousand years! smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

You don't get out much then do you? many bar girls are prime examples of this, hell I know a couple of girls from our village whose boyfriends done runners as they didn't want to be burdened with a kid, and then "granny" effectively becomes the baby's mother, so her daughter can go to work.

When I first moved here I was invited to the wedding party of the the head of the civil service. He was in his mid 60s. His first wife was there, his age, his second wife, who was in her 30s, and his new wife, who I believe was 15. They all had their own little house in his compound and he would make the rounds throughout the week. Everyone was very happy for him.

Sounds like he is a Mormon.

Perhaps you should visit Thailand some time. Then just maybe you will find out how often this occurres.

I have been in Thailand for 6 years.
I know of people like yourself who have also been here a short time,and they tend to hardly go out of their moo Bahn. Certainly never inter mix with the Thai's. Sad really! Edited by nontabury

Perhaps you just need to get out more...

Perhaps you should visit Thailand some time. Then just maybe you will find out how often this occurres.

I have been in Thailand for 6 years.

I do know people who have also been here as short time as yourself,and they tend to hardly go out of their moo Bahn. Certainly never inter mix with the Thai's. Sad really!

Well, I don't live in the countryside so that might affect my viewpoint, and I do have a number of Thai friends - a mix (though not the same group) both ends of the political spectrum.

Just sitting having my morning tea (it is compulsory as I am Brit), watching the world go by.

I live in the middle of a small village in Issan, around 250 houses, so I know most of the people here.

The kids are just starting to head off to school as I read your post. From personal knowledge at least 70% of the kids are in the care of their grand parents, their parents working away from home in factories or construction. Out of that number the vast majority have only one parent (mother) their fathers having abondoned all parental resposibility and moved on.

I appreciate that you have "not witnessed" this phenomenon, but I assure you it actually does exist.

You are welcome to visit me, or indeed any other Thai village, and experience this scenario and be enlightened.

I have heard that there are penguins in antarctica, but I have never witnessed them. But I am sure they exist.

Have a nice day.

No evidence, just wild speculation but . . .

Is there mass abandonment issues in Thailand or is Thai culture partially to blame? For instance, if I'm a 16 or 17 year old Thai guy and I knock up one of my local village neighbors and the entire clan starts demanding sin sod and wanting me to support her entire family, well, I might bail on that too.

All things considered, many single Thai men have it pretty easy. But once they get married and the mother-in-law starts digging her claws in, well, he's screwed.

I see this quite often when we visit my wife's town. Her aunt is a slave driver and she has made her husband's entire life revolve around being a personal servant to her mother. I would have ditched that scene a looooooong time ago.

And I see the same thing up and down the soi. I feel sorry for these guys and on more than a few occasions I have stopped by with a cold one just so they can get a break. I don't even know them. And they only know me as the farang married to the girl who lives up the soi. But you know a beaten dog when you see one and you can't help but feel sorry.

Not that there aren't some abusive alcoholic guys out there too. But given the Thai, marry me, marry my family mentality perhaps more than a few of these single moms out there are single because the guy found out he doesn't want to become the family slave.

That he feels his marriage should be kept secret, and that he felt the need to punish the reporter, indicates he's afraid of something. And the jerk has brought more attention to it by this story getting out.

Let's see how long it is before the Mayor is stripped... of office...

but this being Thailand he will probably sue the reporter and Khaosod for defamation...

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 . . . yep, he filed charges against the five reporters (TV will post it soon or you can search for it). He's claiming the reporters barged into his office and interfered with him doing his public duties.

But, he's such a softie, he's told the coppers not to prosecute. He only wants the police report to be on record just in case.

I would estimate that 9 out of every 10 girls that come and work in bars etc have at least 1 child and have been abandoned

I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge on that point Smedly! wink.png

Just sitting having my morning tea (it is compulsory as I am Brit), watching the world go by.

I live in the middle of a small village in Issan, around 250 houses, so I know most of the people here.

The kids are just starting to head off to school as I read your post. From personal knowledge at least 70% of the kids are in the care of their grand parents, their parents working away from home in factories or construction. Out of that number the vast majority have only one parent (mother) their fathers having abondoned all parental resposibility and moved on.

I appreciate that you have "not witnessed" this phenomenon, but I assure you it actually does exist.

You are welcome to visit me, or indeed any other Thai village, and experience this scenario and be enlightened.

I have heard that there are penguins in antarctica, but I have never witnessed them. But I am sure they exist.

Have a nice day.

No evidence, just wild speculation but . . .

Is there mass abandonment issues in Thailand or is Thai culture partially to blame? For instance, if I'm a 16 or 17 year old Thai guy and I knock up one of my local village neighbors and the entire clan starts demanding sin sod and wanting me to support her entire family, well, I might bail on that too.

All things considered, many single Thai men have it pretty easy. But once they get married and the mother-in-law starts digging her claws in, well, he's screwed.

I see this quite often when we visit my wife's town. Her aunt is a slave driver and she has made her husband's entire life revolve around being a personal servant to her mother. I would have ditched that scene a looooooong time ago.

And I see the same thing up and down the soi. I feel sorry for these guys and on more than a few occasions I have stopped by with a cold one just so they can get a break. I don't even know them. And they only know me as the farang married to the girl who lives up the soi. But you know a beaten dog when you see one and you can't help but feel sorry.

Not that there aren't some abusive alcoholic guys out there too. But given the Thai, marry me, marry my family mentality perhaps more than a few of these single moms out there are single because the guy found out he doesn't want to become the family slave.

Good point well made, your observations are as valid as mine.

Fair play.

And how many of you who are castigating Thailand and Thai culture are still willing to spend money to see a Woody Allen film?

I would NEVER EVER pay money to see a Woody Allen film..... but that is probably because I am a pirate tongue.png

That reminds me National Speak like a pirate day is coming up in September I think.... I missed it last year.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

The engagement is a non story in Thailand?

Then why did laughing boy detain and humiliate a reporter over it?

He got engaged to the wrong bint, and its not age related or the fact hes a wannabigamist.

'Ying-yang' Kai Monta that human fecal sculpture come to life is his true soul mate.

Maybe they'll get his n her ajacent cells as hi-so crims.

And how many of you who are castigating Thailand and Thai culture are still willing to spend money to see a Woody Allen film?

Personally, I don't care about either of their nymph proclivities. If it's legal albeit in dubious taste.

Go for your lives, boys.

But Woody has immense talent, And as far as I know. Never kidnapped the press, as tempting as it might often be.

This clown has Thai hi-so syndrome. That's way uglier than his barely legal shenanigans in my book.

Edited by dhream

The engagement is a non story in Thailand?

Then why did laughing boy detain and humiliate a reporter over it?

He got engaged to the wrong bint, and its not age related or the fact hes a wannabigamist.

'Ying-yang' Kai Monta that human fecal sculpture come to life is his true soul mate.

Maybe they'll get his n her ajacent cells as hi-so crims.

It is not a non-story. In fact what the mayor did with regards to marrying a 17 year old is very very wrong by Thai standards. Now if she were just setup as a "mai noi" regardless of whether he was married or not -- that would have been the normal way to do things. It is not that she is too young, it is that he is being very visible in being associated with someone beneath him (in more ways than one) tongue.png

I agree, pukeworthy as it is (I wouldn't want him rolling over my daughter, would you?), but the point here is how the mayor reacted to it being covered by his OWN people and the abuse inflicted on a Thai. So, yes, F all to do with us really.