New passport, can they see my past?

Hi all,

Right now I'm living for 1 year and 3 months in Asia. Around 11/12 months in Thailand, the other 3/4 months around Thailand. All the time I stayed here as a tourist. I had during that time in Thailand 3 SETV, 2 of them I extended. The rest of the time I had visa exemptions. It means I stayed here around 2/3 months on visa exemptions, the rest with visas.

In september I'm going back to Holland and there I will get a new passport. After 2 weeks I will fly back with that new passport and I will come in with a visa exemption(thats the plan)

My question is, is it possible that they will deny me because they can see my history from my old passport?

• It is likely that your new passport will be linked to your old and that the IO will see your entry history.

It's rare that anyone qualifying for visa exempt entry gets denied entry at the airport.

If you have a history of visa exempt entries they may question you about what you do in Thailand, and or insist that you get a visa next time.

It's a good idea to have a min of 10K baht and an onward ticket dated within 30 days.

You might not be able to board the flight without an onward ticket.

• Like 1

I also have a Dutch passport and about the same amount of visas and visa exempts as you.

I did not get a new passport, as I was too lazy to get a visa in Europe.

I was stamped in at Suvarnabhumi without any questions, discussions, not even a suspicious look from the officer. :-)

When you receive a new Dutch passport there will be a notice on the page next to your picture, that states "this passport has been issued to replace passport no xxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

Since when - he will have a new European passport like everyone else and I have just got one and there is absolutely no mention of my old passport number!

Can immigration see if you have a new passport? Answer yes.

I had problems with Thai police/ court. Matter resolved.

I went back to the UK. Got a new passport (old 1 full).

Came back to Thailand immigration officer Ohh you have a different passport.

Yes my old passport was full, showed my old cancelled passport, ok no problem.

It was in the system so it came up that i was using a new passport

When you receive a new Dutch passport there will be a notice on the page next to your picture, that states "this passport has been issued to replace passport no xxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

Since when - he will have a new European passport like everyone else and I have just got one and there is absolutely no mention of my old passport number!

Some countries do reference old passports. But it doesn't matter one way or the other as the passports are linked/found on the immigration system by name, date of birth and nationality.

From my understanding, your Visa history is logged for sure.

I recently applied for a marriage visa extension and i had an interview with an immigration officer.. she was informed about my whole visa history, also from the previous passport.

Question is if the IO's at the airport can see the history. Or if the complete history of previous passports is reserved to some higher ranking officers or require higher permission levels.

• Like 1

take a non immigrant a- o multiply entry , the easy option to stay longer , i found that all these short time visas / exempts etc always stressed me because of the permanebt deadlines a few weeks ahead.,so if have one year all easy

I dont know if thats only for dutch passport because i just checked my latest passport and there is no page where there is a notice like that. I hold a danish passport.

My older British passports had a "notes" section. No longer do. Passport has a chip in it now so assume relative info would be on that. Why anyone thinks replacing a passport deletes their history is a mystery to me.

Current British passports (since 2011 at least) in fact do have an "official observations" page. If the passport is replacing a lost or stolen one the details are mentioned on that page. If it is just a regular replacement then it is not noted.

I dont know if thats only for dutch passport because i just checked my latest passport and there is no page where there is a notice like that. I hold a danish passport.
My older British passports had a "notes" section. No longer do. Passport has a chip in it now so assume relative info would be on that. Why anyone thinks replacing a passport deletes their history is a mystery to me.

Current British passports (since 2011 at least) in fact do have an "official observations" page. If the passport is replacing a lost or stolen one the details are mentioned on that page. If it is just a regular replacement then it is not noted.

Just checked mine. The official observations page is the chip.

I recently applied for a marriage visa extension and i had an interview with an immigration officer.. she was informed about my whole visa history, also from the previous passport.

Question is if the IO's at the airport can see the history. Or if the complete history of previous passports is reserved to some higher ranking officers or require higher permission levels.

I can imagine that your visa history is recorded, but I have doubts (only my opinion) that the previous passports are actually linked.

Reasons being - When I last got a new passport, Thai immigration had to physically put a stamp in the new passport that referenced the original visa (12 years ago) in another passport, they then had to stamp in another stamp to show that there was another passport transferring the visa.

Now all of this is recorded by stamps in my third passport, and when I went to immigration today for a re-entry permit, they had a passport scanner that they used, but had to ask me in which city and country my original visa was issued! (So it seems that this information is not yet linked)

On another note, I was given that new form to fill in today - the one about online accounts etc. (This was Chiang Mai Immigration) They told me to ignore the first sections, I completely made an arse of the Home Address section which was supposed to be home country address (I put my Thai one)

I have no mobile or Line ID's, and I totally forgot to fill in any of the info on the reverse side! ( I didn't look) The girl from immigration spotted this and simply asked me to sign the bottom of the reverse side, they did not ask for a photo or anything else, seemed like they couldn't care less.

I can imagine that your visa history is recorded, but I have doubts (only my opinion) that the previous passports are actually linked.

Reasons being - When I last got a new passport, Thai immigration had to physically put a stamp in the new passport that referenced the original visa (12 years ago) in another passport, they then had to stamp in another stamp to show that there was another passport transferring the visa.

Now all of this is recorded by stamps in my third passport, and when I went to immigration today for a re-entry permit, they had a passport scanner that they used, but had to ask me in which city and country my original visa was issued! (So it seems that this information is not yet linked)

On another note, I was given that new form to fill in today - the one about online accounts etc. (This was Chiang Mai Immigration) They told me to ignore the first sections, I completely made an arse of the Home Address section which was supposed to be home country address (I put my Thai one)

I have no mobile or Line ID's, and I totally forgot to fill in any of the info on the reverse side! ( I didn't look) The girl from immigration spotted this and simply asked me to sign the bottom of the reverse side, they did not ask for a photo or anything else, seemed like they couldn't care less.

Immigration does not put any info about a visa in their database other than the visa type.

There is certainly a linkage of a persons history of entries, departures and etc done between passports. There are probably many people that learned about it the hard way. If they didn't have a linkage every person that has been blacklisted could enter the country after getting a new passport.

• Like 1

When I went to Imigration to transfer my Visa they put numerous info/stamps in my new Passport about previous Visas.

As far as I am led to believe the chip in a UK Passport only confirms the details which are in the Passport.

• Like 1

You are probably worrying to much.

Ehen you get a new passport it can be linked with your old passport,

But this information is not usually available to the average immigration officer looking at tourists coming through an immigration queue at the airport.

However, neither is the old data simply forgotten.

There are levels of authorization, and not everyone is authorized to see all the information.

In today's interconnected information grid, that is a reality.

For most people it doesn't mean anything.

As an example here is what happened to me in the last year or so.

In may 2015 my old U.S. passport was almost expired, (they are good for 10 years) so I got a new passport here in Bangkok at the U,S, embassy.

Now I get a government pension form the U.S.

I use my passport as my I.D. with Bangkok Bank to identify myself when I collect that pension each month.

about 6 months after I got my new passport, the girl at the bank said to me, "Your records still show your old passport number in the database. You should go down to your bank branch office, and change your record to show your new passport number instead of the old number.".

I did that, and since I had also moved my residence about 3 years ago, they also changed my address and my telephone number in their records.

Now there are two ways to look at that, either you can be paranoid and worry how they got the new info, or you could just realise it is just an effort to keep customer contact information current so they can contact you if required for some reason.

Whichever way you wish to look at it, things are interconnected today in the interlocking grid of databases.

• Like 2

My Dutch passport of 2 years old definitely states the old number on the page after my personal details.

OP, your situation is not as bad as you think. Mine was a mess like this for over 4 years, with a single entry B visa in-between and an under the table bought ED visa. This is when you really get denied entry.

Immigration does not put any info about a visa in their database other than the visa type.

There is certainly a linkage of a persons history of entries, departures and etc done between passports. There are probably many people that learned about it the hard way. If they didn't have a linkage every person that has been blacklisted could enter the country after getting a new passport.

I can just imagine them linking multiple passports to their 1 million trees worth of quadruple stacks of paperwork that they collect at immigration, all of those double and triple carbon paper handwritten notes! It will never happen.

I would have thought that the easiest way to do this is to leave Thailand, apply for a new passport, then "lose it" before entering Thailand again, apply for a new passport and give it a try - This was the advice I was given by my Chinese / Hong Kong Employer, and believe me, the Chinese are way ahead of the Thais in watching people.

Be interesting to see what they actually put in their database to be honest as most of the info they collect is written by hand and will probably never see the light of day again after you spend needless hours of filling in stupid pieces of paper in duplicate over and over again. They have probably cut down 10 fully grown trees to record my extensions of stay......what do they do with them? Rip them into three pieces and use the other side for confirmation of other peoples 90 day reports? I could post a few of my reports that they sent back with the other side giving peoples work permit and passport details! Disgraceful!

• Like 1

It's actually a good idea that they reference the replaced passport, but I've never had that in any of my passports (2 countries), nor my wife's passport.

A new passport has two advantages:

1. One can apply for new Tourist Visas at nearby consulates after you reached a consulate's arbitrary limit, in the old passport.
  2. Entering Thailand is faster, because the I/O at the checkpoint doesn't have as many pages to review - they seem to examine every used page and every stamp on each of them, sometimes.

I am not sure if an I/O can tell what class/sub-class of visas you had in the past from what is on their screen, or only your previous entry and exit dates.

For a Dutch passport at least from May 2015 (when I got mine)

You are probably worrying to much.

Ehen you get a new passport it can be linked with your old passport,

But this information is not usually available to the average immigration officer looking at tourists coming through an immigration queue at the airport.

However, neither is the old data simply forgotten.

There are levels of authorization, and not everyone is authorized to see all the information.

In today's interconnected information grid, that is a reality.

For most people it doesn't mean anything.

As an example here is what happened to me in the last year or so.

In may 2015 my old U.S. passport was almost expired, (they are good for 10 years) so I got a new passport here in Bangkok at the U,S, embassy.

Now I get a government pension form the U.S.

I use my passport as my I.D. with Bangkok Bank to identify myself when I collect that pension each month.

about 6 months after I got my new passport, the girl at the bank said to me, "Your records still show your old passport number in the database. You should go down to your bank branch office, and change your record to show your new passport number instead of the old number.".

I did that, and since I had also moved my residence about 3 years ago, they also changed my address and my telephone number in their records.

Now there are two ways to look at that, either you can be paranoid and worry how they got the new info, or you could just realise it is just an effort to keep customer contact information current so they can contact you if required for some reason.

Whichever way you wish to look at it, things are interconnected today in the interlocking grid of databases.

As said before for a Dutch passport the data is mentioned in the passport and available for any immigration officer.

Just checked mine. The official observations page is the chip.

The observations page was moved to the front of the passport and is an image of your face which when magnified gives all your basic details. The chip has been embedded in the back cover, not in the observations page.

I have an English passport which I used to visit and stay in Thailand, but applied for an Irish pasport (anyone whose parent or grandparent was born in Ireland, is/was entitled to an Irish passport). When I arrived at Bangkok airport and produced the Irish passport, the immigration officer's computer flagged up I had an English passport. I was photographed and allowed through. I think (but am not sure) that when the immigration officer keys in your name and birthdate, it searches through multiple databases in a couple of seconds, and as there are relatively few people with a Christian, middle and surnames which match their date of birth, the photos of all holders of such passports are displayed on the officer's computer.