Public warned as doctor cries foul after falling for online PayPal con

webfact

Public warned as doctor cries foul after falling for online PayPal con

s3.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A well known author who is a police hospital doctor has complained to his colleagues after being conned out of 50,000 baht in an online scam.

Members of the public have been warned to watch out for the gang who have set up elaborate deceptions to make it appear that they represent the company PayPal used in transferring money, reported Daily News.

Dr Pai - otherwise known as Piyapong Sakhornyen - is a leading forensics professional at the Police Hospital and author of the book "Mor Jep" (A doctor in pain).

He made a complaint to the Crime Suppression Division's computer crimes section regarding an advertisement that he put online to sell a designer bag for 122,000 baht.

A person emailed him claiming to be a prospective buyer.

Confirmation came through an email that the money had been paid but too much had been remitted. The doctor fell into the trap and returned 19,000 baht or 500US dollars thinking he had really received the money.

A further request for 800US dollars was also paid in connection with insuring the item that was for sale.

When another request came the penny dropped and the doctor saw that he had been tricked into parting with money and that none had actually been paid in the first place.

He warned the public to be careful about believing claims made in emails and to always contact the PayPal company at their centre directly in the event of queries.

Police are investigating the scam and accept that the prospective buyer and the people claiming to represent PayPal are one and the same gang members.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-28

A cursory check of his PayPal account would have stopped this from happening. I wonder if other news stories will have a comment from a government official saying that their online payment system is safer, more secure etc.

Confirmation came through an email that the money had been paid but too much had been remitted. The doctor fell into the trap and returned 19,000 baht or 500US dollars thinking he had really received the money.

A further request for 800US dollars was also paid in connection with insuring the item that was for sale.

When another request came the penny dropped and the doctor saw that he had been tricked into parting with money and that none had actually been paid in the first place.

Fool me once, fool me twice, but I'm too smart to be fooled three times.

Those crooks are probably doing it to thousands of people every day, and every now and than they

catch a fish, silly fish in this case,

I get many phishing emails telling and warning me that my PayPal account should be re visited and more

details needed and if I don't comply, my account will be closed.........

Was the buyer from Nigeria, Thailand seems to be a great

place to set up all kinds of scams,just offer high returns and

the cash flows in.common sense and greed do not mix.

regards worgeordie

These scams have been doing the rounds for years, nothing new. Ebay, Kaidee etc. The scam usually involves some plausible reason for paying you more than the advertised price.

If it seems to good to be true, It is.

These scams have been doing the rounds for years, nothing new. Ebay, Kaidee etc. The scam usually involves some plausible reason for paying you more than the advertised price.

I can understand if the scammers used a bogus Paypal site to get the persons account information but that does not seem to be what is implied here or maybe it is just the way the report is written.

It seems that he transferred the money from his paypal account to refund an bogus payment and overpayment, he would have had to log in to paypal to do this which means he should have clearly seen all recent transactions and the fact that there weren't any....weird

I can understand if the scammers used a bogus Paypal site to get the persons account information but that does not seem to be what is implied here or maybe it is just the way the report is written.

It seems that he transferred the money from his paypal account to refund an bogus payment and overpayment, he would have had to log in to paypal to do this which means he should have clearly seen all recent transactions and the fact that there weren't any....weird

It goes something along the lines of, Paypal is trying to send you money. (to send $200 for your $100 item), But paypal cant send it until you get insurance, pay an admin fee, etc etc. Usually an official looking fake email from Paypal, bank etc.

As has been mentioned on here for years......common sense here is not so common.......a doctor no less, who doesn't think to check his affairs.........

Wouldn't like to see him in the OR!!

Common sense isn't more or less common here than it is in any other country in the world

Westerners fall for phishing, boiler room and timeshare scams left, right and center.

PayPal.con

but really, if he has done it through his real account, and on a real PayPal.coM site, then all he does is raisea Case, citing all the emals so far, submit a copy of his Police Report, and he'll get it back.

If it was on a real site, then PayPal will wear the costs

Had he understood how Paypal works he would never have responded in the way that he did. He should have checked his Paypal account to see whether he had in fact received the payment. Taking 15 seconds to login would have confirmed that no money had been received. The problem (again) is the user and not the system (in this case, Paypal).

Fool me once, fool me twice, but I'm too smart to be fooled three times.

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, 'fool me once... shame on... ... shame on you... ... ... fool me, you can't get fooled again.'

Had he understood how Paypal works he would never have responded in the way that he did. He should have checked his Paypal account to see whether he had in fact received the payment. Taking 15 seconds to login would have confirmed that no money had been received. The problem (again) is the user and not the system (in this case, Paypal).

"The problem (again) is the user and not the system (in this case, Paypal)."

It's likely that you also would fall for this type of con if you think PayPal was involved in this

PayPal.con

but really, if he has done it through his real account, and on a real PayPal.coM site, then all he does is raisea Case, citing all the emals so far, submit a copy of his Police Report, and he'll get it back.

Think you missed the major part of this story...

I had two phishing emails in my inbox this morning.

Purporting to be from PayPal they stated there had been unusual activity on my account and I should log in to sort it out.

I've probably had about ten similar emails previously.

AS I've never used PayPal, even though I joined about 15 or so years ago, I was not likely to fall for it.

These scam guys are pretty slick at duping people, and usually cashing in on their greed which tends to blind people. I was working for a lawyer and his wife, and they had received a certified check for $10,000 with a promise of more than $50,000 to come. They only had to send $4,000 back to show good faith. I had a difficult time convincing them that the check they received was bogus, as they wanted to believe it was real as they mumbled about paying off their mortgage with the big check. Of course there wasn't any money in the bank because it took ten days or more for the check to bounce. Meanwhile they were inundated with phone calls pressuring them to send the $4,000 to them, and even threatening them because you have our $10,000. Eventually they brains kicked into gear and they realized it was a scam.

Another was a lawyer buying a very high end Porsche sight unseen for around $50,000 cheaper than normal. So he wired around a $100,000 to a NY bank......minutes after wiring the money his brain kicked into gear and he called the NY bank to hold the money. They responded that the money was gone within two minutes to an Eastern European bank.......bye bye money and no Porsche.

The common Craigslist one in America was a low price car or bike or camper.....when you contacted them they were usually in the US military posted to Europe. But their brother would handle everything through their Paypal account, (bogus website that looks real) and the vehicle would be delivered by brother or delivery company. When I asked where I could see the vehicle, it was usually in some remote state like Nebraska. So I would tell them I lived in the next state and could pop over to see it.....and that would be the end of all emails from them. Sometimes the names they used would be a tipoff. One was an American sergeant....when I did a search he had been killed in Iraq. Another name sounded familiar to me....when I searched he was a English poet from WWI. Not very original, but probably either Russians or Nigerians with not a great knowledge of American or English names.

PayPal.con

Think you missed the major part of this story...

...responding to an email, an email, in this case, is not necessarily a real PayPal message

I get mirrored emails of anything ebay or paypal related. That doesn't mean I dumbly respond to that 'email' - I go back to the PayPal and look at the real thing

as many have said in this thread, HE the buyer is the one who didn't read everything

was he simply sending money through to a PayPal buyer's email payment address

any supposed payment TO his address, stands out quite differently on his oayPal history, differently to a Purchase entry in the History

I guess in the past he always used Western Union facepalm.gif

His main problem in getting satisfaction back from PayPal, is that they see he is in Thailand, which is not a trusted location in PayPal's eyes

"The problem (again) is the user and not the system (in this case, Paypal)."

It's likely that you also would fall for this type of con if you think PayPal was involved in this

No, it isn't.