French Tourist Brutally Beaten by Pattaya Motorbike Taxi Drivers

webfact

So the situation has nothing to do with the hopped-up thug motorcycle taxi drivers, but they see an opportunity to act like a pack of cowardly dogs and do the usual 5 or 6 on one gang attack. I guess these types do this kind of thing because every morning when they wake up and take their yaba, they know they're nothing more than human garbage and it infuriates them -- always some quest for cowardly violence brewing inside them.

Its almost as if they seethe with hate against farang and just await the chance they can seriously harm one of us.

I read your post after I posted similar above. You hit the nail on the head. Their hate is like a pressure cooker, waiting to explode at any given opportunity. Any Farang causing trouble and/or raising his voice is the perfect opportunity.

I don't agree.

I meet many nice Thais in both Pattaya and other places, non violent persons.

So you've met many nice Thais have you? Take some of those nice Thais and have a small disagreement or argument over something trivial. You'll see them turn into devils in a second. That's when you become aware of your place here.

You're only tolerated. I'm surprised you haven't learnt more in 15 years. Sometimes it takes awhile.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Pattaya, I hate what it has become. It is way overbuilt; prone to violence; an attraction for criminals of every form; and just generally a place where the fun is gone and Thai people have become quite unfriendly. I had my honeymoon there almost 45 years ago when it as the most beautiful and pristine place on earth filled with friendly, smiling Thai people who actually liked to help tourists. What I seen now is just the opposite- mostly due to greed by both Thais and foreigners as well as the criminal element that is allowed to dwell without any control. When people ask me where there is a nice place to visit in Thailand- Pattaya is not on the list. Why would I want to recommend a place filled with scammers; thieving ladyboys; polluted waters and generally unfriendly local people. They did it to themselves-and as we say- the chickens have come home to roost.

I don't think it has much to do with being "overbuilt". I find Bangkok friendlier than Pattaya, and that's very built up.biggrin.png

If anything it's probably because of the population density of foreigners in Pattaya. They get more of an attitude because they meet so many. It's complicated because foreigners here come from all over the planet - all with distinct personality traits.

Just another reason for me and family to stay away from Pattaya.

Anywhere in Thailand it's same same same

Really? And have you been everywhere in Thailand?

I have been coming to Thailand, working here and now retired to rural Khampaeng Phet for 23 years and I haven't seen that much violence against farangs and certainly not here where I live.

Perhaps it is me because I don't go to places like Pattaya or the rougher areas of BKK, CM etc. Sure I am old at 72 but I wouldn't get myself into a position where that could happen to me. I have found that talking quietly, smiling a lot and speaking the best Thai that I can gets me a long way in Thailand and tends to keep me out of trouble.

Statistics are a joke and always have been;

Easy to manipulate numbers any way you

Choose. Is Thailand moe dangerous than

6 years ago for Foreigners, observation by

Those who live here....YES !!!

Another observation from someone who has lived here for a long time.

NO it isn't.

BUT it depends on where you are, who you are and who you think you are, and what you are doing at the time.

If you are in a bad area, you think that you are bigger, bolder and braver than anyone else and you are a little drunk and argumentative, you could well have a big problem in which you will probably lose out.

Just another reason for me and family to stay away from Pattaya.

Anywhere in Thailand it's same same same

Really? And have you been everywhere in Thailand?

I have been coming to Thailand, working here and now retired to rural Khampaeng Phet for 23 years and I haven't seen that much violence against farangs and certainly not here where I live.

Perhaps it is me because I don't go to places like Pattaya or the rougher areas of BKK, CM etc. Sure I am old at 72 but I wouldn't get myself into a position where that could happen to me. I have found that talking quietly, smiling a lot and speaking the best Thai that I can gets me a long way in Thailand and tends to keep me out of trouble.

I agree your methods will work. If you want to avoid a bashing in Thailand, be very careful where you go and be on your best behaviour at all times. Be sure to smile as much as possible and never raise your voice. If anyone tries to rip you off, just pay and walk away quietly and don't forget to smile. As an extra precaution, say thank you.smile.png

The "Seasoned" response from those of us who have been here a while, would have been to sum up the situation, and just pay the Baht 1000, the consequences could have been a lot worse, I am not suggesting in this case that the victim lost his cool, but it has been known, that does not excuse the way the Thai's acted, but there are a whole new set of rules that foreigners should learn if they want a stress free holiday/ life here.

The dispute was over 300 baht.

According to both articles the dispute was over 1000 baht deposit money

8:30 at night?

62-year old man?

Group of motorbike taxi drivers particpate in a "beat down" that leaves farang with serious head injuries.

This is why I tell everyone I know in the US to never visit Thailand.

Even if the damage to the motorbike is true, and there are many instances of this type of scam, the resulting actions are criminal.

Lesson to all farang: Smile. Be apolite. Get the police involved.

The police will accept the fine from you and hold it to make sure everything is honest! So you are paying and your not getting the money back. You should not add getting beat-up to the experience. If the Thai Tourism big time in charge lady would clean up crap like this the tourist would return in droves.

In any case I don't want to justify violence against foreigners, but I would like to share my experience I had a few years ago at Villa Market in Pattaya. I was shopping at the bakery shop when I noticed an angry French shopping as well. He used to speak with a very heavy accent in Thai to the cashiers demanding to purchase various items. The poor girls couldn't understand what he wanted. So he became very disrespectful asking them in Thai " Can't you understand Thai, I want this, this and that...!" His voice and his behaviour was outrageous. The cashiers were gobsmacked. I felt embarrassed for his behaviour. What a nutcase!

I am bringing this example to show that not always Thais are at fault. Some foreigners are really looking to get into confrontations and they really deserve to get some beating. We are humans, and there are <deleted> in any race or nationality!

Awareness that there are substantial numbers of Thai people, and particularly angry young Thai men, who hate farangs (and likely all foreigners) is something people should be aware of when coming to Thailand.

Just as there are likely many young men in your home country who feel the same about non-whites and arent afraid to act on it.

The difference is that most farang are treated far better in Thailand than any Thai/non-white person would be in your home country and other predominantly white/euro countries.

This is an international forum, but you're making the assumption that all members here come from "white countries" and should understand what is going on in your country. Africans, Asians etc all read and post on here.

Having said that, non-white, indigenous people are treated very well in my home countries. Thais are also treated better than they treat us here and have more rights, especially if they're being scammed, AND the police are not corrupt and take complaints of tourists being mistreated very seriously. If my home countrymen beat a tourist this badly they most certainly would do time. It wouldn't make much difference who started it. A gang bashing of a 62 year old man is a very serious offense. The prosecutors would be going for attempted murder, and that's not far fetched at all.

Edited by tropo

I don't know about the fight, but the guy deserved a thorough tongue lashing for wearing that shirt in public.

Mom would have kicked my ass if she saw photos of me dressed like that in public.

thumbsup.gif You beat me biggrin.png

Out of curiosity:

What if a similar thing occurred where 5 Thai Men started attacking a Foreign Man, and the Foreigner fought back? To the point that he was able to disable/seriously injure the 5 attackers? Would he face serious charges by the police, or would self-defense be a viable plea?

62 year old man, Head smashed in by motor cycle taxi mob.

Jail the lot for 2-3 years.

Packs of Thai thugs, assaulting tourists it shows the level we have reached in pattaya, of no fear prosecution.

Let scum get away with this, and soon it becomes the norm, we are now at the norm now.

Good job Pattaya, you promote that special image to all. hit-the-fan.gifhit-the-fan.gifhit-the-fan.gif

And some Muppet's still think over staying your visa is an issue in pattaya . cheesy.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif

The shop owner decided to charge 300 baht because his time was wasted..I am sure that will piss most people off especially if you were accused of time wasting and you weren't

The French tourist agreed to a 3 day rental and a ride to the airport. The next day, returned the scooter, got into an argument and cancelled the airport transfer. The shop owner decided to keep 300 Baht. Hard to argue with the shop owner. A verbal contract was changed.

You're right, someone who changes his mind to order a taxi for whatever reason that may be, deserves to end up in hospital. coffee1.gif

In any case I don't want to justify violence against foreigners, but I would like to share my experience I had a few years ago at Villa Market in Pattaya. I was shopping at the bakery shop when I noticed an angry French shopping as well. He used to speak with a very heavy accent in Thai to the cashiers demanding to purchase various items. The poor girls couldn't understand what he wanted. So he became very disrespectful asking them in Thai " Can't you understand Thai, I want this, this and that...!" His voice and his behaviour was outrageous. The cashiers were gobsmacked. I felt embarrassed for his behaviour. What a nutcase!

I am bringing this example to show that not always Thais are at fault. Some foreigners are really looking to get into confrontations and they really deserve to get some beating. We are humans, and there are <deleted> in any race or nationality!

That's being a bit harsh on the French don't you think? You observed a rude Frenchman in Villa Market and therefore concluded that another Frenchman probably deserved a gang bashing, resulting in severe head injuries.

What if the victim was an Icelander (for example) and you hadn't observed any rude behaviour by Icelanders recently? Would he get a pass.

The gang of Thais who bashed this Frenchman are guilty. There is no reasonable excuse for their behaviour, even if the Frenchman was rude, which you deem quite likely due to your observations of Frenchmen.

I would like to read just one time when 6 Thai,s are beating on a one farang that 5 farang,s jump in and beat the Thai,s silly. I would love to read a story of some Thai,s being beat senseless.by farang,s in self defense.

I like to regularly read the story of that Mark Pendlebury, he got attacked by a group of thug bouncers, fought back and stabbed one of them, killed him, and charges were dropped because it was self defence. My all time favorite Thai news story.

And all this for 25EU?..... If you are worry about that kind of money better not deal with Thais...men or women.

Just aguess here but its doubtful that many farang tourist have any knowledge of this Thai habit of using farang for Muay Thai practice.

So the situation has nothing to do with the hopped-up thug motorcycle taxi drivers, but they see an opportunity to act like a pack of cowardly dogs and do the usual 5 or 6 on one gang attack. I guess these types do this kind of thing because every morning when they wake up and take their yaba, they know they're nothing more than human garbage and it infuriates them -- always some quest for cowardly violence brewing inside them.

Its almost as if they seethe with hate against farang and just await the chance they can seriously harm one of us.

It does look that way doesn't it.

The "Seasoned" response from those of us who have been here a while, would have been to sum up the situation, and just pay the Baht 1000, the consequences could have been a lot worse, I am not suggesting in this case that the victim lost his cool, but it has been known, that does not excuse the way the Thai's acted, but there are a whole new set of rules that foreigners should learn if they want a stress free holiday/ life here.

The dispute was over 300 baht.

According to the scum who, with his mates, beat up a 62 year old man.

I'm thinking this piece of scum is a lying &lt;deleted&gt;.

8:30 at night?

62-year old man?

Group of motorbike taxi drivers particpate in a "beat down" that leaves farang with serious head injuries.

This is why I tell everyone I know in the US to never visit Thailand.

Even if the damage to the motorbike is true, and there are many instances of this type of scam, the resulting actions are criminal.

Lesson to all farang: Smile. Be apolite. Get the police involved.

I used to tell friends to come to Thailand, that was many years ago, now I advise people not to come to Thailand, everyone has to their bit for T.A.T.

Once upon a time I had a physical altercation with a Motorcycle guy and I left him with a big fat, bruised and bleeding lip.

Fortunately it was a one on one situation while the guy deserved what he got .......after....( repeat after ).... laying his hands on me and threatening to "box me up" ..Muay Thai style.......after "forcefully demanding" I pay him more money than the previously negotiated and agreed upon motorcycle taxi fare.

Long story short .....Surprise, surprise for him, while I laid a beating on him.

I know, I know...I should have avoided any confrontation and let him blatantly rip me off while threatening to beat me up...right?? .....Or I should have gone to the local police and complained about the man ripping me off.... and then.... let the Thai police get in on the rip off also......right ???

So now .....all you Thai Visa arm chair critics can whine and whinge all you want and berate me and tell me I was a bad farang......because I made a Thai guy lose face.........Farang My Dee Loy....lol..........but still...he started it and I finished it....

Cheers

I'm not going to berate you for being bad, but I will for being stupid. You were very lucky. Unless you had credible witnesses to prove you were acting in self defence you were very lucky not to be charged. They would take the Thai person's word over yours. The Thai guy you beat up was a gentleman for not taking it further. What was it over? 20 baht?

Nope....it was all about the Thai Guy grabbing me and physically threatening to beat me up because I would not let him extort money out of me....and that is what it was all about......not the money.

Are we now clear on that point???

I would not have done what I did do if there had been many other motorcycle guys around while there was only one person who witnessed the altercation ( a nearby security guard ) while he actually Waied me when I walked past him after leaving the Thai guy on the ground recovering from the well deserved beating I gave him.

He witnessed the whole thing including what he could hear was being said, all in Thai language, before the fight occurred.

Anyhow........you were not there....but thanks for your concern...lol

Cheers

I am beginning to think that because of the brainwashing of Thais for thousands of years it is having a serious affect

which is becoming more visible each day, the thai rak thai and the general dislike of all foreigners that has been drilled into

them from birth is manifesting itself in these daily attacks on all things that are not Thai.

it is getting worse as they can not change their lives and they can not blame the ruling class so who is left for them to take

their frustration out on.....this is simmering away just under the surface and as soon as they get a chance they lash out.

the cancelling of the hire and the taxi are not the main issue it is probably because he drew attention to himself by raising his voice

I have been in situations like this and even if the thai is in the wrong people are ready to attack the foreigner no matter what has caused the incident I was lucky as I had hired a taxi and the driver got in-between me and the drunken thais I was the innocent party but no doubt they would of all jumped me if the taxi driver had not taken their attention from me for a few seconds.

and this is not just your street type Thai's it seems to be even the better educated from my latest experience's.

I keep it simple in Thailand - never hire anything of a Thai male. Thai women are fine I hire plenty of them & 95% of the time all my dealings are perfectly OK.

But I have learnt more from observation rather than actual dealings, to steer clear of the male of the species in Thailand. They are far worse when they get a bit of grog into them of course & when there are a few of them together, but I never get myself in that situation, ever. I avoid travelling by taxis as much as possible preferring to use rail transport around Bangkok, using a taxi to Pattaya on return only and the last time I had a female driver & she was fantastic - polite, on time, a safe driver, no tip or extra money requested, though because of her service, I gave her a decent tip.

Once upon a time I had a physical altercation with a Motorcycle guy and I left him with a big fat, bruised and bleeding lip.

Fortunately it was a one on one situation while the guy deserved what he got .......after....( repeat after ).... laying his hands on me and threatening to "box me up" ..Muay Thai style.......after "forcefully demanding" I pay him more money than the previously negotiated and agreed upon motorcycle taxi fare.

Long story short .....Surprise, surprise for him, while I laid a beating on him.

I know, I know...I should have avoided any confrontation and let him blatantly rip me off while threatening to beat me up...right?? .....Or I should have gone to the local police and complained about the man ripping me off.... and then.... let the Thai police get in on the rip off also......right ???

So now .....all you Thai Visa arm chair critics can whine and whinge all you want and berate me and tell me I was a bad farang......because I made a Thai guy lose face.........Farang My Dee Loy....lol..........but still...he started it and I finished it....

Cheers

I'm not going to berate you for being bad, but I will for being stupid. You were very lucky. Unless you had credible witnesses to prove you were acting in self defence you were very lucky not to be charged. They would take the Thai person's word over yours. The Thai guy you beat up was a gentleman for not taking it further. What was it over? 20 baht?

Nope....it was all about the Thai Guy grabbing me and physically threatening to beat me up because I would not let him extort money out of me....and that is what it was all about......not the money.

I would not have done what I did do if there had been many other motorcycle guys around while there was only one person who witnessed the altercation ( a nearby security guard ) while he actually Waied me when I walked past him after leaving the Thai guy on the ground recovering from the well deserved beating I gave him.

He witnessed the whole thing including what he could hear was being said, all in Thai language, before the fight occurred.

Cheers

You could have been done for assault no matter who started it, and I'm sure the security guard would not have helped you. They just don't want to get involved, particularly if it's involving a Farang beating up a Thai, one of their own. As I said, you're very lucky the Thai guy you beat up was a gentleman about the loss and didn't have you charged for assault. Considering he came off far worse than you, it would not have looked good for you at the police station or in court.

Cheers

I don't know about the fight, but the guy deserved a thorough tongue lashing for wearing that shirt in public.

Mom would have kicked my ass if she saw photos of me dressed like that in public.

Eureka....You have solved the mystery.

I agree .....That shirt would enrage near anyone ...including any respectable motorcycle taxi guy.

It is like a bull seeing red...lol

Cheers

Cheers

Cheers

You could have been done for assault no matter who started it, and I'm sure the security guard would not have helped you. They just don't want to get involved, particularly if it's involving a Farang beating up a Thai, one of their own. As I said, you're very lucky the Thai guy you beat up was a gentleman about the loss and didn't have you charged for assault. Considering he came off far worse than you, it would not have looked good for you at the police station or in court.

Cheers

Could have, would have...it does not matter because nothing came of it while I went on my way.

But I hear what you say.

It was one of those situations where adrenalin and anger took over and fortunately there was no one around to intervene while I walked away and nothing came of it.

Under other circumstances???? ....

Meantime, after 28 years.... I know well how it works here ...believe me...I do.

Believe me I have had many Thai people over charge me and rip me off ( so to speak ) numerous times and waste my time and fxck things up and then still want to be paid...or insisting to be paid for lousy work and I paid them "to just go away" and relieve me of their Thai stupidity and Axxhole attitude while I let it go...and just paid the money.....and not let it really bother me...but on that day, when that man laid his hands on me and threatened to beat me up....Nope...I stood my ground and he ended up hurt...not me.

And.... there was nothing gentleman about the Thai guy...rather he was a thug trying to extort money out of me while I stood my ground.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Come on Thailand. Time to get your act together. This has got to stop. If ya'll don't, I'm having my Ee-jip-shun friend, Buba Ho Tep, fling some seriously bad Mojo ya'lls way.

Edited by Buba Ho Tep