What fuel for older bikes

Kwasaki

I will be using E95 in my 1993 Honda CB400, the Honda Phantom and in the brush cutter.

Mind you in 2027 I will be 81 and I don't think it will be any problem for me by then.

My guide dog might have a problem though if we ride together.

What do you mean OP, taking E91 in 2018 and E95 in 2027? You mean off the market or?

Link?

I run E95 on my Versys since I got it last year.

For older bikes with carburetor it is the O-rings in the carb that don't like the gasohol and not the engine itself.

What do you mean OP, taking E91 in 2018 and E95 in 2027? You mean off the market or?

Link?

For older bikes with carburetor it is the O-rings in the carb that don't like the gasohol and not the engine itself.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/934893-gasohol-91-and-gasohol-95-to-be-phased-out-energy-business-dept/

These little mopeds,step thru's whatever you want to call these things.They are low compression,low octane will be just fine.

If you have A high compression motor then you need to use higher octane.using A high octane fuel in A low compression motor then all your doing is wasting mney.

Honda Phantom will be 25 years old & I will be 70..............so hm.......... not to worried...

The CB400 was manufactured in 1993 and so it will be 34 years old and a classic bike by then.

The Phantom was manufactured in 2005 so there will be plenty of life left in it then.

Link?

thumbsup.gif ' taichiplanet ' gave link.

I've always run E91 in my Versys so it will be ok, l was thinking after reading the article what engine mods if any is needed for Versys to run E20. blink.png

You right about older bikes but change out overhaul kits for many makes have been available for years. thumbsup.gif

I'm lucky enough to live close to one of the very few PTT stations that still sell 100% benzine (95), so, no problems riding the early 80's Super-Cubs.

And that is the one and only answer for real old vehicles.

The report about the out-phasing only deals with 91 E10, 95 E10 and E20.

It does not say that benzene/petrol without ethanol will be abandoned anytime soon.

All motorbikes/scooters of the last few years are specified for 91 E10.

Of course they can also be run with 95 E10.

What will happen in 2027? Buy a new scooter or use benzene if still available.

For now benzene is the safe but expensive solution for the old-timers.

Benzene is available at many but not all stations.

PTT has it at the major stations.

Just look for the most expensive stuff, 30.36 or higher today at PTT.

Edited by KhunBENQ

More than just some m/c need benzine. Some outboard motors, generators, farm equipment etc.

I've seen non-ethanol fuel removed twice from the market and twice it was brought back.

Regulations are made by those with latest model Benz's and no thought is given for the ordinary people.

I'm lucky enough to live close to one of the very few PTT stations that still sell 100% benzine (95), so, no problems riding the early 80's Super-Cubs.

It does not say that benzene/petrol without ethanol will be abandoned anytime soon.

E20 is staying that's why wondered how or if my Versys could be modified to run on it.

Coloured yellow at the pump.

On 29/07/2016 at 10:36 PM, Kwasaki said:

E20 is staying that's why wondered how or if my Versys could be modified to run on it.

You would need to increase fuel delivery to give equal power, as E20 has lower calories than straight Gasoline or E10. And would need a ECM able to adjust to the increased fuel load to the injectors, as well as moniter timing and temperature. For sure it is doable. Drag cars in some classes  have run on straight mehanol for years. Question is - is it economically feasible ?

I have a 1996 yamaha tdm850. Last year the fueltank tap started leaking, attacking the paint on the engine. Since then i have swapped the o-rings from the taps (tdm have 2 fuel taps) and all the o rings in the carbs. A company in khon kaen has o rings sets for several old jap models.

indeed, when replacing these o rings, they were all dried out and even the sieve on the fueltap was so brittle (due to gasohol?) It broke in pieces when i touched it. 

The gasohol resist o rings and seals are green color while the old ones are black. I assume the new ones are neoprene or viton. Not so much informed on this. Bike is nearly restored (added new paint on engine) but still looking for replacement of fueltank sieve. Maybe a simple inline fuelfilter will do the job fine.

Edited by tracker
Add more info

52 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You would need to increase fuel delivery to give equal power, as E20 has lower calories than straight Gasoline or E10. And would need a ECM able to adjust to the increased fuel load to the injectors, as well as moniter timing and temperature. For sure it is doable. Drag cars in some classes  have run on straight mehanol for years. Question is - is it economically feasible ?

Yeah no rush like, going to Kwaks CM in November for valve change recall will ask them what they think. :whistling: