Where is the best coffee place in CM (not Starbucks or chains)

balo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Is Cotton Tree in the Greenhill complex itself? - Thanks

Yes

Right next to Indoor Badminton Court

As you first drive into complex it is right of that first main building you pass

Check them out

Dton & Fai are super nice & skilled Baristas

1.jpg

Edited by mania

On 12/4/2016 at 3:22 PM, mania said:

Yes

Right next to Indoor Badminton Court

As you first drive into complex it is right of that first main building you pass

Check them out

Dton & Fai are super nice & skilled Baristas

1.jpg

Your ON !

Though my subjective appraisal will be with my coffee 'destroyed' with milk and sugar ;-)

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Your ON !

Though my subjective appraisal will be with my coffee 'destroyed' with milk and sugar ;-)

Hahah very good & I hope you enjoy it....

Do this one favor though especially if drinking a latte or cappuccino....take a sip or two without adding sugar

You may find it is naturally sweet depending on extraction & bean

Enjoy :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, mania said:

Hahah very good & I hope you enjoy it....

Do this one favor though especially if drinking a latte or cappuccino....take a sip or two without adding sugar

You may find it is naturally sweet depending on extraction & bean

Cotton Tree closed Tuesday,....forgot to check their opening hours.

Going to post coffee vans that are great on Suthep Road that I went to instead....nothing as good as Ramida for the price in Chiang Mai but these 2 vans are great. Need to dig out photos.

Espresso the DARK as it is called  - coffee van near Chiang Mai Uni's separate Faculty of Pharamacy on SUTHEP ROAD across the road in front of Krung Thai Bank.

Sour first taste then really full tasting coffee body . 55 Baht - like a double-shot. Opens 7.45am for the early birds...worth the visit.

I just found Ma Chill had no body to it, just smooth and that was it...this guy has got his own unique dial on coffee that is for sure. Not for the traditionalist Euro style coffee lovers though...

Thom Coffee van or maybe under another name, just 1 minutes along same side of street going to the road to Nimman.

P_20161206_132031.jpg

P_20161206_132147.jpg

P_20161206_132249.jpg

Edited by freedomnow

Not sure if I mentioned them before , if you happen to be near Mercure hotel , next to it is Fang Coffee. It's a traditional place been there for a long time I think, in the same building as Tops. Very spacious and comfortable seating. 55 baht for a latte.

I would rate it in the same category as Hom , but you get a nice, big cup to enjoy . Good and strong taste.  

20161206_090144.jpg

2 hours ago, balo said:

Not sure if I mentioned them before , if you happen to be near Mercure hotel , next to it is Fang Coffee. It's a traditional place been there for a long time I think, in the same building as Tops. Very spacious and comfortable seating. 55 baht for a latte.

I would rate it in the same category as Hom , but you get a nice, big cup to enjoy . Good and strong taste.  

If that is the Mecure Hotel on Chang Puak there is an even better place next to it (the market that has Fang in it ) called Papa's cup

Edited by mania

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Amit coffee again inside Promenada and this time it was a hit!

The  new staff working there did a great job with my latte. Also free ice water is always a plus. Well worth the 60 baht.

20170103_153344.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just add the Barista outside Hillkoff Coffee to the stellar coffee list coming in @35-40 Baht.

Unique and fantastic latte -35 Baht.

It is the Hillkoff across from the Chang Puak Hospital just off Chang Puak Road...(not the one nearer Tesco Lotus.)

Map enclosed - road highlighted in red is the continuation of Chang Puak Gate going towards Superhighway...turn right into one-way road on FOOT ;-)

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 6.06.04 PM.jpg

On 1/3/2017 at 4:00 PM, balo said:

I tried Amit coffee again inside Promenada and this time it was a hit!

The  new staff working there did a great job with my latte. Also free ice water is always a plus. Well worth the 60 baht.

I like the coffee there a lot and used to go often. But the last three times the coffee was served lukewarm. I'm done there.

On 12/4/2016 at 11:39 AM, freedomnow said:

Ok, tried Ma Chill -nothing much going on there.  Just a smooth double latte coffee for 75 Baht 50% smaller than Pacamara double latte which offers a slightly more deeper taste along with the smoothness, for same price.

Ma Chill exactly same size as a Ramida double latte at 2x the price. did not like Ma Chill interior, too hard.

Pacamara not mentioned in the thread yet, surprisingly.

Went  to Pacamara right after for another double latte much bigger, same price as Ma Chill.

Ma Chill top photo/Pacamara bottom photo. Next up this week , Cotton Tree.

Heard from my coffee guy at Ramida that a western barista visited yesterday and said it was the best so far in Thailand.

75 Baht double latte - Ma Chill.

75 Baht double latte - Pacamara.

Pacamara remains my favorite. Really nice coffee, nice owner and staff.

Maybe someone already mentioned it but the american owned The hideout , they do not only make the best sandwiches in town (rated #2 out of 1574 restaurants on Tripadvisor)  but the coffee there is very good and cheap,  americano only 40 baht. Flat White 45.  Great sandwich + coffee for around 130 baht is just an amazing deal.  

The Hideout Tripadvisor

. I

Edited by balo

6 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe someone already mentioned it but the american owned The hideout , they do not only make the best sandwiches in town (rated #2 out of 1574 restaurants on Tripadvisor)  but the coffee there is very good and cheap,  americano only 40 baht. Flat White 45.  Great sandwich + coffee for around 130 baht is just an amazing deal.  

The Hideout Tripadvisor

. I

Great news, but Thai owned and managed. 

On 12/11/2016 at 11:51 PM, freedomnow said:

Yes, Cotton Tree , pro Barista....same grade as Pacamara...Pacamara still the biggest double I've found. He gave me a double same price as single, nice touch.

Nice airy 'Edison' interior design or whatever it is called. Worth the trip.

Hi freedomnow

Sorry just saw this post as now that I have moved I don't check TV that often

Glad you made it over to Cotton Tree & yes their design skills show in that place.

They also have recently designed some nice new whole bean bags too I see on FB

The owners Dton & Fai remain some of my favorite folks in CM

Such a nice calm place with great coffee. Really shines in the hot season too when they

always have the place at a nice temp from early in the day.

PS: about the double ....most   3rd wave type coffee shops don't really  do singles

As the sweet spot lays around 18-20 grams of coffee

Edited by mania

On 16/01/2017 at 11:05 PM, elektrified said:

I like the coffee there a lot and used to go often. But the last three times the coffee was served lukewarm. I'm done there.

Agree I like my coffee hot the same as my tea and soup. Also extend that to women whilst we are talking about hit likes ? Nothing worse than warm drinks that are supposed to be hot or warm soups IMHO

12 hours ago, elektrified said:

Hideout is a Thai owned business and always has been.

Not according to Tripadvisor and the owner who signs with  Sammy S .  I have seen a foreigner in the kitchen there, and talking to guests , maybe he  is just married to one of the staff? 

You right, elektrified is one of the most informed on this forum , I was just curious. 

I found out on their facebook page now that the new owners took over in 2014 , Waew and Sammy. Waew is Japanese , not sure about Sammy .  

They do know how to make delicious western sandwiches , that's for sure. 

You right, elektrified is one of the most informed on this forum , I was just curious. 

I found out on their facebook page now that the new owners took over in 2014 , Waew and Sammy. Waew is Japanese , not sure about Sammy .  

They do know how to make delicious western sandwiches , that's for sure. 

Waew just told me she owns it and that she is Thai. Her husband Sammy is from Sidney.

Come on Balo!

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

My apologies balo. UG and I both thought you were referring to the "Hideaway" . I just realized you said "Hideout" of which I've never heard of. I would guess Dante99 thought the same.

I should say that I presume that UG and the others thought you meant Hideaway, a long-time Chiang Mai restaurant chain and dairy products supplier.

Waew just told me she owns it and that she is Thai. Her husband Sammy is from Sidney.
Come on Balo!

Australian ? Ok that explains it , probably the guy I have seen there a few times. Tell Sammy the coffee is among the best in CM next time you see him.