Chinese Tourists, Others also Face Fed Up with Their Rudeness

Gonzo the Face

It would seem that CM and/or Thailand are not the only ones upset with the rudeness of the Chinese tourists.

If you have

interest, now showing periodically on Al Jazeera English, they have a segment named "101 East" . I think you are able to pull up a podcast. It is about Chinese tour groups and their rudeness in Paris. I'm not sure but In think their is a snippet what looks like the buffet clip taken in CM a month or so ago. Maybe someone can find a direct link to that podcast. Interesting program.

Heres that link

Edited by Gonzo the Face

The world better get used to it. We helped make them what they are. 50 years ago American,s when they travelled were considered rude and pushy. Just think of the Chinese as the new world leader and easier to accept. Asia is the taking over and there is nothing we can do about it. They know quite well money rukes and they have the money to change things to what they want not what was or others want.Welcome to the 21st century folks.Kiss your culture and power good bye.

I'm at Tapae gate and big groups of Chinese here now. They seem to behave well. Maybe not all Chinese are bad people. I will let you know when I spot any rude behaviour.

I have a small business in Chiang Mai and 90% of my customers are Chinese, have a few (Thai) staff members that speak a little bit Chinese, and have absolutely no problems with Chinese customers.

I can make similar clips about foreigners (farang) or any group traveling in Thailand, every group has it's idiots, most of them are ok however.

I also run a business with 90%+ Chinese.

the Chinese have been coming for the last 4 years but only in the last year have we had problems with them.

On three separate occasions we have had to call the police because they refuse to pay.

It seems a regular occurrance that I have to go and repair damage that they have done.

All our regular Japanese and Korean customers stopped coming when the Chinese came here.

Asking for another discount on top of an already heavily discounted offer through Chinese advertising.

Downright noisy but if other Chinese in the place we just let them get on with it!

Having said that; if it wasnt for those Chinese coming in groups we wouldnt have been able to afford to build a new house; buy a car, pay off the student loan and still keep supplementing the in laws on their 40 rai plantations.

so we just bite our lips and keep counting the money.

But the tide has turned. in the last three months the Chinese footfall is way down. its now like i imagine a real low to be. Last June and July(2015) was our highest turnover months, better than February but for sure they have gone and thats now going to put a lot of businesses out of business.

Anyway we will just bat on and persevere; many dont have the resilience and determination to do that sadly.

There is a lot of talk that they are heading to Samui as there will be new movie popping out soon on that island and the new destination is far flung islands if you follow the travel blogs with the million + followers.

Honestly Chiangmai is overdone and should be seeing a downward trend in the next 1-2 years. The pricing war has started in China since late last year and those coming are either 1st timers or just taking full advantage of the pricing model much like the Singaporeans / Malaysians / HK used to do with Bangkok.

Don't know about the Chinese coming here......

But do know when travelling in China it's about 70%/30% rude over good.....

If you're not benefiting them - forget it/you......

Of course this is just during interaction......Many are seen but no contact = invisible......

But - of all my friends that opted to try & live/work there, 100% of their opinions are very negative towards the people, their actions, & ethics they have encountered....

My Thai wife used to have difficulty understanding the Chinese until i started bringing her to Chinese cities to see it for herself..after that she agrees Chiangmai is heaven and can understand why the Chines love it here although it doesn't mean she likes it...

the Chinese are really like excited kids...calm them down and show them the right way...you have to be very patient though as 1% of bad travellers is 13 million of them

Just on a flight CNX - BKK., there was a father playing with his kid on ope sides of the aisles slapping each other hands and driving the Thai gentleman in front of him nuts as the kids was kicking the seat...I can speak Mandarin and gently pointed out the kicking to the man in front...the father smiled, apologies and stopped right away ....at times they just need to know...

I like the part in the video where the French woman is talking about how the chinese buying places and putting in Chinese restaurants. She makes it sound like an invasion.

But for the last 50 years many American,s and Europeans didnot go to countries until they had the comforts they were used to. 40 years ago very few people came to Thailand,ffew modern accomodations,.No McDonalds,no KFC.,no English breakfasts etc. In the 90,s things started to change to creature comforts for American,s and European,s. Then they came and the money flowed. The country catered to them. Now it is the Chinese,s turn. America and it,s money changed the world now China and it,s money will change the world. It will be even easier for the Chinese because of the new world we live in.They will be able to free wheel with impunity..

They will do same as America where they go they will want their comforts to their tastes and likings..If it is not done they will go elsewhere. And money trumps all if they really want to come they will simply buy everything and make it to suit themselves. Everybody has a price.

The hotel my daughter works at,would be having a very low season if it was not for the

Chinese,they are not the best of guests,but better than nothing I suppose,sometimes

they berate the front desk staff,in Chinese, but my daughter also speaks Chinese,and

lets them know she understands what they are saying.

regards worgeordie

There are those who have been berating the Chinese for their behaviour and rightfully they should improve over time as we see the younger generation of Chinese travelers especially female in small groups is expanding globally.

Just be kind to them and point them the right way...the Chinese are a friendly bunch and when you spend 360 days in your province shouting and fighting lines...they cannot fly into Thailand for a 4 day vacation and all of as sudden abandon that behaviour and go soft tone and sawadee us etc ...the frequent travelers to Thailand you can detect as they are taken to the local culture and behave appropriately.

Look at HK, they despised the Chinese and rightly so the Chinese have also responded and declined instep numbers in 2016...so all those working in Tourism trade - hotels, guesthouses, transport, restaurants, shopping etc will be looking at a very bad year end to 2016 and most have been told by their mgt already there is no bonus for this year as they have all missed the targets.

Be careful what we wish for....if they really disappear overnight from Chiangmai...while the streets will be cleaner etc...all of the Thai business and their employees will suddenly be jobless. Ask the lady that sells pork leg named Feng Fei Fei stall at the old city where you have the street stalls opp the big market...she must have bought 30 to 40 houses in a moo bean based on her sales of a simple dish to the Chinese crowds nightly.

Like many travelers, they get caught up in what they are doing at the moment and become oblivious to what is happening around them except for the tunnel they are in. They seem to adjust quickly when made aware that others in their environment are not enjoying their act. Better than some travelers who become bull headed about it.

Edited by Dante99

Were the Spanish & Greeks overjoyed, when the Brits & Germans began arriving on cheap package-holidays, fifty years or so ago ? whistling.gif

People often don't like change, it's just human-nature, I'm sure that Chinese tourists will become more accustomed to being in foreign-countries, and that they have different standards of behaviour, eventually.

Meanwhile I think it's great, that more & more people can travel the world these days, increased-freedom & opportunity is a wonderful thing ! For example, the idea of ever being able to retire and live here in Thailand would have been simply impossible, when I was a kid. thumbsup.gif

I see a lot of Chinese tourists at The River Market. Personally I don't think that they are as bad as the picture being portrayed. The actual fact is that there are a lot of them. Look at the numbers walking down the streets and look at the many new Chinese signs that have popped up in just a year or so. It's as if the flood gates have opened and out came a group of people that have been bottled up for years. The island nation of Palau limited flights from mainland China because the influx was so great. Sure there is the occasional traveler relieving himself or herself at Thapae Gate or doing something at a temple that is forbidden. I don't think they are any worse at buffets than our lovely hosts. In fact while the Chinese gobble up the food and sometimes leave a mess a table of the other nationality makes sure that there are plates of expensive items merely wasted. Who's to say. The fact is that Chiang Mai would be hurting for business and many of the numerous restaurants, hotels and attractions would be doing half of the business they are enjoying today. So my feeling is to enjoy their culture and use the money they are bringing to buy a few extra cleaning products.

Edited by theDukes

I can possibly provide some insight, since I'm currently living & working in Shenzhen.

After spending 15 years in Bangkok, comparatively speaking, the Chinese are definitely rude.
Pushing, shoving, cutting in line is perfectly acceptable behavior and is commonplace at metro platforms, super markets & convenience stores.

However, there's a caveat:

This behavior appears to be predominant among a specific demographic; mostly 50+ years upwards,

and they tend to be migrants from Tier-II/Tier-III cities or the more impoverished provinces.

Generation X, Y & Z (city folk or otherwise) are for the most part, fairly well-behaved, will cue up in line and have decent civic sense.

Those who've traveled overseas & speak a little English (usually from Tier-I cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen & Guangzhou) will have better manners still.

A sizeable proportion of the ill-behaved tourists visiting Thailand, most likely falls within the above demographic.

A couple of years ago I visited Paris for a month.

On the plane none of the air hostesses smiled, I thought the customs officials were rude and as a whole the people seemed curt and in the cafes and shops the staff seemed to have take it or leave it attitudes with miserable looking expressions. Then I realised this was the sort of behaviour and attitudes I had been brought with in England and why everyone seemed so impolite is because I have been spoilt in Thailand over the years, used to service with a smile and almost kissing my backside when they think I’m going to spend money. So I guess the problem is that the Chinese are not excessively rude but it’s the exact opposite that the Thais are excessively polite and one big reason I appreciate living here, that judging by the many complainers about Thailand on TV many of you don`t know when you`re well off.

I like these guys who basically say, "The Chinese are horrible, but we will take their money." 

Like the woman in the video complaining about them spitting on the floor INSIDE the restaurant. 

Apropos the people here in CM saying that without the Chinese, they'd be in big trouble business-wise. I have a BS in Business Management and I recall something called ethics in business...Oh well, but at least the Chinese understand that money trumps everything else. 

The real problem here is that the Chinese have little interest in adapting their behavior; they think THEY are superior in all ways (the "Middle Kingdom" and their 5,000 years of history crap). What I am seeing and afraid of is how the culture of a destination will be undermined by the local commercial sectors caving into whatever outrageous or rude behavior the Chinese display simply to make a buck, and the result will not be the civilizing of the Chinese, but the Chinesation of the destination culture. 

Disclaimer: I lived in Free China for 20 years. I understand a fair whack of their tongue. I've stayed in 21 cities on the mainland. 

Here's the real sticker: According to the video, only 7% of Chinese now hold a passport. Wait for it.....wait for it.....

1 hour ago, varun said:

Generation X, Y & Z (city folk or otherwise) are for the most part, fairly well-behaved, will cue up in line and have decent civic sense.

Those who've traveled overseas & speak a little English (usually from Tier-I cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen & Guangzhou) will have better manners still.

Yup, those are the ones I tend to meet.  Absolutely great people, I actually prefer them now over other nationalities in the same age group.   Sometimes they bring their parents, who tend to not speak English, but are otherwise just fine too.

I had to convince the Mrs. when first wanting to cater to Chinese people, knowing personally that discrimination towards any nationality is silly, especially when not taking other demographic details into account.  So I first stuck to people with perfect English, but two years on any reticence has changed into basically a preference and now happily deal with people with very limited English:  Google Translate works reasonably well for Chinese (better than Thai I think actually) plus the Mrs. speaks the language a bit.

Also, Chiang Mai tourism would be in quite the pickle without them.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

23 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

A couple of years ago I visited Paris for a month.

On the plane none of the air hostesses smiled, I thought the customs officials were rude and as a whole the people seemed curt and in the cafes and shops the staff seemed to have take it or leave it attitudes with miserable looking expressions. Then I realised this was the sort of behaviour and attitudes I had been brought with in England and why everyone seemed so impolite is because I have been spoilt in Thailand over the years, used to service with a smile and almost kissing my backside when they think I’m going to spend money. So I guess the problem is that the Chinese are not excessively rude but it’s the exact opposite that the Thais are excessively polite and one big reason I appreciate living here, that judging by the many complainers about Thailand on TV many of you don`t know when you`re well off.

+1000

It's only once you move out of Thailand do you realize this. 

The chinese expect the Thais to love them, love their rudeness, love their crapping in the sink and on the floor, and stealing. I was just in Chiang Rai at the Black House and these are the stories told to my girlfriend by the staff. A man and woman stole a 10,000baht purse unfortunately not recovered. They insisted the tour guide clean the bathroom. They also had a tour guide give them the line about the chinese not likeing the way thais treat them and maynot come back, the clerk ask him what you want me to be sad or happy nothing I can do. We all know it is a two way street Chiang Mai needs them but should not have to kiss their asses.

4 hours ago, ev1lchris said:

China is a hell hole. That's why they act like animals.

Not all of China is a hell hole and not all of them act like animals..i have explained it so many times..it's just scale and I am not defending them.

head to the hutongs, clan houses, places in Lijiang ...hangzhou...lots of cultured spots and the art of conversations , nature and art scenes will surprise you

1% of badly behaved Chinese is 13 million...that's a hell lot of them ! 

20 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

Not all of China is a hell hole and not all of them act like animals..i have explained it so many times..it's just scale and I am not defending them.

head to the hutongs, clan houses, places in Lijiang ...hangzhou...lots of cultured spots and the art of conversations , nature and art scenes will surprise you

1% of badly behaved Chinese is 13 million...that's a hell lot of them ! 

I think it's 1.3 billion and rising - that's a hell of a lot more of 'em  for one small city in the paddies