New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

Any links in posts accessed via android box bolted to a telly throw up a blank page when clicked. To date the only solutions are to either:

- Fire up a proper computer & try again, or

- Use a smartphone, unnessarily draining the battery, or

- Type the link manually as there is no copy-and-paste facility on said box.

Overall the website is (s-l-o-w-l-y) getting better...:)

Edited by evadgib

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 1:18 PM, JetsetBkk said:
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 4:01 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been getting "service unavailable" messages on an entirely blank/white page periodically over the past couple days when I try to load my content posted page. Usually, after several attempted reloads, the correct page and info finally comes up.

I'd never seen that kind of message before the past few days in all my years around ThaiVisa.

No issues going on with my internet connection or any trouble loading any other web pages.

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 0:59 PM, Tech Doctor said:

Hi

Is this still occurring today?

TD

Me too. I assumed it was my ISP since the white "service unavailable" page is displayed immediately, i.e. instantly, after clicking something and there was no "Waiting for Thaivisa..." or anything like it.

Haven't had them today or yesterday.

I got the "Service unavailable" message earlier today on my lap-top in a sandwich shop on a wireless connection and going to a website not connected with Thaivisa.

So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Thaivisa.

6 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I got the "Service unavailable" message earlier today on my lap-top in a sandwich shop on a wireless connection and going to a website not connected with Thaivisa.

Might be useful if both the users getting that issue reported where they are and what ISP they're connecting through. That's if the person in the sandwich shop can find out of course Just a thought ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:
12 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Might be useful if both the users getting that issue reported where they are and what ISP they're connecting through. That's if the person in the sandwich shop can find out of course Just a thought ?

I'm on 3BB. Don't know what the sandwich shop is on, but can find out later.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Overall the website is (s-l-o-w-l-y) getting better...:)

I think it's got better very quickly over the last week. Very quick to list the threads I've posted in and quick to list all my recent posts - just a couple of seconds.

I guess they repaired the broken elastic band.   thumbsup.gif

After weeks of the same thing, I have to bring up this very annoying behaviour when loading a forum. The ad inserts between groups of threads come in last. I am about to click on something and the page content jumps forward and I end up clicking on air, or an ad I have no interest in, or thread I didn't want to read. This happens via Bangkok or Pattaya internet services. 

I don't suppose anything will be or could be done about this. But this issue really downgrades the TV reading experience. It's so annoying sometimes I just kill the tab and go somewhere else.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

So I am going to be polite as I can and not use words or meanings that supposedly have magical properties.

This new front end was sold to users as an upgrade but this is not the case at all unless a member wishes a blunderbuss of advertising along with less interaction with other users. Sure, you are going to get a few issues here and there upon implementation but if it worked perfectly it would still be an affront to members. I can scroll down a thread and reach a point where just two words are related to interaction (forum) and the rest of the entire screen is pure advertising.

I'm still being polite.

TV used to be a site dedicated to helping people just for the want of doing it. It got pretty big via bandwidth etc. so there was a need to generate revenue via advertising to pay for its upkeep. Some people complained but it did need to be done in my opinion because you cannot run a site of this size for free.... you need staff. So that was mid 2000's ish. It still had basically the same ethos in that is was there to help others as a goal.

....still being polite.

Site was sold a few months back and what is the ethos now? It is self evident that the ethos is to progenerate wealth by way of advertising and at the same time changing the software so members have to keep changing pages... ergo, click money in effect. Dupe people but please don't lie to them by saying this is an upgrade.

Someone is in charge and I would ask them to reflect on their actions..... Be honest.

@Tech Doctor: Please can you sort out the Smileys? They are a mess:

1. "Emoticons I've Used Recently" aren't - as I've never used one of the smileys listed.

2. Let's have the normal, simple ones first.

3. Make the window big enough to show them all, so there are no vertical and horizontal scroll bars.

4. What happened to :facepalm:? Because that's the one I want to use right now! rolleyes.gif

5. When you drag a smiley to the end of a line or post, it becomes centred in the next line, like this:

rolleyes.gif

and everything following is centred too!

Edit:

After posting, the centred lines become left justified! (Where's the facepalm smiley again?)

Edited by JetsetBkk

16 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

@Tech Doctor: Please can you sort out the Smileys? They are a mess:

1. "Emoticons I've Used Recently" aren't - as I've never used one of the smileys listed.

2. Let's have the normal, simple ones first.

3. Make the window big enough to show them all, so there are no vertical and horizontal scroll bars.

4. What happened to :facepalm:? Because that's the one I want to use right now! rolleyes.gif

5. When you drag a smiley to the end of a line or post, it becomes centred in the next line, like this:

rolleyes.gif

and everything following is centred too!

Edit:

After posting, the centred lines become left justified! (Where's the facepalm smiley again?)

@JetsetBkk   @Tech DoctorI think this might be related to my post 1165 above http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935307-new-site-feedback/?page=47#comment-11180364   (?)

Oddly, I do NOT get the :rolleyes: smiley /emoticon problem you get - that one went where the cursor was located.  What browser are you using?  I'm on Chrome if it helps...another smiley here :wink:

Edited by VBF

12 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

Face Palm as AWOL ill take a look as to why. - Others should be back now.

I found it lurking... facepalm.gif, but I can't find rolleyes  rolleyes.gif or the giggler: _ giggle.gif

Edited by JetsetBkk

13 hours ago, VBF said:

@JetsetBkk   @Tech DoctorI think this might be related to my post 1165 above http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935307-new-site-feedback/?page=47#comment-11180364   (?)

Oddly, I do NOT get the :rolleyes: smiley /emoticon problem you get - that one went where the cursor was located.  What browser are you using?  I'm on Chrome if it helps...another smiley here :wink:

You are right in that it is related to your earlier post, but only in the sense that the smileys function is simply not working properly. The main problem is that the window is too small. So let's compare the old way of adding a smiley with the new way:

Old way:  type colon, capital P = tongue.gif

New way: Click the Smileys icon, drag the vertical scroll bar until the smiley is in view. If not, drag the horizontal scroll bar until the smiley is in view. If still not in view drag the vertical scroll bar back to the top until all the smileys have been viewed. When you find it, drag the smiley into your post.

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM, VBF said:

One problem: the Emoticons drop down, "Emoticon" category is empty despite it saying that there are 68 emoticons available. However they do all appear in the "Default" category.

I believe the Emoticon category is purely for searching, although I believe that option is also available with the other categories. If you know the name of the Smiley, e.g. "tongue", you type it into the "Find emoticons..." panel and you end up with tongue.gif in the panel above - all ready for dragging into your post.

And what about "Emoticons I've Used Recently" in the "overview" category? There's a guy there bouncing a ball on his head and I have never, ever used that smiley. And, of course, the ones I have used aren't there.

Enough for now, the snooker's on - Trump vs. Williams.  w00t.gif

Just now, Caps said:

Is this the site or have I done something? Black and white..strange

The site went black and white, just like most of Thai websites.