New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

Since the update I find the site very slow and unresponsive for a lot of the time.  Is it just me are do other have the same thing?  It not my internet because other pages/forums load fine

• Like 2

@balo - Great news.

@Caps - Yes this is where invision are now looking through 500MB of slow log queries as they and amazon have ruled out our IOPS and RDS tuning.

They have asked me to patch still the streams as I made the choice to limit the search upto a maximum of 360 days at the moment, hence why it is working.

TD

Just now, Tech Doctor said:

@balo - Great news.

@Caps - Yes this is where invision are now looking through 500MB of slow log queries as they and amazon have ruled out our IOPS and RDS tuning.

They have asked me to patch still the streams as I made the choice to limit the search upto a maximum of 360 days at the moment, hence why it is working.

TD

Thanks for the reply TD :thumbsup:

But its not any particular thing for me, it just seems to be the whole forum for me, whether I am searching, trying to look at a page, replying, clicking like etc.  Even loading the forum from the start seems to take forever. 

It was fine before 

• Like 1

@Caps - It will get better we are constantly tuning the system trying to get it back to normal speed, we are facing issues like other forums running the software at the moment.

Frustrating for everyone at the moment, especially last week it seemed to behave then this week back to RDS locks and we froze all change work in regards to tuning.

TD

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

Hes on my list of people and our admins team i think.

@ExpatOilWorker - I have a maintenance and patch window requested for this weekend so hopefully Friday Night / Saturday we can try and fix that issue. If its approved.

TD

TD, you need approval to fix something that is obviously broken?

That sound like the oil industry!

37 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

@Tech Doctor FYI: It is currently taking about 28 seconds for "content I posted in" results to appear (Firefox on Windows, ADSL).

(Better than never, of course default_thumbsup.gif)

@Tech Doctor 

I agree with the sentiment posted by @JetsetBkk

Compared to my post 1033 above, "Content I posted in" is improving.

It takes about 10 seconds whilst all the other activity streams take about 2 seconds (Chrome on Win 10 ADSL)

Site feels more responsive today too. (I realise that's not a very scientific statement - call it a "UAT" test!)

Getting there....... :)

Edited by VBF

What's with the mouseover message "Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more options" for the textarea where one enters postings (where I'm typing now)?  Ctrl-right click does nothing for me, other than bring up the standard Chrome right click options (Undo, Paste, etc.).

24 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Are you using a mac? In that case, it's cmd + right click instead.

Nope.  Using a PC running Linux Mint LMDE + Cinnamon with Google Chrome as the browser.

Out of curiosity, what is ctrl-right click supposed to do? Is it something really exciting that I'm missing out on? Or is it simply mundane?

Edited by Oxx

8 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Nope.  Using a PC running Linux Mint LMDE + Cinnamon with Google Chrome as the browser.

Out of curiosity, what is ctrl-right click supposed to do? Is it something really exciting that I'm missing out on? Or is it simply mundane?

It doesn't do anything very exciting. Gives you a couple of options to paste things into a post, or remove quotes.

26 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

It doesn't do anything very exciting. Gives you a couple of options to paste things into a post, or remove quotes.

Actually whilst not exciting, I regard the right-click options as very useful - see my post 723 and surrounding comments.

Applies to Windows / Chrome - I don't know about other OS / browsers

Edited by VBF

25 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

The remove quotes thing would be kind of handy.  It's really annoying that stuff long previously quoted (but eventually not posted) pops up in new replies and is really irksome to get rid of.

44 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

If I had so few likes per post, I wouldn't want it advertised either. 

The good doctor has a surprisingly healthy ratio, though!

Yes, amazingly fast accumulation of likes. I'm sure Mr Bernoulli would be very impressedwhistling.gif

I keep giving him likes, but it never rolls over to zero. Very disappointing.

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2016 at 3:39 PM, VBF said:

@Tech Doctor 

I agree with the sentiment posted by @JetsetBkk

Compared to my post 1033 above, "Content I posted in" is improving.

It takes about 10 seconds whilst all the other activity streams take about 2 seconds (Chrome on Win 10 ADSL)

Site feels more responsive today too. (I realise that's not a very scientific statement - call it a "UAT" test!)

Getting there....... :)

@Tech Doctor  FYI - all activity streams now loading in a reasonable time frame although "Content I posted in" is a little slower than the others - FYI it takes about 4 seconds, all the others about 2 seconds

I just closed the browser, ran CCleaner and confirmed it by switching between streams in multiple tabs.....trying hard to break it as we testers do!

Thank you :thumbsup:

Edited by VBF
More info

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sometimes the banner ad obscures my user name. Can't click on content then. I was just checking, so don't know if my content is working yet. That is the most annoying effect of this upgrade, as I need my content to avoid having to look through pages and pages of threads.

Can you let me know your screen resolution so i can check the banners against that size, it might be the responsive banner thresholds.

TD

7 minutes ago, Tech Doctor said:

Can you let me know your screen resolution so i can check the banners against that size, it might be the responsive banner thresholds.

TD

I can't believe that we have come down to minutiae like this.

the new site is a mess - it seems to have been introduced on a hope and a prayer........it reminds me of buying a British Motorbike back in the sixties......

any other product that came out with this many faults hiccoughs and glitches would be immediately sent back to the manufacturer and a law suit would follow.

the site is jerky, unresponsive poorly laid out and things like the classifieds have bee replaced (eventually!) with a screen saying "coming soon".

THis is not down to "teething problems" - I don't think I've ever come across a revamped site that has been so utterly flawed.

Why don't you just scrap this and start with a completely different site - you have been sold a pup here without a doubt.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Still not possible to browse and read any of the forums on the Android app from my tablet. So its basically useless, I can only read the posts I participated in and unread posts. If I want to go into any local forum it just starts loading and nothing happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balo said:

Still not possible to browse and read any of the forums on the Android app from my tablet. So its basically useless, I can only read the posts I participated in and unread posts. If I want to go into any local forum it just starts loading and nothing happens.

Same here I can only access Thailand news page.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mcfish said:

If a click the quote tab and then change my mind and decide not to post, the quoted post will always insert itself on that thread if I decide to reply at a later stage and there is no way to remove that quoted post

clear as mud?

forget this I worked it out