Embarassing Things Westerners Do

eldragon

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Wai ing those beneath them, looks ridiculous. Strutting along with a tattooed up bar girl looking like a mobile gold shop. Feeding soi dogs, why make a problem worse? Speaking Thai that they obviously picked up at bars and the dress thing, the cargo pants scruffs should be deported. 

Agree with everything you say- but admit do feed the Soi dogs. 

I have some beautiful local dogs- always friendly- trouble is they have it in their genes to be mans' best friend .

They don't ask to be born- nor do the cargo pant scruffs - they should know better ( maybe not) 

However the dogs are trying to survive, the wife beater brigade should know  better ? 

Overall, just trying too damn hard to be "Thai."

Like to wai every Thai they encounter regardless of social status, context etc.

Also, when expats speak really loud, sloppy inaccurate Thai but think they are speaking better than a native.

I have a friend who does both of these. He gets excited when a Thai says how well he speaks (they say this to anyone who can blurt out a hello in Thai, they're being polite) and doesn't realize that when he wais five hookers and a mamasan he walks by that he really needs to brush up on his Thai etiquette.

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

I'm really curious as to what you guys need all these pockets for.

Cell phone on one cargo side....Wallet zipped in on the other cargo side (especially handy sitting or getting in and out of cars so the wallet/phone doesn't slide out).....Keys on one upper side pocket.....Coin change in the other so it doesn't spill out of in with the keys.....Folded loose bills in the right rear pocket.....

Left rear pocket is for pocket lint?

Works for me......

Edited by pgrahmm

4 hours ago, manarak said:

agree about the cargo shorts.

also, I can't think of anything else giving me enough pockets as this type of shorts do.

Cargo shorts are the best thing I found in Thailand to go everywhere with all my gear in safe places, and sandals... the most practical footwear if you follow the customs entering homes and temples  TIT!....

Edited by umbanda

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I'm really curious as to what you guys need all these pockets for.

contents:

- car and or motorcycle keys
- set of other keys
- 2 phones
- purse
- fisherman's friends
- nose spreay
- pen
- coins
- (optional) notebook
- (optional) passports
- (optional) work permit
- (optional) camera
- (optional) swiss army knife
- (optional) glasses/sunglasses ecrin
- (optional) microfibre cloth
- (optional) earphones
- (optional) USB stick
- (optional) mini-tripod for the camera
- (optional) power bank for the phones

and finally, the girlfriend's phone because she doesn't have pockets and hates carrying around a bag.

I'm not a fan of bags either because they are prime targets in the streets or when driving a motorcycle.

Edited by manarak

Honestly I don't see many foreigners except ones that I meet in a business environment and they are all professionals and behave as such.   However I can only imagine if I was to ever go to Pattaya or Phuket. I'd likely be really embarrassed at the behavior of desperate old men thinking they are 25 again.  

23 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Vests, cargo shorts, cheap ill-fitting t-shirts on people who should have stopped wearing them years ago, flip flops as evening wear, elephant trousers, those weird tops backpacker girls wear that show off the side of a manky bra, socks and sandals, baggy speedos, exposed armpit hair in the vicinity of people's food, etc etc

Socks and sandals are sensible. Without the socks, easy to pick up all kinds of infections. Socks and shoes are too hot in this climate.

What do you wear? A dinner suit?

13 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I wear normal clothes. I don't dress like a tourist, because I'm not on holiday.

Did you guys need that many pockets back home, too?

Yes i need many pockets and even more if i have to bring my passport as well.

20 baht plus a bicyclekey fit in the trunk of your bike i guess?

I even bought a purse for men (don't laugh) so i can carry more stuff around. I only use it for flights though but it's great!

Edited by Thian

1 hour ago, manarak said:

contents:

- car and or motorcycle keys
- set of other keys
- 2 phones
- purse
- fisherman's friends
- nose spreay
- pen
- coins
- (optional) notebook
- (optional) passports
- (optional) work permit
- (optional) camera
- (optional) swiss army knife
- (optional) glasses/sunglasses ecrin
- (optional) microfibre cloth
- (optional) earphones
- (optional) USB stick
- (optional) mini-tripod for the camera
- (optional) power bank for the phones

and finally, the girlfriend's phone because she doesn't have pockets and hates carrying around a bag.

I'm not a fan of bags either because they are prime targets in the streets or when driving a motorcycle.

Mmm 

A purse is something Is something a real man should never carry-maybe I was brought up in a different era. 

What do you imagine locals think about hordes of fellows showing up in the morning walking around with a bottle of beer in hand on beaches and streets?

Drunk walking amid traffic?

Not only in Thailand, but anywhere just not in their country (where they'd be invited to visit a jail)

Edited by AGLV0121

Honestly I don't see many foreigners except ones that I meet in a business environment and they are all professionals and behave as such.   However I can only imagine if I was to ever go to Pattaya or Phuket. I'd likely be really embarrassed at the behavior of desperate old men thinking they are 25 again.  

A Post full of stereotyping and yet you indicate you have never been to the places you are referring to. Lots of professionals behave disgracefully especially in regards of morals and integrity. You are also far more likely (for very obvious reasons) to find desperate men in yours or my homeland than you are here in Thailand. One day you will be an old man too and your life may not turn out as you anticipate now.

A definite no no is socks with flip flops or sandals...ugh...

Over tipping like they're still in London, New York or Sydney when the service and food were ordinary

Ladies, please cover your size 20 bum cheeks with real shorts not the ones the Bar girls wear

18 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

You might have no need for condoms back home, but some of us were luckier...

You might not need a large cellphone but don't expect to be taken serious by the Thai without one. 

My own behaviour. 

The behaviour of others is no cause for my embarrassment, though it may be cause for their embarrassment, should they so choose, or not.  

I'm not really bothered that other people have different standards from mine.

As long as westerners stay in typical holiday places like Pattaya or Hua Hin , they can do whatever they like. Local Thais are expecting it .

But anywhere else you should respect Thai culture and be polite. Unfortunately we have a few "tourists" here that never should have left home.