Thai Commerce Min says high potential for pineapples in US

webfact

Commerce Min says high potential for pineapples in US

pp.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 August 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Commerce has voiced belief the United States is a good target for Thailand’s pineapple exporters with demand for dried and processed pineapple on the rise. 

Director of the Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP) Malee Choklumlerd has pointed out the US market for pineapple has grown 6 percent to a value of 40 billion baht as of late, citing the trend as positive for Thailand. She said the US is already Thailand’s most major export destination for canned pineapples ahead of the Philippines and Indonesia and still has room for growth. 

The DITP director acknowledged that canned foods are falling out of favor in the US as more consumers turn to organic products and fruits and vegetables with high nutritional value, but said this poses an opportunity for Thai makers of dried pineapple. 

She stated that beyond the quality of goods, traders should also devote attention to their packaging, which is a major factor behind purchasing decisions in the US. She called on exporters to closely study the market to make sure their products are accepted in the US before striking up deals.

-- NNT 2016-08-02

if it doesn't say "Gluten-Free" then Americans will not eat it.

Gluten is Public Enemy #1 to the American Consumer...even though many don't have a clue what it even is. 

As for dried pineaple vs canned pineapple?

I will choose the canned "sliced" pineapple most every time. 

Delicious.

I also like dried fruit but in Thailand they make it far too sweet (and expensive).

Dried pineapple can be fantastic but some of them taste foul.

It is the perfect candy for kids in the west, just keep it natural and not too sweet.

Hawaii would not like this.

Perfect export for the U.S. (the big ones) not the  ones grown to fit the can.

Bananas are also in big demand, but watch out for United Fruit Co. which has had that monopoly for almost 100 years.

Competition could make these affordable to all Americans. When I was a kid it was a special treat,  to expensive for our family to have very often.

The baht hasn't been strong from what I have seen recently and certainly is not at an all time high. It was 25baht/$1 back before 1997 when the peg broke. Two stories I saw yesterday made slight connections to 1997 and banking security. Thailand will be exporting more pineapples and other fruits in the future for sure. The baht will probably weaken more as it did after Tom Yang Kung if the regime in power fails to let the people choose their leaders.

1 minute ago, easton said:

Whenever choosing canned pineapple I always look for the stuff from the Philippines, it it usually sweeter.

On a simiar note, if you ever buy fruit from the sidewalk vendors, my wife brought home some cantaloupe she said is from Nepal and which has a very superior sweet flavor to the Thai melon we usually eat. 

You might ask around, for all I know maybe its also available in the stores. 

Delicious.