Thailand Elite Card is pleased to announce the release of four new membership programs

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

There is no way of remaining in the country that is more secure than the Elite program out there. 

So from a security stand point the TE program exceeds any other option there is.  There is no way the government will revoke valid visas.

PE visa holders have exactly the same 1 year permission to stay (security) as those with 1 year extensions of stay. I agree that they are unlikely to revoke a visa once issued, but the fact that it's been issued doesn't give any guarantee of entry. 

2 hours ago, Jujus said:

Exactly. 2 things they wouldn't have any interest to touch (nothing to gain and a lot to lose if they do): TE and PR (Permanent Residency).

If the government decided to reduce existing expat numbers, or kick us all out, TE members and Resident Permit holders are also at risk. There is no such thing as 'Permanent Residency', it is indefinite leave to stay that can easily be revoked.

25 minutes ago, Stray said:

As several other posters have commented, I also feel much more secure with a PE visa than any other.

There is no reason for Thailand to stop issuing 1 year extension of stay for spouses, parents, over 50's or workers etc. and these groups have just as much security as TE members. You have paid, in advance, for convenience.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

PE visa holders have exactly the same 1 year permission to stay (security) as those with 1 year extensions of stay. I agree that they are unlikely to revoke a visa once issued, but the fact that it's been issued doesn't give any guarantee of entry. 

If the government decided to reduce existing expat numbers, or kick us all out, TE members and Resident Permit holders are also at risk. There is no such thing as 'Permanent Residency', it is indefinite leave to stay that can easily be revoked.

There is no reason for Thailand to stop issuing 1 year extension of stay for spouses, parents, over 50's or workers etc. and these groups have just as much security as TE members. You have paid, in advance, for convenience.

No this is wrong. Pe holders have ME visas for 5 years. 

20 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

No this is wrong. Pe holders have ME visas for 5 years. 

No it's not wrong. TE members have a visa valid for 5 years that only allows permission to stay for 1 year per entry. At the end of the year you have to leave and return, or apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

You can renew in the country anytime. It isn't the same as asking for a new extension. 

You can't. You have to go to immigration and pay 1,900 baht for an extension of stay which would be for 1 year, and they would only accept that application towards the end of any 1 year permit to stay.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

PE visa holders have  a multi-entry visa that is not under further scrutiny. The visa itself is valid for 5 years it isn't subject to further scrutiny. 

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No it's not wrong. TE members have a visa valid for 5 years that only allows permission to stay for 1 year per entry. At the end of the year you have to leave and return, or apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

There are many things that are not factual here. A TE holder can stay in Thailand for 5 years. There is nothing to apply for the visa is automatically extended as it is a 5 year visa. It isn't an extension.

20 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

This isn't true. TE members do not pay 1,900 for extensions. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

14 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

PE visa holders have  a multi-entry visa that is not under further scrutiny. The visa itself is valid for 5 years it isn't subject to further scrutiny. 

6 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

There are many things that are not factual here. A TE holder can stay in Thailand for 5 years. There is nothing to apply for the visa is automatically extended as it is a 5 year visa. It isn't an extension.

And you say I don't know what I'm talking about!

• TE members do pay for extensions of stay if they don't want to exit each year.
  • The visa is a multiple entry and is valid for 5 years, but it doesn't give permission to stay for 5 years. It simply gives the ability to enter as often as you want for 5 years and stay a maximum of 1 year per entry.
  • You cannot stay in Thailand for 5 years without applying for a 1 year extension of stay at the end of each year.

You clearly don't fully understand what you have bought. And it would be better if you didn't pass on your misinformation to others that are considering buying it the future.

• Like 1

.You are right about 1,900 Baht. I can't imagine being here more than a year at  a time. Other than that I am good for 5 years. I do know what i bought other than I made a mistake about a trivial matter such as the 1,900 if I stay here one year. 

I am aware of what the visa does and am aware that it gives me a one year visa every time I enter the country.  It is still the best ME visa you will be offered in all of Thailand and that is no less true than it ever was. 

It is good for 5 years no matter how you spin it. 

Edited by anotheruser

On 14/10/2016 at 9:51 PM, elviajero said:

Touching the Permanent Residency (and the TE) would be a very slippery road to take for any government... Again, nothing to gain from doing that.

7 hours ago, Jujus said:

Touching the Permanent Residency (and the TE) would be a very slippery road to take for any government... Again, nothing to gain from doing that.

I completely agree, but the same applies to those on 1 year extensions of stay. And any TE member that thinks they have greater security than those on extensions are mistaken.

I completely agree, but the same applies to those on 1 year extensions of stay. And any TE member that thinks they have greater security than those on extensions are mistaken.

A PE Visa is nothing like an extension of stay. PE visa holders do not continually have to ask permission to stay. An extension of stay is not a visa as people seem to enjoy continually pointing out. A PE visa has already been granted for a full 5 years and people that have it are not under continual scrutiny. 

Everytime a holder enters the country they get a full 12 months entry stamp without the need for a re-entry permit to keep it alive. Again, nothing like an extension.

Of course a PE visa is more secure than an extension!

• Like 1

Having purchased the automatic right to visas for a specified period, you are correct that the Thai authorities could renege on the deal. However, that would have much more serious repercussions than changing the conditions for an extension of stay. The risks with a PE visa are minuscule. Policy changes affecting extensions of stay happen, though I would agree those affecting retirement extensions or marriage extensions are likely to have grandfathered rights protecting existing extension holders.

1 hour ago, Ronuk said:

A PE Visa is nothing like an extension of stay. PE visa holders do not continually have to ask permission to stay. An extension of stay is not a visa as people seem to enjoy continually pointing out. A PE visa has already been granted for a full 5 years and people that have it are not under continual scrutiny. 

Everytime a holder enters the country they get a full 12 months entry stamp without the need for a re-entry permit to keep it alive. Again, nothing like an extension.

Of course a PE visa is more secure than an extension!

I am talking about the fact that however the 1 year permission to stay is achieved, once it's granted, TE members do not have a more secure permit to stay than anyone else. 

• A husband is granted permission to stay for 1 year at a time. A PE Visa holder is granted 1 year permission to stay at a time. The security of each permit to stay is exactly the same!

You are talking about the convenience that a PE Visa gives for arranging, possible, future permits to stay in advance. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Having purchased the automatic right to visas for a specified period, you are correct that the Thai authorities could renege on the deal. However, that would have much more serious repercussions than changing the conditions for an extension of stay. The risks with a PE visa are minuscule. Policy changes affecting extensions of stay happen, though I would agree those affecting retirement extensions or marriage extensions are likely to have grandfathered rights protecting existing extension holders.

I am not talking about the Thai authorities reneging on any deals. I am simply referring to the 1 year permission to stay that we all are granted regardless of the method used to achieve it. Once granted it's highly unlikely to be taken away from anyone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I am talking about the fact that however the 1 year permission to stay is achieved, once it's granted, TE members do not have a more secure permit to stay than anyone else. 

• A husband is granted permission to stay for 1 year at a time. A PE Visa holder is granted 1 year permission to stay at a time. The security of each permit to stay is exactly the same!

You are talking about the convenience that a PE Visa gives for arranging, possible, future permits to stay in advance. 

The PE visa is for 5 years. Nothing less.

Sometimes people on TV accuse users of being paid for posting positive comments on TE.... I wonder if some are actually paid for doing the opposite or whether they are just (...) 

Edited by DUS
  • Like 2

In MY mind, if the Sh*t hits the fan the PE/TE visa holders will be the last to get the kick in the a$$..... They still might be booted out but they will be the last, I´d think..... And if THEY are, boy, NO FARANG wants to live in LOS .... THAT`s for sure....

3 minutes ago, DUS said:

Sometimes people on TV accuse users of being paid for posting positive comments on TE.... I wonder if some are actually paid for doing the opposite or whether they are just (...) 

Or maybe some just want to correct the misinformation given by the uninformed so that people considering the scheme are able to make an informed decision.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Not necessarily directed at you DUS. 

If you are really that worried about Thailand's future you should probably be asking yourself whether you would relocate to Thailand in the first place. What type of visa to get is a secondary matter. If you feel Thailand is too risky to purchase a visa that is relatively a financial pin prick for most people, you should consider if you really want to move here. 

For many of us the move here actually costs more  than the visa with shipping, air tickets, deposits on condos etc. I also feel this is a reason you won't see the TE available ever for periods of under 5 years. The long term commitment is what they want and it weeds out people that are mere opportunists for the most part. 

I seem to be the exception to the rule and am not looking to spend my life in Thailand. It does occur to me from reading this thread most other Elite members have plans to spend a very long time here if not their remaining days in Thailand. 

It seems every month or so we have somebody come in here to just spout off at the mouth about a product they don't want to somehow inform others. Much like their transient visa solutions these people come and go. The people who are TE members stay the course and continue to express their satisfaction with the program. 

The people that continually come berate the program have no skin in it and like the sound of their own voices.  Anybody considering it should take the level of customer satisfaction into account and  that currently stands at 100%. Believe me if they screwed anybody over people would be crying foul here.  

Ah, I couldn´t agree more with you! Hitting the nail on the head ....

• Like 1

This has all been an interesting read for me. I'm seriously considering finishing work soon and am currently on an extension of stay via the work permit.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to join the Elite Program when I finish employment as the extension will cease with the work permit?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, newatthis said:

This has all been an interesting read for me. I'm seriously considering finishing work soon and am currently on an extension of stay via the work permit.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to join the Elite Program when I finish employment as the extension will cease with the work permit?

Thanks

The first step will be to contact Thai elite to do an application, get approval and pay the membership fee.

From reading other reports on doing a change from having an extension to a PE visa they had fly out and back to BKK airport and have the visa issued on entry to the country.

• Like 2