Politicians charged for 'disorting constitution' in private letters

webfact

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Private stops when laws are being broken or people are investigated,, or do you think the FBI and others never intercept mail ?

In this country its illegal to lie about the new draft.

If i send drugs through the mail i can't claim its private mail they can't intercept can I ?

We're not talking about drugs being sent through the mail though are we?

We're talking about a Junta Government, in power because it staged a coup to prevent an unfavourable (to them and their backers) election result, intercepting the private mail of their political opponents and detaining and putting them on trial for expressing entirely valid opinions, whilst all the time claiming to be engaged in restoring democracy.

Not quite the same thing is it?

Anyway credit where it is due, well done for leaping to the defence of a process which in any country with even the most feeble claim to democracy would be beyond the pale!

Incidentally, and quite changing the subject, looking at the OP photo, why go to the bother of covering your physog with a ski mask to hide your identity when you have a giant unit badge velcroed to your arm?

Edited by JAG

19 minutes ago, JAG said:

We're talking about a Junta Government, in power because it staged a coup to prevent an unfavourable (to them and their backers) election result, intercepting the private mail of their political opponents and detaining and putting them on trial for expressing entirely valid opinions, whilst all the time claiming to be engaged in restoring democracy.

Anyway credit where it is due, well done for leaping to the defence of a process which in any country with even the most feeble claim to democracy would be beyond the pale!

Incidentally, and quite changing the subject, looking at the OP photo, why go to the bother of covering your physog with a ski mask to hide your identity when you have a giant unit badge velcroed to your arm?

No we are talking about spreading blatant lies (allegedly) to boycot a referendum and that is against the law. So they are just looking for unlawful things and (maybe) have found some. I cant be sure as I have not read the letter and have not compared it with the draft constitution.

The badge you are talking about would not have their name and so on (so i hope otherwise it would be utterly stupid). But its quite normal to hide ones identity in the special forces and so on to make sure the criminals or terrorists don't know who arrested them so they can't take revenge. The badge is probably to identify them als special forces / law enforcement. Else everyone could pretend to be them (though i guess that is still possible I won't ask people with guns and ski masks for an ID )

11 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Depends on your point of view whether the letters represent a distortion or not.

No it doesn't. A deliberate lie is a deliberate lie. Simply expressing your opinion and perhaps explaining why you have that opinion is not a lie.

Which category do these letters' comments fall under? 

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Have you read the contents of all these letters? Can you share with us please?

If not, you are speculating that the comments are valid opinions rather than outright lies. And based on past experience PTP are somewhat known for lying.

In many countries security services monitor known possible trouble makers. Or are you really so naive to believe Western "democracies" don't do that? I don't think you are.

6 hours ago, tuanku said:

And your'e probably a white, South African, unreformed Boer judging by your post content.

There are no civilised countries where a personal interpretation of a political document expressed in a private letter, even if inaccurate or biased, will get you arrested. Better to call out these politicians and debate openly in a public forum than use the tools of state repression which were the hallmarks of apartheid South Africa as well as other infamous regimes.

Apart from your outrageous slur on South Africans, you are right that personal expressions between two people is only an issue in the sort of regimes that usually claim to be people's democracies. However, down right lying in mail shots aimed at stirring up the shit will get you into trouble in a great deal more countries.

7 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

These must be really dangerous fellows when looking at the SWAT team above. The Junta has already enshrined in "law" their get out of jail free card. God only if he exists will be their final judge. 

so while the junta is allowed to give themselves rolling amnesty for all past, present and future acts, these politicians are going to have junta-justice. It seems a new innovation above and beyond in-camera, military courts. Now the junta is also appointing the lawyers who will represent these guys in the military courts. 

That's not just weird, that is shameless.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If not, you are speculating that the comments are valid opinions rather than outright lies. And based on past experience PTP are somewhat known for lying.

In many countries security services monitor known possible trouble makers. Or are you really so naive to believe Western "democracies" don't do that? I don't think you are.

No I haven't read these letters. No one apart from the recipients and the Junta, who saw fit to intercept them have. The Junta have initiated criminal proceedings on the basis ( undisclosed in any detail it would seem) of their assessment of their content. Given the less than transparent nature of their legal processes - opaque is probably a better term -  it is almost certain that the details will never be madr public. No matter, it will suffice to bang up a number of their opponents, and ensure that they are " banned from politics" for a significant term. A result which no doubt you will applaud, given your oft stated total contempt for the political and democratic rights of the Thai people. 

I was a little bit suprised at Roblock supporting such a blatant fascist approach to political freedoms, but in your case I rather expected it. As ever you don't disapoint.

15 hours ago, robblok said:

It really depend what they wrote, if what they wrote is clear lies and can be proven as untrue then yes they should be punished. 

If they say the healthcare 30 bt will be abolished and it is not that would be a clear lie and a way to sabotage the process. In that case yes guilty. 

Remember politicians fearing this new constitution because of the heavy punishments for corruption and the fact that the army keeps a tight leash on them. So what they say is not the truth per se. 

Really ? Really ? Are you seriously saying that politicians who lie needs to be punished ? In that case there won't be many politicians left anywhere in the world.

Now what about people that staged a coup and lie, should they be punished as well ? What about the lie that this charter will return democracy to Thailand. You yourself seem to agree that is a lie, as in a democracy the army doesn't keep a tight leash on the people with an electoral mandate.

You should be ashamed about this genuine idiotic post.

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Private stops when laws are being broken or people are investigated,, or do you think the FBI and others never intercept mail ?

If i send drugs through the mail i can't claim its private mail they can't intercept can I ?

In this country it was also illegal to stage a coup, yet those people have not been punished and are the drafters of the ludicrous referendum act. Best not mention laws, the ones you so heavily support broke a shitload of them, and remain unpunished...

Edited by sjaak327

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Have you ? Has anyone ?

A picture becomes apparent here. Politicans are being rounded up, and being charged, yet the evidence will never be made public. They are not allowed to see their laywers and are tried in a military court. Do I really need to explain that this picture has nothing to do with justice ?

Incidentially precious little countries would charge politicians with telling outright lies. And the few that do, probably have a much more transparant justice system..

Oh, in western democracies, people who oppose certain legislation are not considered trouble makers, in a democracy opposing legislation is part of the game. Do I really have to explain how democracy actually works ? Seems you have been severly blinded by the Junta's bullshit, or are misguided somehow. I feel for you, I really do.

Edited by sjaak327

It's now past the point of no return.
Any sensible person knows opposing government laws proposed is the role of opposition. This includes information that may or may not be factual.
The government releases porkies ( see polls)

Thailand is a dark place.
This is straight out junta practice of rounding up opponents.
Thailand has the capacity to become a dangerous place, when military kangaroo courts are jailing powerful people.

In a way I welcome all this as its part of speeding up the process.
There is no processes open to the people .
International sanctions failed to materialise .
People continue to be oppressed.
This charter is an undemocratic article that if passed allow the military to stay on.
If it is defeated they do anyway.

Is this right? 

A military that overthrew an elected government , and has ruled by fear and gun?

But darker times ahead.
This situation has the potential to explode in coming weeks or months.
This is no longer a stale mate situation.
The odds the people will rebel just shortened dramatically.

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Come on let's be a bit serious. You mean the FBI would be right to intercept mails from Trump or Clinton campaigners to check if they lie and then get the authors convicted by a military court? That would be the relevant comparison. Not comparing campaigning for a referendum with smuggling drugs. That's ridiculous! 

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Apart from your outrageous slur on South Africans, you are right that personal expressions between two people is only an issue in the sort of regimes that usually claim to be people's democracies. However, down right lying in mail shots aimed at stirring up the shit will get you into trouble in a great deal more countries.

So you have seen the contents of these letters and compared them with the charter? or are you just going by the statements of the super honest Junta agents and Police? And I have spent several years in South Africa and have many friends there from all sections of society, but there are some unreformed Apartheid supporters who still express the kind of reactionary views seen often on this forum amongst junta supporters, as for them any authoritarian regime is a good alternative to democracy. Many of the worst of them are now self-exiled from South Africa as racial equality is anathema to them and could well end up in places like Thailand where they sit at keyboards and spout their poison to the internet on forums such as this. I could of course be wrong, but there are indications with user names etc.