Thai cop turns himself in after shooting dead his future son-in-law

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What can one say? Did the officer really lose all self respect as well as respect for the public (which he is supposed to protect)? Okay, so he must have know that Sathit was in the office, so why didn't he wait for him outside and at least spare shocking other people in the office? Vengeance can be all consuming I guess and I've never been there so I don't really know how it feels. R.I.P. the daughter and the executed.

18 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

What can one say? Did the officer really lose all self respect as well as respect for the public (which he is supposed to protect)? 

Many would argue his action gained him respect AND benefitted the public.

20 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Vengeance can be all consuming I guess and I've never been there so I don't really know how it feels. 

It feels quite good.

Nothing can bring closure to the loss of a son or daughter...but this would be about as close as one could hope for.

10 hours ago, khwaibah said:

No on both accounts. Thai media lacks the translation ability of translating Thai to English and English to Thai so what you get is what you or read. Try Google translate for a laugh. At the same time in Thailand if you hold a women hand  the mind set is your married this is face and face is a seriously big thing not only in Thailand but all of asia.

Google translate is pretty bad, but they have a mechanism whereby you can make it better. If it gives you a translation which you know is wrong, if you know what it should be, there's a thingy you can click to enter the corrected translation. Their machine learning depends on reading many thousands of texts which are good translations of one language to another and applying statistical algorithms to decide how to translate. This is a good approach, because information is transmitted in phrases, not single words. I understand languages like French and German fare much better because there's a much bigger supply of translations already available in machine-readable formats. If you think Google Translate is bad, you should try Bing Translate, which is what Wossisname Zuckerberg uses at Facebook. Awful.

10 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

and, more importantly, traumatize all those people in that room including any kids 

unlike the video games theyll play where they kill everyone

Can you "blame" the father? Yes, you can "blame" him for his actions, murder. Can you sympathize and agree that this is not exactly the same as a person of clear mind, criminal intent,  and rational judgment planning and carrying out the same crime? I can draw a difference. It is called a "crime of passion". he was punishing someone, in his mind for the crime of murdering his daughter. The man had unbearable pain, anguish,  and grief, which none of you can imagine unless you've lost a son or daughter or husband or wife to any form of violence under similar circumstances, convinced that it was deliberate. It is more than enough to unhinge someone's mind. In this country he might plead temporary insanity, or probably take a plea for 2nd degree murder or manslaughter, do some time, and get paroled in time to at least TRY to have some life in his remaining years. The US court would undoubtedly consider his loss and his state of mind, his lack of any prior crimes, and his service as a police officer if he was a good cop. The court would not view this the same as a common criminal. I don't know how Thailand handles such things. Now two families have tragedies that they may never recover from. I will add that I have experienced that kind of pain and anguish, and come very close to making mistakes that could have ruined my life, but for the grace of God, and I did not. 

Objective, subjective and touching; all in one excellent post.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Thankfully he didn't injure/maim/kill any of the other folks in the room.

"He shot Sathit two or three times at point blank range as the public waiting to be seen scattered in fear. Then when he saw that Sathit was still not dead Damri finished him off with another shot. "

Obviously he had been on several RTP marksmanship courses.......

for example in the middle east  and in albania serbia etc. vendetta is the way to do things...you kill my daughter i killl u or ur child or ur brother etc etc....a circle arises where kids are growing up and knowing they have to kill a few to equal out....and its their way of  life...adrenaline junkys as they never know if they would still be alive in the evening...

action direct....now i think the cop in this story is relieved and happy as he had kept his face.....

if an accident happenes and a thai is involved maybe ur gf or wife and she is close to her family or brothers etc....always appologise to them and do as much as u can to relieve their pain...it might save ur life...

good / bad ---right/wrong ---a bullet moving ur way dont care neither do the worms that feed at ur dead cold body...

nature at work

"walk into a place to do something that will effectively end his life as a free man for ever,"
are you joking or dont know thailand? he is a policeman, he is "allowed" to to that, possibly he will be transfered to another post for some time, but he will not spend a single day in jail.for most thais this is an understandable act of self-justice, that is tolerated in thailand. no judge will dare to convict him, or else he will meet the same fate.

I feel sorry for the police officer, obviously he knew something was fishy about his daughters death
and wanted to see the same justice dished out to the perpetrator.

If the deceased was a farang it would go down as "suicide" but somehow I think he's in deeper trouble

23 hours ago, Yoram said:

Here's a man, who's with full and alert minds, walk into a place to do something that will effectively end his life as a free man for ever, selfishly leave his family behind to preform a vendetta, and still go ahead with that, I'm lost for words.

We are talking about the mind of a Thai and a policeman to boot, no contest.

11 hours ago, bangon04 said:

"He shot Sathit two or three times at point blank range as the public waiting to be seen scattered in fear. Then when he saw that Sathit was still not dead Damri finished him off with another shot. "

Obviously he had been on several RTP marksmanship courses.......

The SAS method is 2 in the body, and one in the head, or so I read.

On 5 สิงหาคม 2559 at 9:35 AM, Yoram said:

Here's a man, who's with full and alert minds, walk into a place to do something that will effectively end his life as a free man for ever, selfishly leave his family behind to preform a vendetta, and still go ahead with that, I'm lost for words.

I'm going with the version that she was murdered for some reason, and he knew justice would never happen.

I guess she was the best thing in his life.

On Friday, August 05, 2016 at 9:38 AM, LannaGuy said:

"your book" huh?  Policeman goes into a room full of old and young (traumatized now for the rest of their lives) and shoots a guy dead and you would think "ok in your book" if it was USA?

I suggest engaging brain and rewriting "your book"

I think your"book" is just fine.  As a father AND a Senior PoIiceman he realized that the Thai Justice system would not provide "justice" for killing his Daughter.  He delivered justice and now is willing to pay the price by turning himself in.  You have to hand it to him for not running like "most" in this country would do.

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think your"book" is just fine.  As a father AND a Senior PoIiceman he realized that the Thai Justice system would not provide "justice" for killing his Daughter.  He delivered justice and now is willing to pay the price by turning himself in.  You have to hand it to him for not running like "most" in this country would do.

a 'senior policeman'  is this new information?

'killing' his daughter? how have you arrived at that?

'delivered justice'?

anyway my point was none of that it was the utter selfishness of doing it in front of families in that public place traumatizing their lives for the rest of their lives

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Does it happen often here for a pillion rider to fall off the back of a motorbike and die?

yes 

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

I have heard of several deaths of passengers falling off bikes and it would be very difficult, I'd say, for the rider to somehow 'throw them off and kill them'

Edited by LannaGuy

On 05/08/2016 at 2:37 PM, ClutchClark said:

Here is a question for you Mr Vocabulary.

Would the expression, "<deleted>", be used correctly to identify someone on TVF who talks trash like you did above with no intelligence to back up his post.

Because I don't want you to be called such a name, I will do you the kindness of enlightening your own defficient intellect on this topic.

The original news article indicated the recently deceased ex-boyfriend of the police officer's daughter was, in fact, currently married to another woman when he proposed to the officer's daughter. She declined his proposal.

Furthermore, since he was already legally and currently married to a different woman any marriage proposal, even if accepted, would result in a "null & void" new marriage and therefore he could never have been an erstwhile (former) husband-to-be of the policemans daughter.

He was at most a suitor, a boyfriend, a lover.

Wether suitor, boyfriend or lover he is still 'erstwhile'

Poor understanding - again!

An eye for an eye. 

A dead son for a dead daughter. 

How did she just happen to fall off a motorbike when there was no accident. He just did what any other parent with a dead child, wishes they had the courage to do. 

Hope he gets a suspended sentence. 

47 minutes ago, adwbkk said:

Wether suitor, boyfriend or lover he is still 'erstwhile'

Poor understanding - again!

Atta boy.

I see you have now corrected your error and no longer claim he was once the erstwhile "son-in-law". 

I am glad I could help get you there.

Edited by ClutchClark

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

yes 

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

I have heard of several deaths of passengers falling off bikes and it would be very difficult, I'd say, for the rider to somehow 'throw them off and kill them'

I am genuinely appreciative of you answering so thoroughly but having been a motorcycle rider for seversl decades and often riding "two up" I would say it is wuite easy to get a pillion rider to fall off the back of a bike without even a push. 

You simply wait until the pillion is not paying close attention and not holding on tightly and then play the throttle or swerve. 

Pillion rider typically only holds on tight at specific times in the ride when they can see a change in the bike's vector is ahead (stop, go, lane change, etc) but the majority of the time they hang on very loosely because they trust the rider. BTW, have you seen the habit of many female pillion riders here in Thailand who ride "side-saddle"? 

I have great admiration for Thais on motorbikes because they are excellent riders. Not surprising when you see them riding pillion from the time they are an infant. I don't think it is common for a pillion position to fall off in the absence of an actual accident.

Ofcourse, we don't know the circumstances of how the daughter fell off the bike but the father would be privy to that info.

Have a good night.

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Atta boy.

I see you have now corrected your error and no longer claim he was once the erstwhile "son-in-law". 

I am glad I could help get you there.

Mmm.... You haven't gotten me there yet.

"Damri told his superior that he had consented to sathits proposal for his daughter, earlier this year, but they later had a conflict when it was discovered that sathit was already married with some kids..."   (Paragraph six of lead post)

this indicates that a proposal was both made and accepted... Meaning sathit was indeed the erstwhile son in law.... ( or daughters betrothed)... For a short period, at least.

besides, for all we know, sathit was about to leave his origional wife and start over... In which case, the proposal might have been genuine and long lived.

but if the vocabulary police are really out for blood.... There's plenty of other fodder out there to feed on... That is, of course, providing no extra blood still needs spilling over this terrible series of events

RIP to them both, and "correct" wording or not, I hope that the execution was actually justified.... (That Poppa bears information was accurate)....At least it's a change from the indiscriminate randomness of terrorism

Edited by farcanell