19 Year-Old British Backpacker Recuperating after Fall from Mae Wang Waterfall in Kamphaeng Phet, Province

webfact

19 Year-Old British Backpacker Recuperating after Fall from Mae Wang Waterfall in Kamphaeng Phet, Province

nc.jpg

Natalie Cook recuperates, with her mother after falling from waterfall in Mae Wang national park.

LEEDS – 19 year-old British backpacker, Natalie Cook  has been left “extremely traumatised” after plunging from a waterfall in Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand, suffering deep cuts and breaking several major bones before being carried out of the jungle by her fellow tourists.

Natalie Cook, was left with a broken pelvis and fractured femur after she lost her footing and fell 10 metres on to jagged rocks in the popular Mae Wang national park.

The teenager, from Leeds, claims she was given no safety briefing by Gap 360, the travel firm that organised her trip, and says she has issued a claim against it for compensation.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/19-year-old-british-backpacker-recuperating-after-fall-from-mae-wang-waterfall-in-kamphaeng-phet-province.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2016-08-05

"...claims she was given no safety briefing by Gap 360"

Warning: You are going into the jungle in Thailand, it's a dangerous place with hazardous areas.. Please be sure to bring an adequate supply of common sense.Thank you.

Aside from that, I hope she recovers soon.

https://www.gap360.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwz4u9BRCbioK3stnBznESJADA75xbtfGmBObguUY1OglrMb1T_6isBjRLZeGV6z0pDuPyshoC3qPw_wcB

Edited by ratcatcher
add link

If they [the guides on the trip] had said to me: ‘Don’t go in the waterfall, it’s dangerous,’ I wouldn’t have climbed up it – but nobody said anything at all.

Duh...

'Don't put your hand in a fire'

'Don't stick your fingers in electric plug sockets'

'Don't drink and drive'

'Don't screw without a condom'

etc etc etc

Does this young woman even know what 'common sense' is?

48 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Duh...

'Don't put your hand in a fire'

'Don't stick your fingers in electric plug sockets'

'Don't drink and drive'

'Don't screw without a condom'

etc etc etc

Does this young woman even know what 'common sense' is?

No,  she was never issued with it so there's another lawsuit opportunity for her.

This is what happens when you live in a country where you can't even be trusted to take your unfinished food home from a restaurant (you might leave it on the counter for 3 days, eat it, get sick, sue te restaurant...and win :coffee1:

Edited by SABloke

18 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....after decades of raking in the dough they should dish out a little cash to make sure that tourists do not break their necks at such 'popular tourist locations'....

...or close them to the public....

Are you suggesting that every popular location in the country (or world) where tourists visit, that has areas where it can be dangerous, must have safety barriers, cautionary signage etc. 

Wait for the day when people obey the "Stay in your vehicle" signs at African game parks. There's no signage better than this:

stupid.jpg

A lot of quick judgements here of young lady. We do not know the full facts. In Europe if you take teenagers into problematic situations we are likely liable so if the tourist guide was negligent so be it. Thailand has a very high accident rate and must catch up with western world. It is shameful the way babies are carried on motorbikes and handle bars. It needs to look at tourist situations too. 

Edited by peter48

2 minutes ago, peter48 said:

A lot of quick judgements here of young lady. We do not know the full facts. In Europe if you take teenagers into problematic situations we are likely liable so if the tourist guide was negligent so be it. Thailand has a very accident rate and must catch up with western world. It is shameful the way babies are carried on motorbikes and handle bars. It needs to look at tourist situations too. 

If she is old enough to travel around the world she should have the knowledge that Asia is not a nanny state, she should be able to look at the situation and decide if safe for or not.

The motorbike is the only family transport system for most  or a large percent of families here, it's how it is, they understand the risks, but look at in a different way than Western people. As they should, it's their country. 

Is this Mae Wang waterfall in Chiang Rai province or Mae Wong waterfall in Khampaeng Phet province?

I live next to Mae Wong in KPP but when I Googled Mae Wang it is in CR province which is at least 500 km apart.

In any case water and rocks are slippery and if it is SO dangerous how come no other members of the tour group were injured.

Climbing wet rocks wearing no shoes and a bikini isn't exactly the safest thing to do. Any one with any common sense should know that.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Climbing wet rocks wearing no shoes and a bikini isn't exactly the safest thing to do. Any one with any common sense should know that.

She should have gone to Sticky Waterfalls in Chiang Mai. You can walk up the waterfall in your bare feet with no slipping.

As for common sense, 3rd world countries are usually dangerous for young western women, if you don't want the risk stay at home

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I agree and compounding her daftness is publishing a photo of her climbing the slippery waterfall. 

This girl is getting a lot of criticism because she did something most of us would realise was dangerous without taking proper precautions. However she is a 19 year old who has little experience of the outside world by the sound of  things.

Lets be fair she knew enough about her limitations to go on a guided tour with a UK company [who no doubt gave plenty of reassurances about their services] where she expected to be supported and educated about the dangers she might face.

Yes common sense would dictate against what she did, but lets give her some leeway...

As for the lawsuit she is pursuing, yeah it's sad but that's the world we live in now.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

If she is old enough to travel around the world she should have the knowledge that Asia is not a nanny state, she should be able to look at the situation and decide if safe for or not.

The motorbike is the only family transport system for most  or a large percent of families here, it's how it is, they understand the risks, but look at in a different way than Western people. As they should, it's their country. 

Hi chrissables

i know of many situations where I have seen youngsters defying all warnings and take imprudent decisions.that does not mean that authorities are absolved from putting up proper signage warning visitors of potential dangers  at tourist sites.

i can assure readers that the young lady is not ready to read wise cracks. her medical situation is serious.pelvic fracture, besides the pain, can make life miserable. speedy recovery to you young lady.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

And who says Thais are not innovative?

Brilliant !

Edited by sahibji

a serious misadventure.

youngsters want to reach where others have not.they take greater risk in reaching the best viewpoints.

unfortunately this is a horrific accident.

speedy recovery. you must be in terrible pain.

For whatever the reason/s, this girl ended up being very seriously injured and if I read the UK media correctly, she is back in the UK recuperating and that could take months.

to point fingers is not positive but I will make a positive statement and that is Kudos to the Thai medical care she received immediately following her accident. They must have done a brilliant job.

i also note that as she is back in the uk, it would appear she was covered for her medical costs and that there was no call for a whip round to Casevac her. 

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

Is 500 km difference in distance and two completely different provinces pedantic?

Obviously the simple question I asked was too difficult for you to answer.

That is like saying that BKK is in CM province when in truth it is hundreds of KM away

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Is 500 km difference in distance and two completely different provinces pedantic?

Obviously the simple question I asked was too difficult for you to answer.

That is like saying that BKK is in CM province when in truth it is hundreds of KM away

It said it right in the title of the thread. Please take a look I gave you your answer. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 2.24.43 PM.png

Edited by anotheruser

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

It said it right in the title of the thread. Please take a look I gave you your answer. 

Now please do a Google search to find where the Mae Wang waterfall is and where the Mae Wong waterfall is.

A clue might be that the newspaper report was from Chiang Rai which is nowhere near Khampaeng Phet which is situated about 400 km north west of Bangkok. Chiang Rai is north of Chiang which in itself is some 6 to 700 km north of Bangkok.

You may also like to look at Google Earth as well.

http://chiangmai.sawadee.com/waterfalls.html#MaeWang

Mae Wang Waterfall

Mae Wang Waterfall

Mae Wang Waterfall a part of the Mae Wang National Park. A one-storey high waterfall about 20 meters, 10 meters wide with water throughout the year as the most beautiful place of the river water. Forest surrounding the waterfalls dipterocarp forest, mixed deciduous, dry dipterocarp forest and mixed pine rainforest. Along the path to the point of natural water basins under waterfall suitable for activities such as swimming.

How to get there
From Chiang Mai City, take the highway no.108 (Chiang Mai - Hod route) distance of 21 kilometres and turn right on the road no. 10240 to Mae Wang the distance of 36 kilometres

Administered by Mae Wang National Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Wong_National_Park

Mae Wong National Park is situated in the Dawna Range.

This park lies in Mae Wong and Mae Poen districts of Nakhon Sawan Province and Pang Sila Thong district of Kamphaeng Phet Province, the West of Thailand.

The park is very rugged and hilly along the Dawna Mountain Range, especially on the north and west. With the highest peak, Khao Mo Ko Chu at 1,964 m. above sea level it is one of highest mountain ranges in Thailand. Three main rivers of which the Mae Wong River is the biggest drain the park. The famous places in the park are Mae Krasa, Mae Rewa, Mae Ki Waterfalls, Mokochu Peak and Chong Yen.

Is that any easier for you?